Sign in to follow this  
abrams_tank

New physics engine and improved systems/avionic in MSFS 2024

1 hour ago, abrams_tank said:

I didn't think somebody would post a menu screenshot to show over 300 FPS in MSFS

me neither, even over 400 fps 🤣

• Like 1

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

On that note, I have to say that the biggest indicator that we are in for something really special where physics are concerned is that balloon demo. I have never seen anything at that level in a videogame before. It behaved the way you'd expect a deflating balloon to with proper collision detection. Really amazing stuff and I can't wait to see a deep dive on everything we can expect in 2024!

• Like 4

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

lets see if the whole world will be, again, unlimited up to the horizon visibility in live weather...   

Roi Ben

On 6/24/2023 at 6:31 PM, Noel said:

Indeed that is EXACTLY what needs to happen to allow for the kind of cloud depiction we're all after.  Frame rates in the extreme add very little once you've arrived at 40, 50 or whatever so this will allow for exactly that:  high resolution voxel based cloud depiction.  Bring it on!  Now...if they'll just go there 🤞spacer.png

If FS24 creates clouds like that I'll never leave the house. This is what I would really love.

While FS20 clouds look fantastic theres times where it looks bleh. Here and there the latest DCS does a better job. Hoping FS24 will ramp it up. Hoping also for the wings to get obscured as we zip through them. But that will mean applying physics to them which will tax our PCs..

Come on clouds!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

Hoping also for the wings to get obscured as we zip through them. But that will mean applying physics to them which will tax our PCs..

Yep. The dream is to have both the sense of speed and the wing obscured when your aeroplane passes through small clouds.

HiFi's ActiveSky has a 'wing fade' effect which obscures the wing when in a cloud without any performance impact. Something similar in MSFS would be good progress.

Edited by F737MAX

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

7 hours ago, F737MAX said:

HiFi's ActiveSky has a 'wing fade' effect which obscures the wing when in a cloud without any performance impact.

Thats interesting and a clever idea. Right now when in the soup in FS20 the wings are clearly visible and pin sharp which kind of takes away the feeling of being in cloud.

I always hope for high level cloud deck when on airliners riding as a pax. On a recent Emirates flight I got my wish. While at cruise at FL380 we came up a thin layer of clouds just 100-200 ft above us. At the Mach 0.82 speed we were at the sensation of speed and power was amazing. I was just glued to the window watching the raked wingtip reaching up to them as we whipped past.

10 hours ago, F737MAX said:

Yep. The dream is to have both the sense of speed and the wing obscured when your aeroplane passes through small clouds.

HiFi's ActiveSky has a 'wing fade' effect which obscures the wing when in a cloud without any performance impact. Something similar in MSFS would be good progress.

It's in the game, just not done very well. The aerosol density needs to be maxed out, which never really happens in the current live weather.

d607b038f461a70bd24b589ba9ac07346b152f5f

• Like 2

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

I've noticed people criticizing the fact that the helicopters in the trailer weren't really affected by weight redistribution during the trailer. They also pointed out that the ship near the oil rig seemed to be unaffected by the waves.

I did some digging and looked up videos of helicopter rescues and also ships that big in similar conditions. From what I found, unless wind is a big factor, helicopters are not really affected by hoisting people up. They remain pretty stable and aren't rocked by what's going on below them. Also, for the ship, it would take waves a bit bigger than that for there to be noticeable movement from it. 

Edited by Krakin
  • Like 3

On 7/14/2023 at 6:04 AM, Krakin said:

I've noticed people criticizing the fact that the helicopters in the trailer weren't really affected by weight redistribution during the trailer. They also pointed out that the ship near the oil rig seemed to be unaffected by the waves.

I did some digging and looked up videos of helicopter rescues and also ships that big in similar conditions. From what I found, unless wind is a big factor, helicopters are not really affected by hoisting people up. They remain pretty stable and aren't rocked by what's going on below them. Also, for the ship, it would take waves a bit bigger than that for there to be noticeable movement from it. 

Normally with you, but gonna have to disagree here.

a. did anyone notice that the tail rotor on the AS 350 spins backwards on the oil rig start up? (while main rotor spins correctly)

b. the ship in the video is roughly 300' long. If you look at the sea state (height of waves, plentiful white caps, and even the appearance of being cross wise to the crests & troughs), we're looking at Beaufort Scale 5 or 6, which means sustained winds between 17 - 27 mph. That gives 6-8 foot waves more or less.

That ship is gonna be rockin' & rollin' - for sure (very similar ship is featured several times in this vid):

c. Notice also the utter lack of relative motion when the helo drops the genny on the flight deck. That boat ain't movin at all...impossible, esp way up high on that landing pad.

d. a light weight, non-SAS helo like the AS 350 will always have a bit of drift/bobble, esp in a tight canyon like that.

Just look here, there is ZERO relative movement to the ground:

Compared to these examples (and these are medium-lift helos with SAS:

I'm confident Asobo will improve the physics over time, but for now there's definitely much work yet to do.

Sorry @UrgentSiesta, But none of those videos show anything that contradicts my observations. Funny enough, your helicoter videos prove my point. The people being winched are moving around but the choppers are stable and not rocking at all. As for you boat vids, you do realize that all footage of the boats showing movement involve them mooving quickly through the water? The ship in the trailer is stationary. The waves in that footage is are also bigger than what we see in 2024. As for the ship not moving when the generator was placed on it, I see no issues with that either.... 

Safe to say that this heli is a lot heavier than a genny and it does absolutely nothing to this yacht.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Krakin said:

Sorry @UrgentSiesta, But none of those videos show anything that contradicts my observations. Funny enough, your helicoter videos prove my point. The people being winched are moving around but the choppers are stable and not rocking at all. As for you boat vids, you do realize that all footage of the boats showing movement involve them mooving quickly through the water? The ship in the trailer is stationary. The waves in that footage is are also bigger than what we see in 2024. As for the ship not moving when the generator was placed on it, I see no issues with that either.... 

Safe to say that this heli is a lot heavier than a genny and it does absolutely nothing to this yacht.

Both helos in the vids (a Blackhawk and B412) have SAS (stability augmentation system). The AS350 has none and weighs about half as much.

If you look in the video at the time in the link, the AS350 doesn't.move.an.inch. Highly unlikely in any conditions...

Not only that, but the people on the winch are moving straight up just like an elevator - with no pendular motion...unlike the examples in the IRL very stable SAS-equipped helicopters.

And re the ships...bro, have you even been to sea...?

" "boats" (sic) moving quickly" are MORE stable than those laying idle, SMH...

We're talking about a ship at rest in the North Sea, one of the most treacherous bodies of water, in a quartering sea, with all visible conditions indicating near gale force winds generating 8-ish foot waves...

...and you come back with a yacht anchored close in a lee harbor in flat calm water as a rebuttal...? Really?

It's not the genny moving the ship, it's the 8 foot waves...!

Here, compare the sea state and resultant ship movement in this one (note the white caps and such): 

Which looks more like the MSFS video...yours or mine?

Still think that MSFS ship should be sitting rock steady in those seas? Nope - not a chance.

Edited by UrgentSiesta
clarity

That sounds really great. I never liked that the fuselage is depicted as a square. Seems this is all much more detailed now.

Also real 3D trees - the only new feature from XP12 that I consider superior - will now also be in MSFS.

I hope they improve the ground physics though... I am not just talking about the transition form gorund to air, I am also talking about the feel of inertia when taxiing or on take-off roll. This is too direct. Probably it's even correctly modeled, but there needs to be something to simulate the resistance when deflecting the nosewheel. Right now it feels too arcady.

Edited by tweekz
  • Like 3

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

Honestly, based on videos it's really difficult to evaluate how near to RL operations the simulations are...

The bellow video shows an AS 350 very stable, IRL, on similar operations.

Then, it's a bit useless to try to point out inaccuracies in the flight dynamics model of:

.) a simulator which hasn't been released;

.) total lack of information regarding, for instance the weather conditions under which the videos were taken.

For me what these videos on FS 2024 shown me is that the upcoming version of what is probably he most successful release of the MS FS Franchise, includes features I have long been dreaming about having in a flight simulator, and the present version,, even as much as I am usually much more concerned about the consistency of overall physics modelling, from flight dynamics to weather, as conquered my enthusiasm, and with all of it's pros & cons truth is that MFS turned into the only flight simulator I really dedicate time to and play these days...

US Coast Guard MH-65 Dolphin Rescue Operation on a Cruise Ship @Defxofficials - YouTube

Edited by jcomm

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

On 7/1/2023 at 9:32 AM, ThrottleUp said:

also for the wings to get obscured as we zip through them

Oh yeah, please!

Also with a dynamic effect! 😄

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

We need to wait and see. Because some of these features were mentioned or promised for MSFS2020 but did not happen yet or will not happen ever. We will see what is advertised and what will be the reality, also for MSFS2024. Maybe some features will be on MSFS2028 🙂

• Like 1

Intel i7-9700K - Asus Nvidia RTX 2080 Super - 32 Gb Ram - SSD Drive - Win10 x64 - Samsung 43" 4K TV