Sign in to follow this  
Bell417

SP1 (what did it do?)

Guest davewins

If you couldn't tell I haven't been around in the last 9 or so months so I just noticed that there was a SP for FSX. In your honest opinion what did it do??While I am on the topic I also read that there will be a 2nd SP coming out between the release of Acceleration (which is also news to me lol) and Christmas. What is that GOING to do?? Thanks in advance.

I'd suggest you read Phil Taylor's (Microsoft ACES PM) weblog.Google search for "Phil Taylor blog".The short answer is: bug fixes and performance improvements, especially for multi processor systems ( Core2Duo etc).

Bert

Guest davewins

yeah I read that but I was curious from the people out there how it really helped?? From their opinion how did it help with all of the above mentioned. I have a C2D so I am very interested. I will be downloading it later today to find out for myself anyway.

>yeah I read that but I was curious from the people out there>how it really helped?? From their opinion how did it help>with all of the above mentioned. I have a C2D so I am very>interested. I will be downloading it later today to find out>for myself anyway.For me it did two things primarily. It moved autogen processing over to the other cores..if you have dual or quad cores and this way, you can move the autogen slider to the right and not hit FPS much. You also got good 30% or so FPS.However, it also introduced blurries. This is in contention. There are diehards here who swear that it did not happen. But for me, It did. There are few parameters that you change in cfg to minmize it. You will see those nasty green neon runways when you look around cause it keeps losing the textures and don't load the textures on time.I would give those extra FPS back to git rid of the blurries.But since this also fixes other small bugs and issues. I have th SP1 installed.I am hoping the SP2 would fix the blurries issue even if I don't switch to Vista/DX-10Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Ask yourself if you are happy with the performance you are currently getting. If you are happy don't add it. If you aren't, you can try it. For me, it raised my FPS some but introduced bad stutters, whereas before I had lower FPS but no stutters. For some reason, SP1 has different effects on different computers, for some it does wonders, for others, like me, it makes FSX worse. I have uninstalled it and FSX is running smoothly again.