Sign in to follow this  
Zangoose

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - Announce Trailer

What happens with this year's release schedule now? Do wet get any more Sim updates? World updates? 

Edited by MarcG

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

48 minutes ago, MikeyOnTheFlightDeck said:

I’m so confused. Why are they bringing out a new MSFS when there’s plenty still to fix on the current one, regardless if it’s an add on or not. They can’t even get the ATC right. Have they tried walking before running?

I think the finance department is telling them to "charge everyone again" to be able to keep paying everyone at Asobo

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MarcG said:

Jorg "we'll be supporting MSFS for ten years"

....2 years later

"Hey let's screw everyone over and release a sequel with no communication or specifics for anyone so they can play a guessing game!"

So there are 2 options for Microsoft to support MSFS over 10 years. Microsoft can support MSFS 2020 over 10 years, but the only way this can be done is to reduce the size of the team working on MSFS. If the MSFS marketplace can't pay for the budget for MSFS, then the first option is to simply cut staff working on MSFS over the years.  For example, reduce the team size to 50% after 2 years, then reduce it to 25% after 3 years, and by the 10th year, maybe the team size is 3% to 5% of the original team size. Technically, Microsoft is still supporting MSFS over 10 years, and they didn't break their promise, but with a very, very, small team by the 10th year of MSFS. This is what I thought they would do originally (and come out with a new version of MSFS in 2030).

The second option is this, making a new version of MSFS like MSFS 2024.  This way, Microsoft gets another injection of cash, which can help pay for the MSFS team for another few years. And then we will probably get a new MSFS in 2028/2029, etc, so the MSFS team size can stay roughly the same, and MSFS can keep advancing.

IMO, if the price of MSFS 2024 is reasonable, and if many of the add-ons require very little updating to upgrade to MSFS 2024, I am not against this, because MSFS has rapidly improved over the last few years. In fact, MSFS is getting closer and closer, to a the "holy grail" of what a flight simulator can possibly do, given the technological constraints in 2023.

What I would be against though, is if add-ons are largely incompatible with MSFS 2024, and also add-on developers like PMDG charge us an arm and a leg to upgrade to MSFS 2024. I hope this is not the case, but I guess we will see.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 9
  • Upvote 4

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

14 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

Ahh, this came earlier than I expected. I was actually thinking a new version of MSFS would come in 2030, and that Microsoft would reduce the size of the team working on MSFS over the years. I was a bit surprised that the MSFS team never really reduced in size over the last few years, and perhaps, it grew even larger over the last few years.

The revenue has to come from somewhere, so a new version of MSFS in 2024 will help pay for the MSFS team, assuming the MSFS team remains the same size, or perhaps even grows larger.

I just hope that the add-ons we bought, especially scenery and planes, will be mostly compatible with MSFS 2024. I suspect some of the planes, especially the high fidelity ones, will need some updates. I wonder how PMDG and Fenix will handle this, and whether they will charge a small fee for the update, or perhaps make it free (somehow, I don't think they will make it free, but a reasonable fee to update from 2020 to 2024 would be reasonable).

My guess was it would have been done at the 5 year mark. 

It seems like they're doing core updates at the same time as enhancements, which is driving people crazy.  To me it seems like they're walking and chewing gum at the same time.  Most people still have the ESP mind set that each version is static and relies on one being done before the other can start.  Not saying that's not a valid concern without any context from the initial announcement, but most people aren't far sighted enough to see that, IMO.

As far as the trailer goes, I don't really see anything that justifies a NEW version.  Like others have pointed out, seasons, cloud rendering, etc.  It still could be all WIP, but I would have thought for new version they might have had to change the cloud rendering to be totally new.  You can see in the tornado scene that there is no wall cloud.  For a mature storm like that there would most certainly be a wall could, in inflow tail along with the parent MESO.  Now we can't have everything, granted, but it kind of limits how much forward progress you can make.

Edited by Jeff Nielsen
  • Like 2

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Nah… not for me. I am really happy with FS98. Great FPS and I have a lot of addons, I think I will skip this one………

Also the water looks much better in FS98 then in later versions!

Edited by rob0203
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sticky said:

Saw that too. Also noticed on their June 8th update seasons were changed back to "planned". I realize MS2024 is still aways away....but...hope it's not just tree colors.

I wouldn't hold my breath. It seems the community has taken this as more of a negative announcement than probably what they anticipated, but that's on them - they could have added a FAQ or a post in MSFS forums to help alleviate peoples' fears.

I recall being stoked for MSFS 2020 alpha and then when I joined, sure it was a graphical achievement, no doubt... but the native airplanes from Asobo/MS were a joke. How could they have created a brand new sequel and seemingly can't even handle the amount of current bugs, issues in MSFS 2020. I think that's where most of us are a bit hesitant to think this is going to be life changing.

