Sign in to follow this  
Guest gabe007

Next Up from Cessna 172 - Advice anyone ??

Guest gabe007

Hi,I'm looking for a nice addon for FSX that I can use for FSX that doesn't need me to worry about prop controls.I have the Beaver X and the sf260 but they both need me to think about prop controls when all I'm bothered about for now is learning navigation without having to worry about mechanics.Could someone recommend a nice Single prop GA addon plane that may fit the bill ?Thnx in advance.

I might have misunderstood you, but I'd say try the SF260 again.I sometimes fly it without touching the prop adjustment, and it's such a delight to fly, and has such great-looking gauges, that it'd be a shame not to use it to learn nav.Or just keep prop work simple. I have prop pitch assigned to the slider on my X52 throttle, and once I'm cruising I slide it wholly or partly back to increase cruise speed, and reset it full forward for descent, but otherwise I forget it. If you're navigating you will spend more time in level flight and need not mess with it. Certainly I wouldn't be put off by it - you don't need e.g. to change pitch for a gentle climb or descent, whatever the by the book version says.I spent some time in the SF260 learning VORs. The lack of a switch to bind otto to the GPS encourages you to do it with VOR gauges, too.

Paul Skol

Guest gabe007

Thnx for your advice. Yes I love the SF260 - why can't all addons look as good ? They've proved it can be done - even though I need Supersampling AA 4x4S to stop the shimmering on the gauges.I find these variable prop thingeys really annoying - why do they have them anyway ? (just showing my ignorance here I suppose !)One thing - ho do I assign the prop speed to my Z52 slider - sounds quite handy !Cheers

The prop, just leave it at maximum (or at 25 at all times) and forget about ...just Adjust the MP for now.or get the Cirrus SR22 from Eaglesoft. Even though they have a variable Pitch prop. You don't have to mess with the pitch. The MP and RPM are tied together in the throttle.Or fly the Flight1's 172R or Dreemfleet's Archer. Thats what most newbie pilots fly in real life. Going up..would invariably take you to variable pitch prop aircraftsMannyQuote "Airplanes still flew relatively slowly and at low altitudes, and a variable-pitch propeller was most useful at higher speeds (more than 200 miles per hour [322 kilometers per hour]) and higher altitudes. Before World War I, a fixed-pitch propeller could work well enough both during takeoff and at top speed and maximum altitude so that a more complicated device proved unnecessary. But airplane designers knew that as engines became more powerful and planes flew higher, a variable-pitch propeller would be useful to improve performance."http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Ev...rops/Tech14.htm

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

"I find these variable prop thingeys really annoying - why do they have them anyway "To put it in simple terms-to give the pilot more control and efficiency over every phase of flight.Think of it like a gear shift in a care-a flat blade for takeoff and maximum power-then in cruise we can reduce the power and make the blade take a bigger cut of the air-much more efficient.In the same way a car would be limited if it always drove in 1st gear-a plane would be too.A fixed pitch prop makes a compromise of a blade angle which does a little of both (climb,cruise) but neither terribly well. It makes it easier for the pilot though.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

One you might consider is the Eaglesoft Liberty. It has a FADEC engine/fuel management system, so you only need to control the throttle after starting her up. The FADEC system takes care of the rest. This bird also comes with both a Garmin 530 and 430 on the panel. What is does not have is ADF, which is starting to be removed from some newer aircraft, as the FAA is going to start shutting the system down in the future.http://www.eaglesoftdg.com/LibertyXL2.htm

Guest gabe007

Thanks guys.Now I understand more, how the variable-pitch system works, I may stick with the SF260 - "we are not worthy !" - and embrace it.The new Archer looks nice from Dreemfleet, but non of their stuff is available for FSX yet - presumably RealityXP problems.The liberty gets good write ups and with our (UK) exchange rate is very cheap - may give it a look anyway.Nice link to the propeller theory - thanks again.Nice to know that there are lots of people on here that love their hobby - first time posting to the general forum and had 4 replies in as many hours - cool !Cheers for now.

If I can give you some simple (maybe oversimplified) advice on the constant speed prop that will work for a good number of Ga aircraft:Simply takeoff with everything max. At a safe altitude-say 500'-1000' agl, pull the manifold back to 25" and then the prop to 25" (you always want to do the manifold before the prop-just like you wouldn't shift into 1st gear in a car going 40 mph). As you go up-the manifold will reduce about 1" per 1000 ft. so increase it to maintain 25" till you reach your cruise(at a certain altitude-usually 5-6k you will have the control all the way in-then the manifold will continue to drop as you climb). At cruise-pull the manifold back to 23-24"(or leave it full in if that is all you can get or less) and then the prop 2300-2400 rpm.When you descend-leave the prop alone and control your speed with manifold control. In the pattern usually 15"-17" is a good setting to give you the right speed depending on the temperature. Before landing, rembember to put the props full in in case of a go around. It is really fun when you get used to it!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest jshyluk

