Sign in to follow this  
Guest gabe007

Next Up from Cessna 172 - Advice anyone ??

>If Bill Leaming is reading this thread, he will be able to>tell you more about the Liberty XL2.Jeff, I am indeed reading the thread (now that the Twin Comanche is released and have some "free time!").The Liberty XL2 does not have inside window reflections, not because we are not capable of them, but simply because - once the "isn't that neat" wears off - they are just annoying as all get out!Yes, in Real Life there are reflections off the inside glass in aircraft, but......the human brain is capable of "filtering" the reflections out of one's vision quite easily. How many people actually "notice" the table lamp reflecting off their TV screen?How often do drivers notice reflections on the windshield while driving?The problem with having fixed "reflections" in the sim is that - unlike real life - the brain cannot "filter them out," with the net result being a reduction in visibility of the outside world...How many threads can you find here in the forum from folks asking "How can I get rid of those annoying reflections in the default FSX aircraft?" :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

How can you have any free time when I am awaiting the fsx version release! :-)I almost bought a Twin commanche-now with present gas prices I almost wish I had!It looks like a great airplane-and I am eagerly awaiting more Ga twins like yours.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

In regards to the engine charts, is there anything like that which I can reference in FSX?

Guest gabe007

>>If Bill Leaming is reading this thread, he will be able to>>tell you more about the Liberty XL2.>>Jeff, I am indeed reading the thread (now that the Twin>Comanche is released and have some "free time!").>>The Liberty XL2 does not have inside window reflections, not>because we are not capable of them, but simply because - once>the "isn't that neat" wears off - they are just annoying as>all get out!>>Yes, in Real Life there are reflections off the inside>glass in aircraft, but...>>...the human brain is capable of "filtering" the reflections>out of one's vision quite easily. How many people actually>"notice" the table lamp reflecting off their TV screen?>>How often do drivers notice reflections on the windshield>while driving?>>The problem with having fixed "reflections" in the sim is that>- unlike real life - the brain cannot "filter them out," with>the net result being a reduction in visibility of the outside>world...>>How many threads can you find here in the forum from folks>asking "How can I get rid of those annoying reflections in the>default FSX aircraft?" :)I appreciate your view - (pardon the pun !), but it would be nice to give the us the choice.Why not include a choice of reflective/no reflective glass in the VC ? Surely this would be a case of modifying a cfg file to include glass...and clearly the textures would need to be made available. And, while you're at it...a "low res model" would be nice also.I too would like the choice - as at night, I find the reflections are too much and tend to obscure the view too much even for my liking.In fact, given the framerate problems most people are having with FSX, all planes should have a low/high res 2D/VC/model option, as do the heavy sims by Wilco in terms of gauge refresh rates.We are after all, often paying half to two thirds the cost of the main FSX program for like...1 aircraft...and it can't be that difficult- or time consuming to do.

>Why not include a choice of reflective/no reflective glass in>the VC ? Surely this would be a case of modifying a cfg file>to include glass...and clearly the textures would need to be>made available. And, while you're at it...a "low res model">would be nice also.No, it's considerably more involved than a simple cfg file entry. I would need to include in the model some few thousand more polygons (the enormous compound curved glass in the XL2 requires very complex geometry), some additional control nodes to "hide" the textured glass polygons, as well as the textures themselves, all of which when taken together would have the net result of increasing the load on the sim......ergo, even more of a frame rate hit...all for the sake of including a "feature" that would in all likelihood be unused once the "isn't that cool!" novelty wore off. ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest gabe007

>>Why not include a choice of reflective/no reflective glass>in>>the VC ? Surely this would be a case of modifying a cfg file>>to include glass...and clearly the textures would need to be>>made available. And, while you're at it...a "low res model">>would be nice also.>>No, it's considerably more involved than a simple cfg file>entry. I would need to include in the model some few thousand>more polygons (the enormous compound curved glass in the XL2>requires very complex geometry), some additional control nodes>to "hide" the textured glass polygons, as well as the textures>themselves, all of which when taken together would have the>net result of increasing the load on the sim...>>...ergo, even more of a frame rate hit...>>all for the sake of including a "feature" that would in all>likelihood be unused once the "isn't that cool!" novelty wore>off. ;)I see. My ignorance shows through...clearly.Some developers do it of course...but then your addon is quite cheap relatively speaking...and I beleive it iss free with MegaLandscapes for the USA. I may give it a try anyway....and just use it at night.I hope at least, that the gauges have nice night-lighting !Cheers