Sign in to follow this  

Do acceleration and SP2 require clean install of FSX?

Just asking. I do not want to have to reinstall FSX to get benefits of either.Recall that SP1 required clean fresh install of FSX to work.ThanksGreg

Greg Clark

So......Geoffa. Can you give us some detail and impressions of the Acceleration Pack? How do you like it, and is it a significantly noticeable improvement over FSX with SP1 alone?Love to hear some of your observations.Stan

Well, I'll give you my two cents :-)DX10: Mainly subtle improvements, however, I do like new cockpit shading/light effects in the VC. That to me is the most noticeable thing. Frame rate improvement: It's said to be there, but I personally don't notice anything massive. You're still going to want to a decent machine. Don't expect a a miracle drug.Racing isn't my thing but the new missions are kinda fun.The F18 is beautiful and you'll want your Track IR to take full advantage of it in the VC. Big thing: I think Acceleration will really appeal to your typical punter at Walmart (especially when they see the F18), so I think this will be good to help ensure the MS FS series lifespan and bring new members into the community.Cheers,Bryan

Well, that sure doesn't sound too exciting. However, it is the next part of the "evolution" of the sim considering SP2 is in there.Did I understand correctly that Acceleration will NOT be a downloadable file...but only be sold in retail establishments?Stan

This is the impression I've got, yes.Personally, I found the racing to be very exciting and the carrier ops more so, but that just might be me.

Guest Lith1um

I asked the same question in Phil's blog,-----------------------------------------------------------------Lith1um said: Phil, I wonder if you could comment at this time regarding the installation requirements for SP2. Specificaly, will it require a virgin fsx install or can it be installed on top of an unmodified SP1 install?# September 20, 2007 8:25 PM Phil Taylor said: SP2 will require SP1 to be installed.In general, the same rules for add-ons will apply; while its safest to install SP2 with add-ons removed ( especially add-ons that are code like FSUIPC ) you can certainly set a restore point, try installing without removing, and if that fails go back to the restore point and then remove your add-ons.# September 21, 2007 8:28 PM --------------------------------------------------------------------Elsewhere Phil mentioned running FSX from a command line so you could see which file it hangs on if you have a problem which causes FSX not to start. I can't remember where I read that post, but I think it might be in the sp2 post here.

I pretty much concur with Bryan. Subtle improvements and performance but nothing draw jopping at least on my 4 year old machine. I also am not much into racing or military jets but the new missions are great. The two in Chelen I really like-especially since I visited there recently.The Budapest, Edwards scenery is fantastic and the new planes well done. Kinda like 3-4 normal add ons for the price of one.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

SP2, eg the DX9 and DX10 fixes without the new Acceleration features ( aircraft, sim features ( carrier ops, updated helo sim, multiplayer racing ) and missions ), will be available later as a free download - as I said in my SP2 post.

>I pretty much concur with Bryan. Subtle improvements and>performance but nothing draw jopping at least on my 4 year old>machine. I also am not much into racing or military jets but>the new missions are great. The two in Chelen I really>like-especially since I visited there recently.>>The Budapest, Edwards scenery is fantastic and the new planes>well done. Kinda like 3-4 normal add ons for the price of>one.>>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg>Forum Moderator>http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/I got Istanbul running with full autogen and scenery, and it was magnificent. It ran pretty slow, but not at all as bad as I thought it would. I was just blown away by how good it looked though. I can't wait for the next generation of video cards to come out so I get that really rolling.As it was, I've been able to add a notch of autogen in dx9 mode and still get slightly higher frames.