Sign in to follow this  
Guest Xiderpunk

Too many "three letters" abbreviation? please help!

Guest Shayt

Hi Guys,I'm slowly trying to expend my FSX experience. We are now fortune to have more and more add-ons that seems to enhance our experience: FEX, UTX, ASX, etc. I'm really confused as for the contribution of each of these add-ons to FSX. Can someone help please and make some order? Who is doing what? And another side question: One of the whether elements that troubled me in FS9 and FSX is the fog/low-ceiling merge with the environment where the edge between the fog and the textures was un natural

Guest abulaafia

oh come on now. www.google.com and the search function of this forum answers your questions.

Guest Shayt

I know how to Google and I didn

I'll give it a shot, not only to help with your dilemma but to straighten it out in my own bloody head. I just happened to be reading the FTX thread and saw someone list about 6, 3 letter abbreviations and was thinking the same thing you were, not to mention they all end in X!FEX - Flight Enviroment X, Clouds, Sky and water replacement textures currently. Overlaps with X graphics ASX in those three areas but X graphics provides runway textures, and other airport ground textures as well among a host of other textures.ASX - Active Sky X, Weather generator pure and simple. WMX - Weather Maker X, Another weather generator.ASG - Active Sky Graphics, see FEX above, is a companion product to ASX. Good thing about having ASX and ASG is weather influenced textures, attempts to load textures based on current weather situation. Pre-loaded, not runtime.GEX - Ground Enviroment X, replaces ground textures and enhanced landclass (where those textures are placed) I believe. Similar to:FTX - Flight Terrain X which replaces ground textures and along with it's own landclass.UTX - Ultimate terrain X, adds better roads, coastlines, city textures, landclass, road traffic on many roads, streams and river enhancements....etc....Phew! Someone should come along with a 4 letter abbreviation, they could really distinguish themselves. :)As to your last question about sharp edged fog, nothing that I am aware of fixes that.

Hah! I was wrong, that just adds to the confusion, someone could confuse that with an airport code. :)

And throw FSGenisis in the mix with their Landclass and Mesh....whew!

Actually it probably is a good idea to list those as you did Ian. There will be plenty more of these to come in the future. I own half those and I still get confused from time to time. :D

GEX will not offer any landclass improvements nor did it in FS9Glenn

Guest g0kmt

Hehe you should work in the aircraft industry then :)We have TLAs FLAs SLAs multiple versions of them depending on the context and some made up ones to add to the confusionFor example ILS can mean Instrument Landing System or Integrated Logistics Support.PJBH = Panel Just Below HUD - yes it exists and that was the name it was saddled with (on a particular project) for many years until someone came up with a more formal name!AJT is an Advance Jet Trainer or Avionic Joint Team depending on which project yuo work on :)Flight Sim is tame in comparison :)

>PJBH = Panel Just Below HUD - yes it exists and that was the>name it was saddled with (on a particular project) for many>years until someone came up with a more formal name!Hmmm... I would have guessed Peanut butter and Jelly, Bacon and Ham sandwich.... :-beerchug

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Interesting... My first response was also "dude, just google it!" but I have to admit that the subsequent listing of add-ons was quite useful to me - e.g. I have been wondering what this FEX thing is all about but I've been too busy to research it. So... Maybe someone should start an FSX TLA FAQ PDQ, AFAICT! ROTFLMAO. SOBNR (Sort Of But Not Really).Dave BlevinsTLA/FLA Master Chief

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Guest jshyluk

I vote firmly on the side of that there's too many confusing names. If I end up talking about or reviewing a range of products, I'll often mis-type one when thinking about another. Lately, I have been making a conscious effort to avoid products with dangerous names, or else I will try to provide links to the product websites so that people will know what I am talking about.I theorize that the long and complicated names that get shortened into bewildering abbreviations are due to at least two factors:1) Scenery and utilities share a greater part of the FSX add-on market right now, and many of those have bombastic names.2) Many FSX programes are updates, revisions, or re-publications of products that were originally designed for older flight sims. A staggering amount of these new products work "X" into their title.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

Just think of all the buzz there would be about a new product named:Scenery Enhancer for FSX!Of course, soon to be known as simply: SEX... :-lol

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest j-mo

:-lol :-lol :-xxrotflmao Good one Bill!