Sign in to follow this  
virtualstuff

Think it's finally time to say good-bye to FS9

Guest JimC1702

I've kept FS9 since installing FSX, but I've not run it since. Now that we have Ultimate Terrain and Flight Environment for FSX, and I have a nice fleet of payware planes, I think it's finally time to say good-bye to FS9. It will free up a tremendous amount of disk space for me.Hopefully SP2 will improve FSX performance even more and there will be no need for looking back.Jim

Yep, I did the same about 2 weeks ago....After seeing the FSX ground textures, I cannot go back to FS9's horrible resolution hehe.... it's just ugly...And with FTX on the way.....ooooh yeah!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I have made exactly one flight in FS9 since installing FSX, but for the time being, it is staying. Why? Well, just in case I want to fly in Alaska, or much of Europe, which I have many add-ons for FS9 not available yet for FSX.But after those areas are covered, I may consider it, but as my hard drive space is not an issue, I may keep it regardless.

Oh,oh...Looks like I gotta defend FS9. :-hah There's no FlightScenery Portland or Glacier Bay yet; but for just about everything else I prefer FSX for the high rez ground textures and bump mapping. With tons of HD left, it's no problem to keep both.L.Adamson

Or a descent 727-like aircraft. As a matter of fact, although I've flown FSX almost exclusively for the past few months, right now I am fying a 727 in FS9. I got rid of FS2002 too early when FS9 came out and I am NOT doing that again.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

I uninstalled FS9 a year ago, not by choice but my computer died a a month after getting FSX due to dust in the CPU fan. Got it running again but decided to free up disk space for the new incarnation. A month later bought a new PC, handed it down to my fourth eldest and haven't looked back.

see I never had PDX or Holger's sceneries heheI did have Grimshaw's Boston-Logan though!!! Match that up with the LvlD 767 and you're set for a nice flight!!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

If you never had Flight Sceneries PDX then I have to take that into account of your opinions on other things.Thanks for the disclosure!:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I was thinking in the same lines.... But I decided to keep the FS9 too on the account of,1. Flying from La Guardia (Great Freeware airport from Sheaz and Aerosoft's Manhattan into Flight scenery's Rhode Island and Fly Tampa's Boston.2. Fly Tampa's KSFO, KSAN, Vienna, St.BArth, would be sorely missed.3. Fly Tampa's KSEA and Flight sceneries KPDX Portland would also be missed.4. Aerosoft's Luckla (slopping runway)and the Kathmandu Freeware. 5. Aerosoft's Wasserkupe (sloping runway)6. The great freeware I have of Tel Aviv.The ones I just mentioned are the best and there is nothing like that yet in FSXManny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

I keep FS9 around for one - and only one - reason...I have to have it so I can continue to develop FS9 aircraft! ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Aerosoft's looks better than that tileproxy shot..plus you can use it at night:-doh

Eric 

Yeah but with both Aerosoft and Google it's like flying inside of a photograph! :*Where's the moving traffic in the city? :-lol The only reason I kept FS9 installed is because it's on my "old" machine!Since I'm retired, I spend money on myself (whenever "The Boss" allows it), and I can afford to build a "super" PC just in honor of the FSX!I am spending my kids inheritance! They can earn their own, like I did! H*ll... they earn more than I ever did anyway! :-lolPete S. :-wave

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)