Sign in to follow this  
Balint Szarka

HiFi Sim's Active Sky P3D V6 is coming as Early Access Beta

1 hour ago, pgde said:

IRT to weather -- quoting from the P3D interview on FSElite "And then on the atmospheric side of things, we previously had True Sky and we ran into limitations using that product in version five. We got to a position where we couldn’t tweak it and we couldn’t make the changes necessary that our users expected. So what we did is, we implemented our own atmospherics internally, based on some unreal algorithms that we were able to utilize. And with that we were able to introduce a better atmospheric model, but with the addition of other weather items such as precipitation accumulation. So we have cooling and evaporation, our clouds are now dynamically lit, which includes lightning strikes. And one item that’s also kind of cool is, our weather is now based on weather stations. You configure it on a particular weather station, so as you transition from one location to another, you’ll experience changing weather. And we blend those different weather stations together, so you start with clear skies and you transition to maybe partly cloudy and you reach a storm. So you create an environment where if you’re training across a long distance, you’re able to experience a change in dynamic weather that you’ll typically see in a real environment." (bold added).

See https://fselite.net/content/interview-lockheed-martin-on-prepar3d-v6/,

I don’t think this actually confirms what we want it to.
The way I am reading what he is saying is that the weather changes as you fly along, but that doesn’t answer whether different weather is visible from a distance or if it just changes when you get near it. That was already present in v5 with activesky, but not by default.

It’s great that in-sim shows two different weather stations, but can it show two different weather patterns at once? If I’m flying over Washington DC, which has sunny skies, but Baltimore has a thunderstorm parked over it, will I see it in the distance? Or will it show clear skies all the way to the horizon, and when I finally get close to Baltimore, the weather will update and I’ll be randomly in a thunderstorm out to the horizon. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, DChockey08 said:

I don’t think this actually confirms what we want it to.
The way I am reading what he is saying is that the weather changes as you fly along, but that doesn’t answer whether different weather is visible from a distance or if it just changes when you get near it. That was already present in v5 with activesky, but not by default.

It’s great that in-sim shows two different weather stations, but can it show two different weather patterns at once? If I’m flying over Washington DC, which has sunny skies, but Baltimore has a thunderstorm parked over it, will I see it in the distance? Or will it show clear skies all the way to the horizon, and when I finally get close to Baltimore, the weather will update and I’ll be randomly in a thunderstorm out to the horizon. 

I think the bolded part actually says exactly that!

28 minutes ago, CaptainAddOn said:

I think the bolded part actually says exactly that!

No, it doesn't. V5 already had dynamically changing weather. The point is this: Can you see different weather systems in the far distance? With V5's volumetric clouds, you couldn't. It's hard to see if that's actually changed in V6.

Sooo - let me get this right. I'm supposed to be paying 37.49 Euro for Early Access to a beta? I thought the whole idea of Early Access was frowned upon for all sorts of products?

Edited by SierraDelta
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Thanks for the words everyone.  Hope you are enjoying ASP6 beta!

10 hours ago, DChockey08 said:

Biggest question is does this version allow for localized weather systems with the new atmospheric engine/clouds turned on. 

Yes, in both volumetric clouds and non-volumetric clouds mode, there is localized weather depiction/variation without any kind of "globalized" wx depiction.

• Like 12

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

6 hours ago, dave2013 said:

So 30 Euro is a "significantly" reduced price for a BETA version?

Don't think so.

Dave

Yes, 30-50% off the planned retail price (TBD) is what we would consider significantly reduced.  YMMV.

• Like 4

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

7 hours ago, dave2013 said:

So 30 Euro is a "significantly" reduced price for a BETA version?

Don't think so.

Dave

What’s the alternative? No weather or you set it up manually?

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Pictures do not do it justice, you really have to use in the sim to see how amazing it is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Balint Szarka said:

A website for AS P3D V6 Early Access Beta is up on HiFi's website showing Active Sky in P3D V6 and describing some of its features. For the moment they are saying that we should keep our eye on their website in the coming days.

Check it out on this link: https://hifisimtech.com/asp6/

So, would we have to purchase active sky again as well?

OR, can we simply just upgrade our active sky weather?

Many thanks and I will be taking a look at the link. 

Many thanks 

Ron

2 hours ago, SierraDelta said:

Sooo - let me get this right. I'm supposed to be paying 37.49 Euro for Early Access to a beta? I thought the whole idea of Early Access was frowned upon for all sorts of products?

It usually is and I don't typical engage in that type of thing however - Hi Fi are a reputable developer who deliver so I don't have a problem in this case.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

David Porrett

Have not bit the bullet for V6 as of yet but if I ever do Hi Fi AS would be the first add on I would purchase before anything else. I would have no complaints about purchasing it again and have used it for P3D V4, V5 as well as XP11 and 12. It is the go to live weather product as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

Gary Stewart

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

What’s the alternative? No weather or you set it up manually?

Well, there may be other lower-priced alternatives in the future. 

I'm a big fan of Hifisim and have been using Active Sky for many years.  I want Active Sky P3Dv6 and will pay a good deal to have it.  However, I believe that 30 Euros is a bit much for a BETA product.  I would, in effect, be paying Hifisim to be a Beta tester for them instead of the other way around.

Just my 2c.

Dave

• Like 1

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Well, if you're going to buy it anyway...

Hifi can be trusted with a beta pre-sale. Not so much for some other devs.

I have V6 but sitting on it for a while to see how things roll out. AS will be the first purchase when I do move on it.

"Some features of ASP6 are not compatible when using volumetric clouds at this time. This includes: Cloud detection features, in-cloud motion effect, in-cloud visibility reduction, high-resolution radar/precipitation accuracy, and ASCA compatibility."

I'd be interested to know if there is any radar functionality with volumetric clouds turned on. Like, is it passable, just not "high resolution?" Not having a working radar is one of the only reasons I haven't moved on to the other sim and I'd like to know that there's a pathway to ditching 2d clouds forever. Either way, I'll be supporting Hifi, as they've offered heavily discounted upgrade licenses for over a decade. 

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

Well I had no plans on buying P3D v6 but as soon as I saw that HiFi sim is in with a new version I had to get P3Dv6 and ASP6 just to show my support to @Damian Clark and @kterz .

Thank you guys and I wish you the best with this new version.

• Like 3