Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Befuddled by UltimateTerrainX, FlightTerrainX,X-Graphics???

I am trying to create the most realistic VFR situation possible, short of photorealistic scenery for everything (Which is a generation and multi tetrabyte computers away ;^)I currently own MegaScenery for Southern Cal and Hawaii... That's my only Photorealistic scenery. I've downloaded a few isolated scenery areas from the library. I have X-graphics with ASX and also own and use FEX. Also FSGenesis landlcass is installed. I also have FSGenesis USA Mesh, but have not installed it because I still can't decide if I want "elevated" airports.But I am CONFUSED about Ultimate Terrain X and Flight Terrain X. FTX looks like it will be an awesome addition... but with its marriage to FEX, it appears that it is going to be late 2008 or who knows when, before the USA is available.Which of the above should I purchase? ... maybe neither... Those who are using UTX... do you think that the enhancement is worth the price of admission... since I have XGraphics??I have looked at the UTX website and the pictures. It looks nice.. better than some of the things in XGraphics... but I don't understand about possible conflicts with XGraphics. I'm guessing, that you would just turn off the Xgaphic features you did not want.Possibly some of you have/are using FTX in FS-9. Would it be smarter just to bite the bullet and wait for FTX for the US... even if half the simmers have FS-11 by then?!?My last question is, will the addition of terrain addons, conflict/spoil photo realistic areas that are installed?If you have the kindness to respond to this post, and don't want to take up space on this great forum, feel free to e-mail me.Thanks much,Steve

Ultimate Terrain X stands on its own for the most part. 1. They are, to simplify, basically redraws the borders in finer granularity. Meaning..instead of straight lines and square/rectangle Islands and lakes... They redraw the borders more accurately. They redraw all the water bodies realistically in fine granularity. You will see rivers and streams and lakes with realistic coast lines.No other product you mention there does this.2. They also provide realistic roads. Highways and streets. Lots more then the default. This takes a hit on your FPS because you end up with lots of traffic...so you may have to tone down the traffic%.No other product you mention there does this.3. They provide street lightings. My favorite featuresNo other product you mention there does this.4. They provide railroad tracks and otehr terrain features.5. They also provide Landclass/water class. Others may provide this.Hope this helps.XGraphics does not compete with UTX. Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Ultimate Terrain X is for you hehe:http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=utxusa

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ok, here is my negativity coming across in a positive way. I purchased Ultimate Terrain last month and just recently purchased X-Graphics. I also have FS Genesis Mesh and Land Class and the tree and grass textures that have been the rave lately. Since I purchased X-Graphics, I thought I could just get a refund for Ultimate Terrain to justify my purchase of XG. Well, I disabled UTX to see what a difference it makes and that will be the last time I disable it. I can't say that it makes the same difference as the Megascenery that you have but it does make a big difference. Just the way that the roads and traffic are displayed makes a huge difference, along with the coast lines. That along with X-Graphics runway and taxiway textures, my sim experience is very satisfying. I think they are all money well spent and I haven't had any trouble running them together they do different things for the most part. I use UTX for everything except the water, sky, clouds, runway/taxi textures, lighting. That sounds like alot of exceptions but like all have said, the really do different things. UTX has the landclass, the roads, traffic, water, coast lines, night lighting etc. Ok, they have similarities but they really are different enough to justify owning both.

I have all that is listed in my sig. I love xgraphics and Ultimate Terrain together. I would use Xgraphics if ALL they did were the runway and taxiway textures, to me that alone is worth it. The facelift it gave the default airports was amazing.UT is a must for VFR in my opinion, well...basically it is just a must if you have ever flown or are a pilot in real life. I use the landclass that came with UT as it is quite good, but use FS genesis terrain mesh, another must have in my opinion. I fly VFR in real life, and this is the setup I chose to make it look as close as possible to what I see. I recently jumped onboard with FEX and must say, the clouds are worth the price for that one as well, and what can you say about the water....sheesh. good stuff.hope this helpsDanon -

Guest UlfB

>Would it be smarter just to bite the bullet>and wait for FTX for the US... >even if half the simmers have FS-11 by then?!?I'm waiting for Ground Environment for FSX. I hope that GEX will be released a lot sooner than FTX.Ulf B

I agree. I just won't wait a whole year for FTX (For US regions) I underestand the the programers have their root and hart in Australia and came out first with FTX for Australia. But most of the money that can be generated is not from down under! Is it? I think they made a bad business choice. Personally I won't wait a year for FTX and just jump for GEX instead.

