Sign in to follow this  
Rocky_53

Terrain Loading Issue

26 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

I recently took off from Tivat, and within only a couple of thousand feet, witnessed the worst case of this issue I have ever seen! I mean great massive areas loading directly in front of me. You can imagine what it looked like at that height! :sad: So I am surprised when I hear those who say it has been around since release, because as I say, I have only recently been aware of it.

It is certainly a recent development for me.  Was never this bad.

It's an annoying issue which I've seen a couple of times myself, albeit stricly limited to certain regions. But I agree it's mega-annoying and makes flying virtually impossible where it shows up.

I can only ask anyone to head over to the corresponding thread in the official forum and politely but clearly declare this is inacceptable. This has been bug-logged for months now and the gifted programmers from MS/Asobo are not in a position to pinpoint it?

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Yes. I do get this occasionally, but not too much as I tend to fly l(very) low and slow. It feels random, it feels like it's been doing it a long while (or it may just have merged in my consciousness with the stutters and pauses), and having finally gotten my broadband upped to full gigabit hasn't made any difference. It feels server related, like a lot of the other issues, so I just sort of live with it. If it gets too much on any particular day/flight I just try somewhere else (or switch to XP for a session)

Ryzen 9 7900X, Corsair H150 AIO cooler, 64 Gb DDR5, Asus X670E Hero m/b, 3090ti, 13Tb NVMe, 8Tb SSD, 16Tb HD, 55" Philips 4k HDR monitor, EVGA 1600w ps, all in Corsair 7000D airflow case.

I think overall it seems recent but I recall this being an issue at some point before. After terrain caching became a display option, I basically never noticed it again until just recently. During a low-level flight around Nice and Monaco where I rarely fly, it was out of control.

Location-dependent within the sim? I have to say very likely, because in NA and much of Europe down to the southern alps areas I just don't see this. Also nowhere that I've ever noticed in Asia, NZ, Australia etc. Asobo seems to have acknowledged an issue. I personally believe it's an old bug resurfacing.

From the explanations about how the 2024 release will process terrain I'm not sure it goes away if they don't catch it during testing. They seem to be focused on filling in "local" terrain anomalies around the user aircraft with AI assistance. To me that implies a buffer zone which I assume has to keep refreshing as the aircraft moves, swapping out one batch of AI-improved terrain for the next.

ASUS MAXIMUS IX CODE Z270, i7-7700K OC@4.8, EVGA GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, VKBSim Gladiator joystick, CH Pro pedals, Razer Orbweaver Chroma Gaming Keypad, Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB (main drive/sim drive), WD Black 1TB HDD

Did anyone meeting with the devs at FSExpo in Houston dare to ask them about this issue?

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

3 hours ago, CapnCrunch said:

Location-dependent within the sim? I have to say very likely, because in NA and much of Europe down to the southern alps areas I just don't see this. Also nowhere that I've ever noticed in Asia, NZ, Australia etc. Asobo seems to have acknowledged an issue. I personally believe it's an old bug resurfacing.

Well, just to put this out there, I was very surprised finishing a flight yesterday on final about two miles out to suddenly see the terrain in front of me shifting and morphing into sand colored tiles. This continued all the way down to landing, and took place at Dover AFB in the U.S. I have gigabit internet and have never seen this happen before. I have no idea what caused this or if I have done something to facilitate it but I sure hope Asobo is working on a fix for this bug, if that is what this is. Don't want to see more of it, that's for sure.

Edited by BaronKen

Ken

1 hour ago, BaronKen said:

suddenly see the terrain in front of me shifting and morphing into sand colored tiles. 

Interesting, I should have grabbed a screenshot, but I witnessed exactly this issue yesterday too. Flying into Lyons, at about 5000ft, to the north of the aiprort, two very large square areas of white tiles showing without any kind of textures at all! They started to fill only when I got to within a few miles of the airport.

It would seem that I am by far alone with this issue, which is reassuring. It is also reassuring for my own observations to be confirmed by those agreeing that yes, in fact it is a phenomena that has only recently become apparent to this degree.

• Like 2

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

22 hours ago, mikethe6th said:

Is it area specific? I have noticed it happens to me a lot more in Europe compared to the US (mainly flying into the PilotEdge area)

I agree with this observation. Yes…this is occurring much more now and creeping into USA terrain as well.

It is highly annoying.

Edited by xraythree

Jetline Systems, Windows 10 Professional, Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Pro Ax LG 1200, Intel Core i9 10900K Ten Core, Corsair H100 240mm Liquid Cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR SDRAM 3200MHz, 10GB Nvidea GeForce RTX 3080 GDDR6X, 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD, 1000 watt Gold Power Supply.

51 minutes ago, Rockliffe said:

Flying into Lyons, at about 5000ft, to the north of the aiprort,

France seems to be one of the coutries predominantly suffering from this issue. Two months ago, I made a flight from Tarbes to Toulouse and all the surrounding of Tarbes had continually exchanging completely different (yellowish to greenish) squares. At a certain point en route to Toulouse this got lost and when I arrived it was just gone.

Kind regards, Michael

I saw it really prominently yesterday. I was landing, so <3k feet AGL. Farm fields were appearing as harvested (brown/tan) until I got close enough at which point they'd sequentially fill in with green. It almost looked like those really old Sierra games from the 80s where they'd draw the wireframe and then fill in the colors one at a time. 

Oddly, usually when I see terrain goofs like this, its accompanied by stutters that almost make the plane unflyable, but everything was completely smooth this time. 

This was in the USA, btw, at KAIO in Iowa.

Edited by eslader

2 hours ago, pmb said:

France seems to be one of the coutries predominantly suffering from this issue. Two months ago, I made a flight from Tarbes to Toulouse and all the surrounding of Tarbes had continually exchanging completely different (yellowish to greenish) squares. At a certain point en route to Toulouse this got lost and when I arrived it was just gone.

Kind regards, Michael

:blink:

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

On 7/4/2023 at 6:08 PM, MarcG said:

It's been happening since release,

It’s been happening for decades, it’s a legacy of the old FS9 program. It’s been there since release. There was a HUGE thread over the official forums regarding this last year. 

2 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

It’s been happening for decades, it’s a legacy of the old FS9 program. It’s been there since release. There was a HUGE thread over the official forums regarding this last year. 

Some version of tile swapping to higher resolution tiles as you approach them has always been there, but the current issue is that the higher resolution tiles have dramatically different colouring than the lower resolution tiles, which I believe is caused by the Bing data (or data updates)..

• Like 3

Bert

13 hours ago, pmb said:

Did anyone meeting with the devs at FSExpo in Houston dare to ask them about this issue?

It's funny you ask that because I kept thinking had I been able to make it to the expo (8 month old baby, no way was I getting the OK on that trip), and had the chance to mingle with the MSFS team, one of my first questions would've been about the morphing and changing tile issue. To me, it's one the biggest bugs plaguing MSFS right now. It really does break immersion and seems to be an issue that is only getting worse. Any kind of confirmation that this being worked on, or alleviated in 2024 would be welcomed news. I usually don't have many critiques on MSFS, especially because its a living and breathing piece of software thats always being updated, but man -- watching mountain tops dance and corn fields change colors certainly takes away from the experience. 

Edited by Bdub22
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bdub22 said:

my first questions would've been about the morphing and changing tile issue. To me, it's one the biggest bugs plaguing MSFS right now. It really does break immersion and seems to be an issue that is only getting worse. Any kind of confirmation that this being worked on, or alleviated in 2024 would be welcomed news. 

edit

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard