Sign in to follow this  
Zangoose

Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - Announce Trailer

6 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

It’s a whole new product, not an update or DLC for MSFS2020.

And obviously missions aren’t the only thing it’s adding. We saw a new airport and new aircraft in the trailer.

Nothing from the trailer indicates it's actually a whole new product.  I saw nothing new from the core engine in that trailer.  The core looks exactly the same to me.

Nothing indicates that any of the 'new' features couldn't be added to the existing sim.  In fact most of them were already planned for the current version and according to the FAQ will be added to the existing sim.

I really hope that MS will make it 'upgrade'able' from the current sim.  I know there's still a lot of time left for the details to come out, but I just don't see it.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Just now, lwt1971 said:

3D trees

Are we sure those aren’t just for the mission areas?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Jeff Nielsen said:

really hope that MS will make it 'upgrade'able' from the current sim

The Q&A and news post says it’s a stand alone product that will be supported alongside 2020.

Edited by Tuskin38

Just now, Tuskin38 said:

The Q&A and news post says it’s a stand alone product that will be supported along side 2020

Yes, I'm aware, I think you're missing my point.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Just now, Tuskin38 said:

Are we sure those aren’t just for the mission areas?

Can't really say can we.. .so yes could be just for the mission areas, but given that they mention "significantly evolved Asobo studio engine" and also the bit about "latest technologies in graphics ..." I'd say the chance for global 3D trees are more likely than just for the mission areas.

• Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system (Dell XPS 8960): i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Posted (edited)

Let me re-phrase:

In my opinion, I don't see any justification for a stand-alone product, and not an upgradable one, other than re-starting the franchise (which is valid).

I think they could make it upgradable while still accomplishing their marketing goals.

**Keeping in mind I have no idea what's actually happened to the back end.  We'll find out in due course, I suppose.**

Edited by Jeff Nielsen
  • Like 3

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

4 hours ago, bcuomo said:

Did you buy FS2004, then FSX?  How about XP 10, 11, 12..did you upgrade to any of those?  How about going from P3D 4 to 5?  If you did, you "fell for it.". How is this different than any of those? 

My wish is that there is an upgrade path that allows installing 2024 over 2020 (like how I upgraded from Windows 10 to 11) ...that will keep settings and installed add-ons intact. 

I didn't buy any of those, it was fs95 then fsx for me. But ATC worked and more or less the simulators delivered what they promised. They didn't promise (10 years support) that one could interpretate as "this will be THE platform for 10 years".
I didn't expect this betrayal after 3 years with the first 2 years being an incomplete game at best.
And still ATC is unusable, meteo is hit and miss, sometimes we lose storms, now I have no turbulence. And so on. 

• Like 1

R5 3600 - GTX 1070OC - 32GB 3200 - NVME - 3440x1440 160Hz - VR(Quest 2)
GarbagePoster

could it be that fs2024 will be focused on closed areas for specific missions and that we won’t be able to fly the world around?

20 minutes ago, EmaRacing said:

I didn't expect this betrayal after 3 years with the first 2 years being an incomplete game at best.
And still ATC is unusable, meteo is hit and miss, sometimes we lose storms, now I have no turbulence. And so on. 

Betrayal? Support is still guaranteed for FS20 for the coming years. Your content on FS20 will work on FS24 if you feel compelled to buy it. 

5 minutes ago, webstef68 said:

could it be that fs2024 will be focused on closed areas for specific missions and that we won’t be able to fly the world around?

I don't believe that would be the case - There is no indication of that either.

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

5 hours ago, lwt1971 said:

CFD for the core flight model is different from the CFD they're using for the atmospheric airflow simulation. And ya proper/full real-time CFD is out of reach of desktop hardware, but they've gone to great lengths here to try, and allow for finer resolution in computing via configuring parameters (https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/Developer_Mode/Aircraft_Editor/Debug/Debug_Aircraft_CFD.htm?agt=index).

In any case my main point here is that if they're really only catering to the XBox casual gamer crowd, why even go to the trouble of attempting such complexity in the sim? (and not only CFD, but all the high fidelity improvements to aircraft/avionics in the AAU updates, spending money on iniBuilds A310, etc).

Like I said on another post, MS/Asobo have already acknowledged multiple times in previous Q&As/etc the problem areas in the sim we simmers have complained about (i.e. ground handling, ATC, etc) and also mentioned multiple times how rework is coming for those. I think that's going to be now coming in the 2024 release, at least in some initial forms and then further refined afterwards. I just don't think the 2024 release is only about missions, that was just the focus for this specific teaser trailer meant for the XBox showcase event. Let's wait to actually hear more details from MS/Asobo in the coming days/months before jumping to worst-case-scenario conclusions 🙂

Well, I still hope it will be good. But i am not that optimistic. They tried to add all these things exactly because of the hardcore-folks that asked for it. But now, 2024 really looks like they will go even further into the game-stuff. I hope i’m wrong though 😊

i912900k, RTX 3090, 32GB RAM

Before we pass judgment on MSFS2024, here is flashback MSFS2020 announcement video from 2019. Tell me doesn't it look like gaming stuff not what "hardcore simmers" were asking for?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Omg - been away from Avsim for a week and this drops!  I am gobsmacked.

The activities look amazing enough but I would plunk down more money just for the the rotorwash amimation of grass and trees - something very important to a helicopter pilot and something I’d asked for on Zendesk in the past.  I will have to break the bad news to the family and friends that I’m going to be unavailable starting in 2024 😉

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Lucky38i said:

Betrayal? Support is still guaranteed for FS20 for the coming years. Your content on FS20 will work on FS24 if you feel compelled to buy it. 

Don’t expect much support for MSFS 2020 after 2024 releases. It’ll continue to work, but it’s not going to get much love from Asobo.

And it’s not “your content will work” but “your content should work…if the devs update it”.

Is it a “betrayal”? Kind of a low-grade betrayal I guess. Asobo insinuated things that are now probably not going to happen for MSFS 2020.

I personally dont mind too much and am excited to see what 2024 brings. But I do understand why some here are annoyed, and Avsim is actually pretty mellow compared to Reddit etc where the initial response was closer to outright mutiny - hence Microsoft’s rapid attempts at damage control.

• Like 3

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

1 hour ago, lwt1971 said:
  • seasons
  • 3D trees
  • moving grass and foliage based on local/nearby airflow
  • fires and other effects on scenery? (more particle effects i.e. water, fire, crop dusting, etc)
  • higher DEM and scenery resolution (i.e. Mt Kilimanjaro)
  • tornadoes hinting at improved weather simulation overall (when Asobo spoke in earlier Q&As about doing revamped amazing weather they spoke about such phenomenon like twisters)

• Way more fauna on the ground with actual herds in Africa for example.
  • Like 3

i5 11600K. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.