"I use UTX for everything except the water, sky, clouds, runway/taxi textures, lighting. That sounds like alot of exceptions but like all have said, the really do different things."UTX won't do any of those items you mention anyway........

I'd like to add that if you do purchase UTX, you can still utilize the FSgenesis landclass by moving it in the scenery library above the UT vegetation I believe it is. FSgenesis isn't called FSgenesis in the library but AddOn Scenery.And to emphasize, Xgraphics and UTX do not conflict in any way as far as I can tell. Xgraphics does sky, water, clouds, airport textures including runway, taxiway, etc....UTX does the rest it seems, especially in urban areas.Seeing car traffic on the smaller roads, especially flying in rural or remote areas is great. Saw one car driving in the NW Territories which I assume isn't highly populated. Don't know where he was going but he had along way before hitting a town.Question for everyone else, is there any previews or websites for GEX? I'm in the same boat, waiting for FTX for the area's I fly is pushing me towards GEX. Never owned GE for FS9 but have heard nothing but rave reviews for it so looking to see what it'll do for FSX ground textures.

>"I use UTX for everything except the water, sky, clouds,>runway/taxi textures, lighting. That sounds like alot of>exceptions but like all have said, the really do different>things.">>>UTX won't do any of those items you mention anyway........Yeah, I know.. that was my point in that they do different things. ALthough UTX does do water and lighting.

>I'd like to add that if you do purchase UTX, you can still>utilize the FSgenesis landclass by moving it in the scenery>library above the UT vegetation I believe it is. I tried that but didn't notice a difference...have you seen a noticeable difference?

Danon and others... Thanks so much for the help and suggestions...Danon ... I appreciate your post. I too am a real world VFR and IFR pilot. I've got a couple thousand hours of VFR flying, and it means a lot to hear you say that the set up you have makes it "as real as it gets" in simulation for you. At least for now, huh? Since FTX and GEX are not released for FSX for the USA as of yet.I have FSGenesis landclass installed. Do you or anyone else know what happens if I install UTX landclass on top of it... Should I try to uninstall or disable FSGenesis first. I'm at my office right now, I don't even know if that can be done.Again, Thank you kindly ... each one.Steve

UTX will only change the waterclass not the actual texture.Lighting? Are you referring to the streetlights?Glenn

Congrats on the IFR, I am plowing my way through it at the moment.I had the FS Genesis Landclass installed, and went back and forth until I decided that the UT landclass was superior in the area that I fly the most. Again, nothing against the FSGenesis landclass, I just felt that the UTX one was better for me. I uninstalled it and then reinstalled UTX to make sure it was done right. I hope this helps. I still use the FSgenesis mesh and swear by it, all together I can fly with the same sectional in my lap in front of my box, or up in the air.Danon -

Well, it depends on what you mean by "won't do water".It's main purpose is to add bodies of water and correct the coastlines so you can actually recognize where you are by landmarks. FSX is much better in populated areas than FS9 was, but it is still quite lacking in the number of bodies of water represented.However, UT/X also does include some water textures, if you choose to use them in the advanced setup. Allen included some features to make water look more green (algae'd) or brown (muddy'd) if you so choose. So... Yes, UT/X does do water.But water textures are not its main claim to fame. I don't have FEX, but I imagine it has a lot more choice in setup of water textures.BTW, and maybe this is mentioned further down, but UT/X also adds other features, like lots more traffic on lots more roads, as well as adding other landmark features like golf courses, graveyards, beaches, parks, important wooded areas, and lots more. All accurate based on databases of such landmarks.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg