Sign in to follow this  
scotchegg

MSFS 2024 FAQ now up

48 minutes ago, cyril972 said:

Clearly you don’t have a clue about game development. That new sequel is almost done, nothing you’ll say now will change what it is.
Jorg is not stupid as you think and it was obvious from the start that compatibility was taken into account, I even believe the Cirrus VisionJet of the trailer is the same Cirrus we currently use from Flight FX. Without compatibility that new Flight just can’t get any sale….think about it in a buisness perspective…..poring tons of money into an SDK, into free content, then erase everything 3 year later…..that doesn’t makes any kind of sense…you want to build UPON, that’s what P3D does, that what Xplane does, that’s what MSFS will do 

FFX has indicated that is not there SF50 in their Discord.

Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi  i9900K, 64gb memory, 3070ti

Building: X670 Aorus Elite AX, X9750x3d, GSkill DDR5 6000 CL30-38-38-96 32gb, Gibabyte 3070ti, Noctua NH D15

58 minutes ago, cyril972 said:

Clearly you don’t have a clue about game development. That new sequel is almost done, nothing you’ll say now will change what it is.

Of course it's done ... the thing is how they market it, as a new game, or as sim update ...

2 hours ago, Fiorentoni said:

Couldn‘t have said it any better. I don‘t know what would be worse: That they didn‘t know how to communicate it better or that they didn‘t care, because… well they just want the XBox crowd to watch the video and buy MSFS 2024.
In any way it‘s inacceptable and reminds me of the early days when they were doing all kind of mistakes. Then as now I assume Microsoft behind this, pushing for sales and stuff and threatening to pull the plug. I actually was nostalgic of P3D‘s stability and predictibality today… go figure.

Ya the communication and PR on this certainly could've been done better. I'm thinking this fixed date XBox games showcase event was always meant to show teasers without further context/info like all the other new games announced there (i.e. like movie previews), and MS wanted MSFS 2024 to be also part of that series of teaser previews (and obviously the MSFS one was tailored for the XBox showcase so it focuses on the new missions features... there are hints there of core engine improvements and I'm sure we'll get more details on those soon).

What they should've done is to also prep the MSFS website and other sim sites/channels with this FAQ and other context info from the get go... maybe they are saving all that for FSExpo, but even then that's just a misstep in comms. Oh well, at least they clarified with this FAQ around 10 hours afterwards. I mean, it was pretty clear to me that they would *not* upend the SDK and require 3rd party devs to do a lot of rewrite in order to support 2024 after having come this far with MSFS 2020 and all the SUs/WUs/AAUs and courting of 3rd party devs, etc because that'd be suicide... but yes, it's only human nature for folks to assume the worst when clarity is lacking I guess.

Edited by lwt1971

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

I don't think Fortnite players are as dramatic as some of the people in this community.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 5

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

13 minutes ago, Krakin said:

I don't think Fortnite players are as dramatic as some of the people in this community.

Nice, then we'll have loot boxes for MSFS 2026 instead of buying modules 🙂

1 hour ago, Bernard Ducret said:

It is surprising to see how a multi-billion dollars company has yet to grasp the essence of a good commercial communication...

Beside the  awkward way it was announced, raising apprehension about compatibility  in their customer base, I do not understand the reason for it.  Why in Heavens are they announcing it so early ?  What do they gain from it ? 

They boast of tantalising stuff to come next year. What could be the basic reaction of a potential customer right now for FS20 or for an addon ? Lets wait for next year !   It cannot but maim the marginal commercial potential of the sim they have left and slow the sales of the Store  addons.

They want to prove something all right. To whom ?     

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I give, what's the "July Surprise" now??

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

10 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Is that Fortnite, or Fortnite 2024 you are talking about? :laugh:

It is certainly a bit of a drama up to now for something that should be really good positive news.  I bet it hasn't gone down as well as MS expected, but still, that is down to them.
I agree we should all try to take a breath and wait for more news.  Barely 24 hours have passed yet.  The marketing / communication isn't the best, but we know this already.  

