Sign in to follow this  
adamant365

Randon Question About SID's, STAR's

Hello, I've been trying to figure out for a while now what the significance of the number after the SID/STAR name is, if there is any? For example: ATLANTA5 departure or ROME2 arrival. What is the 5 or the 2 signify? I've been using real world charts for FS navigation since I started with the hobby six or so years ago and I was just curious and couldn't find anything by searching Google. I have a hunch of the significance and it's probably something very simple. I just wanted an "expert's" opinion. Any answers would be highly appreciated. Thanks.-adam

Nothing else than a counter, at least in Sweden. Every once in a while something in a SID/STAR changes and then the new version is called ATLANTA6 or ROME3...

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden

Not necessarily. The numbers can represent different STARS.In the UK STARS are named according to their end points. For example, at Gatwick (EGKK) there are 6 STARs via TIMBA where TIMBA is a waypoint that is also the base point of a hold. The individual TIMBA STARS have different starting points (airways) and routes to TIMBA as follows:TIMBA 1D from MIDHURST (non airways) via - MID VOR - MAY VOR - MAY VOR R111/p12 - TIMBATIMBA 1F from R803 via LYD VOR - LARCK - TIMBATIMBA 1G from G27 via HASTY - TIMBATIMBA 1H from L980 (FL90 or below) via TRIPO - SPEAR - DET VOR - LARCK - TIMBATIMBA 2B from UM733/T27 via GURLU - BEXIL - TIMBATIMBA 2E from Y4/UY4, Y76/UT76, L179/UL179, L610/UL610 via KOPUL - THANET - DET VOR - LARCK - TIMBA

Thanks folks. I kind of figured that it was just a sequence number. I was aware of the European method of naming STARs where several different procedures share a common point. I just was interested because no matter how much I searched, I could not find an answer. Must be because it's very simple, eh?-adam