Sign in to follow this  
Kymedic0215

Limited by Main Thread on New High-Spec Build

On 7/17/2023 at 7:32 AM, Lucky38i said:

This has an inherent vsync and uses resources, I'd advise using another FPS counter. With these specs he's going to be limited by main thread but that's not a bad thing in this situation. @Kymedic0215 You're CPU not working hard is fairly normal. In short you have a workstation CPU not a gaming CPU, the 7800X3D would've been a better choice but at this point that doesn't matter your CPU is more than enough to handle what's going on. It seems like it's not working hard is because MSFS will never saturate all of your cores cause it's not really a multi-core application, yet.

It might be helpful to show your current settings. Also the advise of other comments is very useful.

Also I know it sounds stupid.. but make sure your HDMI cable is connect to the GPU and not the mobo, happens to the best of us.

Confirmed HDMI is in GPU.

On 7/17/2023 at 6:58 PM, Ianrivaldosmith said:

Everything has its downfalls, nothing is perfect. But FG helps SO much in simming. I’ve been simming since the mid 90’s and in my opinion it’s one of the greatest things to ever happen to flightsims. £300 is way worth the extra (if you have it) for FG alone. 

Ps less Vram? The 4090 has more vram than the 7900XT. 

Picked up the 7900XT for $800.  Didn't want to shell out an extra grand for the 4090.  Also, what do you mean "FG"?

On 7/18/2023 at 9:43 AM, Noel said:

This was my thought, but that chipset drivers may not be up to date or installed at all.  

Chipset drivers are all updated.

1 hour ago, Kymedic0215 said:

Also, what do you mean "FG"?

Nvidia "frame generation", but there is no need for that if you get 60 fps with your AMD card, I have a 4070 Ti and can't use FG either as the card doesn't have enough VRAM at high detailed add-on airports, but it have enough power and memory to handle DX-11.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | Seasonic Vertex 1000W I LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

To get msfs to use the 3D cores it is recommended to do the following explained below ( taken from Guru of 3d)

Software dependency on the 7900 series

As previously mentioned, the chiplet containing the X3D cache will feature slower cores, while the regular chiplet will have faster cores. This adds complexity as games tend to favour speedier processor cores. However, with the release of the 7000X3D series, AMD's chipset divers, in collaboration with Microsoft Windows features, will aid in addressing this challenge, which works well but is a bit of a hindrance as it is quite a procedure.

Step-by-Step Guide for Maximizing Performance with AMD Ryzen 7000 Series and 3D V-Cache Technology:

1. Update your BIOS to the latest one available. This will ensure the intended performance and functionality of the AMD Ryzen 7000 Series with AMD 3D V-cache.
  2. Enable Game Mode in Windows by going to "Settings / Gaming / Game Mode" and turning it on.
  3. Update the Xbox Game Bar App to the latest version.
  4. Install the required Chipset Driver (version 5.01.03.005 or newer). After installation, restart the system and verify that the device manager has "AMD 3D V-Cache Performance Optimizer" and that the "AMD 3D V-Cache Performance Optimizer Service" is running. Also, verify that the "amd3dvcacheUser.exe" program is running in the task manager.
  5. Run "Process Idle Tasks" by opening the command prompt as an administrator and entering "Cmd.exe /c start /wait Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks". This may take some time (up-to 15 minutes), so try not to touch the keyboard or mouse during the process.
  6. Verify the KGL Version Loaded by pressing "Win+G" to open the Xbox Game Bar App and check that the KGL Version Loaded is the same as the KGL Service Version.

Additionally 

1.  From what i am reading windows power management should also be in balanced mode as well so windows doesn't migrate to the "faster" non 3d cores while the sim is running.
  2. I am also of the impression that you may have missed a "trick" by not getting an Nvidia card. For the purposes of this sim frame gen has more upsides than downsides. an RTX 4080 would have been my choice with a 7800X3D to avoid having to use windows game bar to facilitate proper cpu core scheduling when games are run on a dual CCD chip. It probably would have cost the same considering you would have paid less for the 7800X3D and forwarded those proceeds towards the Nvidia GPU.

Good luck with the troubleshooting.

Edited by Maxis
  • Upvote 2

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D/ Asus ROG Strix B650E F Gaming WiFi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200 Pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li LanCool II Mesh Performance / Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard Amp.

Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke + T.16000M Joystick + TFRP Rudders

Is it better to stick with the 5800X3D?

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

9 minutes ago, Krakin said:

Is it better to stick with the 5800X3D?

That's more of a budget question than anything else

The 5800X3D is on the (now old) AM4 platform and  while cheaper .. there will be nothing faster than the 5800x3d for gaming on socket AM4. So for someone like me who is presently on that AM4 platform and do not want or cannot spend anything substantial at the moment the 5800X3d is my option. If you want 7800X3d levels of performance you are looking at buying not only the CPU but a new MB and DDR5 Ram as well. So if you dont have an AM4 based system then i would lean heavily to getting the Socket AM5 all new build with the higher upfront cost. You will have faster chips available as the platform is new and faster x3d chips will be released for it in time.

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D/ Asus ROG Strix B650E F Gaming WiFi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200 Pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li LanCool II Mesh Performance / Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard Amp.

Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke + T.16000M Joystick + TFRP Rudders