Meanwhile, I have no major concerns for either MSFS2020 or 2024 as long as they continue to improve.  MSFS is still the best flight sim I have ever owned.

I do take the point about the 'basics' should be right though before adding more sweeteners. 
AI behaviour, ATC, Cirrus, ground handling, ground tiling issues, DX12 unfinished with no optimisation, and I bet people can add plenty to the list.
It would help confidence if they had a few sim updates (SU's) to get things fixed up before they took the next major step forward, as all of this will probably be carried over anyway to 2024.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

8 hours ago, DAD said:

Ok so we now have a basic faq. Not to put more oil in the fire but this leaves room for interpretation for direct purchases outside the marketplace:

Add-ons that were purchased from the in-simulator Marketplace will not need to be re-purchased in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024.

I don’t buy a single thing from the Marketplace. Wonderful.

Eric 

5 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

It would help confidence if they had a few sim updates (SU's) to get things fixed up before they took the next major step forward

Yeah this and World Peace

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 hours ago, cyril972 said:

That’s exactly the right way to behave, positive guys. The negativity around this announcement is honestly so sad to see.

Asobo and MS are currently doing a fantastic job, MSFS the best thing ever happened to the flight sim world, those guys showed multiple time they where listening to user. What we saw today is the announcement, the product is coming next year MS have pleinty time to give the community all the bells and whistles about this new product. Msfs 2020 will not be abandoned, compatibility is taken into account ….

Chill guys, simply wait and see what is comming

A fantastic job is debatable. Ive still got ATC issues, water masking issues, bing imagery changing as I fly over it etc, etc.

I'm nervous because they haven't exactly pulled out all the stops to fix major issues and their testing and QA is suspect at the best of times even when the whole community is pointing stuff out to them.

Then you've got the server issues. The servers are barely coping now. The amount of times you get dropped bandwidth messages, poor photogrammetry and poor streaming day in and day out is regular even with a great, stable connection.

So how do they support both? I guess we will see. When the sim runs as it should its a sight to behold and an amazing experience but a lot of the time its a bit of a mess and I don't think Asobo and MS have dealt with it THAT well.

Edited by Ant1975uk
  • Like 2

..... so with this politic when they will implement directx12 most of the graphics card will be directx13 ......

Intel I9-13900K @ 5,5 GHz, Gigabyte Z790 AORUS Master, 32 Gb Kingston Fury DDR5 @ 6000 MHz, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB 7,000/5,000MB/s, RX 6750 XT 12Gb, Samsung G5 LC32G55TQBUXEN WQHD, Windows 11.

8 hours ago, DAD said:

Ok so we now have a basic faq. Not to put more oil in the fire but this leaves room for interpretation for direct purchases outside the marketplace:

Add-ons that were purchased from the in-simulator Marketplace will not need to be re-purchased in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024.

Well, the way I see it is that if MS/Asobo are trying to ensure that marketplace add-ons don't need to be repurchased and will either work as-is/seamlessly or need some minor changes (going by their statement: "With very few exceptions, virtually all add-ons that work in Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) today will function in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024") .. then this means that the underlying SDK and frameworks used in developing for MSFS are not being radically changed and at the very least compatibility is being maintained to support currently written add-on code. So given all that, add-ons that sell outside the marketplace should then also be able to work in the 2024 version as-is, or require only minimal updates from the developer.

Now whether some devs get greedy and ask for a fee for such updates is another question entirely... I'd think if they wanted to stay in business they would not attempt such cash grabs. As one add-on developer simbol (FSReborn) has already stated in the other thread , the kind of updates that are likely to be required by add-on devs are probably no different from the changes from SU to SU or WU to WU in the current 2020 version.

• Upvote 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Have they said anything about servers? Will the 2020 servers be abandoned or will they run full 10 years?

Unfortunately as can be clearly seen in the 2024 promo they made sure to keep the dark horizon line plaguing the current sim.

• Like 1

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB