Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lith1um

FSX hangs every couple seconds??

Hey,this is rather strange and also pretty new to me. Although FSX is a pretty fresh install with updates, I currently experience the following: no matter if before flying (Select Flight dialog) or during a flight, every couple seconds the sim hangs for at least an annoying ten seconds. No significant HD activity as far as I can judge... Any ideas what could be the cause?? Nothing special running in the background also.Thanks in advance,Etienne :-wave

>Hey,>>this is rather strange and also pretty new to me. Although FSX>is a pretty fresh install with updates, I currently experience>the following: no matter if before flying (Select Flight>dialog) or during a flight, every couple seconds the sim hangs>for at least an annoying ten seconds. No significant HD>activity as far as I can judge... Any ideas what could be the>cause?? Nothing special running in the background also.>>Thanks in advance,>Etienne :-waveIs your disk running out of space?Also a defrag might be necessary.Sata drives are a good choice.

Guest SkyDrift

Some Anti-virus software can cause this too.- SkyDrift

Thanks a lot folks for the input.Well, now I have file indexing turned off (I believe), and indeed my C drive was sort of packed, so I gained some more space there. Also anti-virus is turned off. Still no luck. And it came all of sudden, but now it happens every time I want to run FS.I have also had a look at the task manager/processes/CPU usage. In the breaks FS does not even use any CPU power, that simply goes back to or near zero (saw that on the process list), see picture attached. The peaks are FS running normally.Also, as stated before, I can't see any siginificant HD activity within these brakes. No significant add-ons also, by the way...I guess I am pretty lost here. If anyone has another hint please do let me know.Thanks a lot,Etienne :-wavehttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178950.gif

Guest DLSpurlock

When this happened to me, it turned out to be the Autosave function of FSUIPC. It only happened to me when running the Wilco stuff for FSX. Once I disabled that everything was smooth again.Hope you find it.Dave Spurlock

Guest Lith1um

I read elsewhere of this symptom being caused by a motherboard bios setting.I think the guy may have had an asus board, can't remember. He left one bios setting on auto and it caused the same symptom. Once set manualy, the condition ceased.I think it may have been pci bus speed, pci express bus speed, hyper transport, or one of the other buses. Auto was causing the bus to drop to 1x instead of what it was supposed to be.Sorry I can't remember more detail, or where I saw it.Good luck with your problem.

Woohoo, I can't believe it. Just went ahead and deleted FSUIPC and look, the problem's gone. Insane. Wonder why...Now thanks a ton for the help buddies! :-hah If you now could just tell me why my SimConnect does not appear to work anymore I'd be a completely happy camper I guess. FSUIPC always reported a "failed on SimConnect_Open, FSUIPC cannot operate"... which is weird, I did fiddle around with the SimConnect.xml (global/local scopes and stuff) file but even deleting it completely did not bring SimConnect back to life. *:-* Now I understand SimConnect does somewhat use TCP/IP tech, so do I need to change anything to my network settings, open specific ports or anything...!?Any ideas?Thanks again, :-beerchugEtienne :-wave

>Woohoo, I can't believe it. Just went ahead and deleted>FSUIPC and look, the problem's gone. Insane. Wonder why...>>Now thanks a ton for the help buddies! :-hah If you now could>just tell me why my SimConnect does not appear to work anymore>I'd be a completely happy camper I guess. FSUIPC always>reported a "failed on SimConnect_Open, FSUIPC cannot>operate"... which is weird, I did fiddle around with>the SimConnect.xml (global/local scopes and stuff) file but>even deleting it completely did not bring SimConnect back to>life. *:-* Now I understand SimConnect does somewhat use>TCP/IP tech, so do I need to change anything to my network>settings, open specific ports or anything...!?>>Any ideas?>>Thanks again, :-beerchug>Etienne :-wave You may have solved one problem but you may also have set yourself up for lots of others.FSUIPC which you say you have deleted is essential for the smooth running of many addons(sim connect..dont no what it is probably not working because you have removed it)Your original problem may well have been solved by altering a setting in FSUIPC but not deleting it completely.cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

>You may have solved one problem but you may also have set>yourself up for lots of others.FSUIPC which you say you have>deleted is essential for the smooth running of many addons(sim>connect..dont no what it is probably not working because you>have removed it)Your original problem may well have been>solved by altering a setting in FSUIPC but not deleting it>completely.>cheers AndyThanks, but definately no. First I don't really need FSUIPC (cant quite remember why I had it installed), but more importantly SimConnect is a native part of FS that FSUIPC requires. So SimConnect cannot break because FSUIPC is not installed, much more can FSUIPC not connect to FS if SimConnect seems to be defect as it obviously is the case here.Thanks anyways, if there are more ideas don't hold em back. :)Cheers, :-beerchugEtienne :-wave

>Thanks, but definately no. First I don't really need>FSUIPC (cant quite remember why I had it installed), but more>importantly SimConnect is a native part of FS that>FSUIPC requires. So SimConnect cannot break because>FSUIPC is not installed, much more can FSUIPC not connect to>FS if SimConnect seems to be defect as it obviously is the>case here.Indeed you are correct there, Etienne. FSUIPC's failed attempts to connect to SimConnect manifested itself in the form of periodic slowdowns...Were you perhaps still running an out-of-date version of FSUIPC? A version mis-match between SimConnect and FSUIPC could well be the real problem.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Wohoo, thanks for all the help, but the newest version of FSUIPC (Oct 23) did the trick for me, for whatever reason. :-hahCheers, :-beerchugEtienne :-wave