Sign in to follow this  
remilton

F/A-18 landing gear wrong in Acceleration

Based on the screenshots I've seen of the F/A-18 sitting idle on the carrier deck and tarmac, seems it sits too high in the back, the rear landing gear should be compressed more, the plane looks to be in a nose down postion even with the launch bar up.

Guest stevehow

Yep i'm with you Jim...BUT..i did notice there were NO dead flies on it!! not one anywhere...outrageous!!!!!:-smile12 steve

Guest Shocky

He is only observing! sheesh what's up with people lately.. :-rollI bet if the add-on was by PMDG or whatever people would have jumped right on top of it saying it didn't look good or it should be this or it should be that.But since it is by Microsoft and only 30$ bucks critisism is suddenly not allowed anymore.. :-waveshocky :-hahhttp://img7.exs.cx/img7/5379/Banner21.jpg

>He is only>observing! sheesh what's up with people lately.. :-roll>>I bet if the add-on was by PMDG or whatever people would have>jumped right on top of it saying it didn't look good or it>should be this or it should be that.>>But since it is by Microsoft and only 30$ bucks critisism is>suddenly not allowed anymore.. Actually, all three new models and gauge systems were created by contracted, professional third-parties......all of whom are well-known and respected folks from extremely popular companies... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest N6722c

>>He is>only>>observing! sheesh what's up with people lately.. :-roll>>>>I bet if the add-on was by PMDG or whatever people would>have>>jumped right on top of it saying it didn't look good or it>>should be this or it should be that.>>>>But since it is by Microsoft and only 30$ bucks critisism is>>suddenly not allowed anymore.. >>Actually, all three new models and gauge systems were created>by contracted, professional third-parties...>>...all of whom are well-known and respected folks from>extremely popular companies... :)>Shame they did not contract out the MULTIPLAYER system as well :(

Nope! The real aircraft also sets up high in the rear. There are two reasons. One, on the catapult, if the aircraft were not high in the rear, the inertia from being "tied down to the deck" for takeoff would cause the aircraft to bottom out in the back.Two, when you land the F-18 there is a tremendous force on the rear on the aircraft - something like a "controlled crash." In addition, there is very little flair in the landing so you want the main gear to get on the deck ASAP. If you view a landing in slow motion you can see the main gear compress quite rapidly and the tail hook protrudes between the wheels to catch the wire.fb

Now it's been a few years since I worked on a carrier flight deck - but my memory of the F-18 was that it did sit up in the back.The compression for the main gear is built to take 4, 5 or more G on landing on the carrier desk. Of course ready to take that compression load, the gear do not compress much when the aircraft is empty on the deck. With a full load of fuel and weapons, it goes down a bit, but no more than 20-25%.If my memory is right - one of the design goals for the F-18 was to have a lighter, but highly compressible, landing gear as opposed to some traditional Navy fighters. Trying to increase the number of carrier landing cycles this model aircraft could take before major inspections and rebuilds. That was a real issue on the F-14.It's a 10,000 kg aircraft with 5,000 kg of fuel internal, 3,000 kg of fuel external and 7,000 kg of external weapons.I'd have to see some screen shots super imposed over read aircraft photos in similar weight configurations to be sure.

>In addition, there is very little flair in the landing so you>want the main gear to get on the deck ASAP. To be more exact, there is NO flare on a standard F/A-18 landing, regardless of whether landing on a carrier or a normal runway.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest fsxmissionguy

jymp,IANA Boing engineer ... however, given the reduced weight by removing the weapons infrastucture, the rear struts would not sit quite as low, seems to me.And lemme tell you something ... this baby is FUN TO FLY. I have a whole new respect for the military guys who can put this thing down in a 50-foot box and get her stopped without damaging those rear struts.

It's a small point, but it looks more like the gear is in the unloaded pre-touchdown position.Ron

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

The struts do, indeed, appear to be deloaded. That said, and in general, I see nothing exceptional about this external model.Doug

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.