Sign in to follow this  
Guest kolaf

FSX performance halves in vista vs XP

Guest kolaf

The vista OOM patch has already been installed for some time. Setting affinitymask=2 only made things worse. Instead of running both cores at 70%, only one core ran at 70%, while the other idled. My best guess is at some throttling mechanism, but I have no idea of what that might be.Edit: Forgot to mention that I have 2GB RAM, and I just confirmed that my C2D E6850 runs at full speed, 3GHz while running fsx.

Guest Bob Z

Check the Blackviper October 9 entry under Current News.[http://www.blackviper.com/]I have no idea what the implications of this are and apparently either does BV yet, but it does make me wonder.Anybody?

In my case it was my virus checker. Even disabling it while running fs still something got in the way.I reinstalled and left the checker off-permanently.As my sim computer is not my main computer I am going to risk a future virus for the quite vast performance increase I got in return.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

That's why I suggested running CPUClock, as one of the monitoring displays shows you both CPU core clock AND throttle (if any).Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

kolaf,What performance do you get if you run FSX full screen? I get terrible performance in Windowed mode (I think due to the way it reverts to Vista Basic when you run FSX) but if I go to full screen it's fine... try that and see if that's your issue too.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ryan,I think you have hit the nail on the head! I recall now that I was getting about half the FPS in windowed mode that I was getting in full screen mode. A bit of experimentation revealed that if any of the windowed window was behind the Vista Start button on the bottom left, that FPS halved. The solution is either to:- run FSX full screen.- run FSX windowed, but resize the window to not cover any of the Vista start button.- run FSX windowed, but set the task bar to auto hide.I use option 3!Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest kolaf

I haven't tested it yet, but that might be it. I recall noting the big fps reduction from running in a rather small window, to running in windowed maximized. That could have been the reason. Will test and report back.

Guest kolaf

IT WORKED! Setting the taskbar to autohide increased fps from 15 to 20-25 :))Thanks for your kind help everyone.