As long as I can still enjoy all of my paid addons, scenery AND still do flying that I want to do in a "realistic" way, then sure I'm stoked.

If this is more focused just on missions/career side and the actual core sim isn't really improved upon, then not sure this will be a success.

PS - it seems xbox is already struggling in current sim; curious how this will go in MSFS 2024.

Wow, they left “hours” of questions and speculation with a 2-minute video.  Déjà Vu…

At best, I think that MSFS2020 owners can expect a free core update (fixes, core engine etc) with having to pay for additional features. As mentioned in this thread, other developers have gone this route.

But at the end of the day, MSFS / Asobo is in the business to make money; and like any other business, they will seek to maximize profits amid “offering” free content or “donating” proceeds for other causes. “Somebody” is paying for those “free” credit card rewards; nothing is for free…the financial burden is just shifted / dispersed elsewhere, or a loss leader to get you hooked / interested to buy more.

MSFS is not obligated to hand out free additional content / features just like the consumer is not obligated to pay for additional content / features.

Either way, I’m in 100%. Frequent development…check, growing the dev team…check, new features and content…check, offering the latest and greatest tech…check. I did not have that pre-2020 flight sim era, and I spent a lot of money investing in Sims that offered “none” of the above.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

I think for us, it will be just merely 'upgrading' to the latest version, for a fee, so to speak.

hopefully.. Would be totally fine for me to pay for an upgrade. They gave us so much for free...

Edited by RTK1972
  • Like 5

Carsten U

2 minutes ago, rob0203 said:

Nah… not for me. I am really happy with FS98. Great FPS and I have a lot of addons, I think I will skip this one………

Yeah you're right me too.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 minutes ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

My guess was it would have been done at the 5 year mark. 

It seems like they're doing core updates at the same time as enhancements, which is driving people crazy.  To me it seems like they're walking and chewing gum at the same time.  Most people still have the ESP mind set that each version is static and relies on one being done before the other can start.  Not saying that's not a valid concern without any context from the initial announcement, but most people aren't far sighted enough to see that, IMO.

As far as the trailer goes, I don't really see anything that justifies a NEW version.  Like others have pointed out, seasons, cloud rendering, etc.  It still could be all WIP, but I would have thought for new version they might have had to change the cloud rendering to be totally new.  You can see in the tornado scene that there is no wall cloud.  For a mature storm like that there would most certainly be a wall could, in inflow tail along with the parent MESO.  Now we can't have everything, granted, but it kind of limits how much forward progress you can make.

Agreed, 100%.

Also, is the trailer just showing stand-alone missions where this really isn't even in the "core sim" (i.e. are we getting tornadoes in live weather? Are all mountain ranges have this amount of detail like we saw in the trailer heli rescue mission? I just don't believe that can be possible, by 2024, considering Asobo seem to have issue keeping up with current sim limitations/bugs.

Hope I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, abrams_tank said:

What I would be against though, is if add-ons are largely incompatible with MSFS 2024, and also add-on developers like PMDG charge us an arm and a leg to upgrade to MSFS 2024. I hope this is not the case, but I guess we will see.

The more you think about this the more it becomes obvious that our add ons will remain compatible imo.

Also, I have a feeling that those of us who paid top dollar for the stupa dupa top banana edition back in 2020 are going to be rewarded by Georg with a discount on this new edition.

I have to say; all those people moaning about how this and that hasn’t been fixed yet are simply missing the point….

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pmb said:

I fully acknowledge the work done by MS and Asobo and much enjoy MSFS nearly every day, but personally I would prefer a shift of resources to solving long-standing core issues. 

Am I a bad simmer in view of this?

Kind regards, Michael

You are obviously not a bad simmer Michael, Heavens forbid 😉!  Everybody   agrees  with you. But I don't see any long standing issue solved the the forthcoming months.   We will be lucky if some are solved in FS24 .

This franchise needs a large surge of sales  to continue. Or MS  will shut it off. Everything around this simple fact is fluff. 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Just now, RTK1972 said:

hopefully.. Would be totally fine for me to pay for an upgrade. That gave us so much for free...

Yeah, no doubt.  With all the free upgrades, scenery alone, we've paid for the sim 10 X over.

• Like 1

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

No problem for me if I have to buy a whole new version. As has been mentioned, this feels similar to the Train Sims etc. What would be an issue for me is if significant numbers of my existing addons ceased to be supported. I have spent a bundle on addons, and I really don't want to have to buy all that lot again.

And at the risk of sounding too paranoid, is there the potential issue that MSFS 2020 may become unavailable once 2024 is out? It's not like P3D or XP where you can just keep your old version to use.

Like everybody else here, I'm just speculating. Hopefully things will all go incredibly well and it certainly looks good in the trailer. But then from what I remember 2020 looked better in the trailers than on release <grin>

Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.