Sign in to follow this  
remilton

F/A-18 landing gear wrong in Acceleration

>there are many men and>women who have died for the right of freedom of speech, you>don't like it, move to another country. Off the soap box,>end of discussion.I am an American - a "Florida Cracker" specifically - yet I still think the comment above is completely unwarranted and misplaced, given that this is an INTERNATIONAL forum.Not everyone posting here is from the U.S. you know!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill is very correct here.Besides the fact that you are posting on private property, it is also the internet, an international construct, and therefore saying things like "move to another country" doesn't really apply.I only mention this to reinforce the fact that things like that can get threads locked, and details and information like this from knowledgeable parties are always beneficial to the community, and I'd love to see more input from you when the Xpack comes out.

>Thanks for your input P-12C. Sorry for this, but I am not sure>if I understand your last two sentences correctly. Do you>refer to the real thing when writing "you can manually set the>flaps to half or full modes as well" or the Acceleration pack>Hornet? Thanks for your clarification.Sorry, I am talking about Acceleration.

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Sounds good. I'm all for more parameters that can be adjusted.WOZ

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Well I'm from Australia and when I read it it didn't offend me. He's letting off a bit of steam and I could see his point. Lets not all get too precious and sensitive here. The plain fact is that the FSX F18 is wrong but I'm advised that there are parameters in the cfg that can fix it. So it seems any further discussion is pointless.Cheers WOZ

Oh I wasn't saying that his post was offensive. Just I've seen plenty of threads get sidetracked by comments like that and nationalism, so I'm trying to keep it on topic.

>Do yourefer to the real thing when writing "you can manually set the>flaps to half or full modes as well" or the Acceleration pack>Hornet?Acceleration adds a several new features to the FSX engine that were added to support the FA-18 (and I guess 3rd parties will surely exploit), like multi-stage afterburners, launch bars, catapults, and an auto-flaps system.You will be able to choose one of the 3 flaps modes available (auto, half, full), but each one is automatic: by changing the mode you don't direcly control the extension, rather you change the autoflaps "strategy" to allow for larger angles, depending on Aoa and speed.

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Understood.RE W

An important consideration is the fact that in FSX the F-18 is loaded to approx 35,000 lbs, whereas the max gross weight for the aircraft is 56,000 lbs, which is definitely going to affect how the aircraft sits. Unfortunately there are no defined payload points whereby you can increase the weight using the UI, so I added my own ... WEIGHT_AND_BALANCE...station_load.1 = 10000, -35.5, 0.0, 0.0station_name.1 = "Stuff"(Note:couldn't figure out how to put square brackets in above) With this change I was able to load the plane up to max gross weight, which causes the struts to compress more, but still not quite as much as the real thing, IMO. The top image is max gross weight.178717.jpg

Guest S77th-GOYA

It's not a matter of being underweight. It's simply modelled incorrectly. A fix has already been posted here that doesn't leave the plane constantly at max weight. I would imagine max weight would make carrier landings pretty interesting.

Guest tmilton

Excellent point Bill. I could not agree with you more. As an American, I have to wince when someone exhorts others to "move to another country", especially in an international setting, such as these forums. And especially when it is directed at another American. It reveals a degree of intolerance which is notably ironic in this case, considering it itself is a response to perceived intolerance from others. It certainly has no place on these forums.That being said, I also think Bill's initial response to jymp's observation about the struts was a bit unfortunate. Was it really necessary to react to his post by saying "Wow, I'll bet the tire pressure is off by one pound also".It really added nothing constructive and informative to the discussion, but came across as contemptuous and condescending. If you disagree with jymp and feel that he was mistaken and incorrect in his observation, then why not point it out to him in a non-mocking manner exactly where he was wrong instead of belittling him in this manner? Take a look at replies from fbass and RFields5421 in this thread for example. They are among others who disagree with jymp, but respectfully contribute an informative, intelligent, and constructive discussion on why they disagree. And I see some that agree with jymp's observation about the struts, also using constructive posts explaining their position.For me, the position of the struts is a minor issue. The fact is the F/A-18 model in Acceleration is incredible and it speaks volumes of the remarkable talent of the team that brought it to us. I know I'll certainly be enjoying this when it comes out.How about we all show a little less intolerance, and a little more intelligent discussion?

>Excellent point Bill. I could not agree with you more. As an>American, I have to wince when someone exhorts others to "move>to another country", especially in an international setting,>such as these forums. And especially when it is directed at>another American. It reveals a degree of intolerance which is>notably ironic in this case, considering it itself is a>response to perceived intolerance from others. It certainly>has no place on these forums.I think that the book "The Ugly American" should be required reading for all students. Having spent most of my formative years living in the Middle East (Tehran, Iran specifically), I frequently found myself cringing at some of the ignorant, off-the-wall comments made by supposed adults. During my high school years at Leysin American School in Leysin-Fedey, Switzerland, I most often would pretend I was a Canadian rather than an American when off-campus, just to avoid being stereotyped...>That being said, I also think Bill's initial response to>jymp's observation about the struts was a bit unfortunate. Was>it really necessary to react to his post by saying "Wow,>I'll bet the tire pressure is off by one pound also".Just for clarification, it was not me, but JSkorna who wrote what you are referring in the second paragraph!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest tmilton

>Just for clarification, it was not me, but JSkorna who>wrote what you are referring in the second paragraph!Sorry Bill, I apologize profusely for the embarrassing mixup in the names. I knew it was unlike you to make needless provoking comments like that. You are always exceptionally rational in your explanations, even in times of disagreements.I wish I could edit and correct my post, but I'm unable to do so due to the time limit. Everyone, please read "JSkorna" where it says "Bill" in my second paragraph from my first post in this thread.

Guest The Wizard of Oz

Exhibit 2:Just found this. Goto the photo well down in the article (under Popular Culture heading) and you'll see a wheel strut practically horizontal and the F18 does not appear to be all that loaded. Looks a lot like the video shot.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-18WOZ