The Eaglesoft Liberty is a quality "Sport & Leisure" aircraft. I'm not super thrilled with its sound set, but the rest of the aircraft is really something. It can also be a frame rate hog on lesser systems.I also suggest giving the BeaverX a second chance. You can't actually "break" anything by setting the wrong prop pitch, and I found that it is a very forgiving airframe for learning how to set engine controls.My favourite fixed-pitch prop belongs to the default Piper Cub, so you can save some money if you learn to love the J-3. Of course, the navigation equipment in the Cub is almost non-existant, so if it's ILS navigation you are looking for, the Skyhawk is much better.In fact, I would say it's hard to improve much on the FSX Skyhawk. The other default planes, especially the Beaver and the Maule Orion are also good alternatives to the 172. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

Guest gabe007

>The Eaglesoft Liberty is a quality "Sport & Leisure">aircraft. I'm not super thrilled with its sound set, but the>rest of the aircraft is really something. It can also be a>frame rate hog on lesser systems.>>I also suggest giving the BeaverX a second chance. You can't>actually "break" anything by setting the wrong prop pitch, and>I found that it is a very forgiving airframe for learning how>to set engine controls.>>My favourite fixed-pitch prop belongs to the default Piper>Cub, so you can save some money if you learn to love the J-3. >Of course, the navigation equipment in the Cub is almost>non-existant, so if it's ILS navigation you are looking for,>the Skyhawk is much better.>>In fact, I would say it's hard to improve much on the FSX>Skyhawk. The other default planes, especially the Beaver and>the Maule Orion are also good alternatives to the 172. >>Jeff Shyluk>Senior Staff Reviewer, Avsim Yes I read the review that noticed the looping of cruise-flight sounds.....one question though....no review has mentioned it...does the VC glass have reflections ? From the pictures I can find, it looks like a "no".All the default aircraft do - I like it: a lot...many addon GA I have have seen/tried don't seem to. Personally I feel something is missing if reflections are absent - at least as long as it's not overdone.

>I find these variable prop thingeys really annoying - why do>they have them anyway ?Prop pitch simply decreases or increses engines RPM's. More RPMs for more power, less RPMs for more fuel efficiencly. Just like in a car. If you don't want to bother with it just leave is all the way forward for maximum power at all times, and select auto mixture from the realism menu so you won't have to worry about that either.

Guest jshyluk

That's a very good question. I don't have the Liberty installed right now, as I had to make room for other products. I went back and looked at my notes and reviews, and I do not recall any glass reflection in the VC view.There are some labels, decals and other details that make the windows look realistic, and there is a tremendous amount of glass, which makes for some nice TrackIR viewing.On the outside view of the Liberty, well the whole aircraft is shined up so much that it looks like a Christams ornament. Someone would have had to spent all week with the chamois cloth. If Bill Leaming is reading this thread, he will be able to tell you more about the Liberty XL2.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

With repect to those pesky engine controls. You can always turn "Auto Mixture" on in "Settings - Realism" that will adjust the mixture automatically for you although not with the fine tweaking that the pilot can do manually.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.

Guest DreamFleet

While DF some aircraft WILL be moving into FSX, let me move aside from that and say what has already been said above:A Constant Speed prop should cause you NO concern and, as stated above, is there for a very good reason- performance / efficiency.Make no mistake about it, the highest performing piston aircraft have them, and they are easy to use!In the real world, when folks move up from something like a 172 it is often to a plane with a Constant Speed prop. Why? They are looking for better performance / efficiency.For the most part, at take off the prop control is full forward (max RPM). After takeoff you will bring it back a bit (depending on the aircraft), and once in cruise bring it back a bit more and leave until on final approach, when you increase it to the max. You do that in case you need to go around.On my Piper Dakota, where max RPM is 2400, we take off at max RPM and leave it there until in cruise. There, I can reduce it to an appropriate amount vs. manifold pressure, or just leave it at 2400 and set the appropriate MAP according to the power setting chart. Usually I like to reduce to 2300 (less noise and engine wear) and set the corresponding MAP for it according to the chart (readily visible on my sun visor!).Also, on many piston engines, forget about the OWT (old wives tale) about running "over square" (MAP higher than RPM). That's a left over from the days of the old radial engines. For FS this has no relevance anyway, but if you want to play it "realistically" just set power according to altitude / temperature according to the chart. If given a choice, select the lowest RPM indicated and set the MAP indicated on the chart, even if the MAP is a higher number than the RPM. Example: 24" 2300 RPM.Why? Again, lower RPM = less noise and engine wear.On the Cessna 210 Turbo that I also fly, we take off at max RPM (2700), then reduce to the top of the green arc (2500) at around 400'. For cruise we reduce again to either 2400 or 2300. We run at 27" MAP. We run over square in cruise all the time! Even at max power, we would run at 30" and 2500 RPM, but in real life you would need a deep wallet to do that based on the wear you would put on the engine.Don't let that third control (prop control) keep you away from high performance aircraft. It really is not so bad! :)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Guest gabe007

Well I think you've all convinced me to keep at it.I'm planning on treating myself to the new Saitek Yoke and Quadrant (3 levers) for Christmas - so That would be a good opportunity to play with all the levers !Cheers