Sign in to follow this  
Guest supernova50

FSX not able to start.

Guest supernova50

Hello all,I am just recently having problems with FSX. I am getting the following error message:Flight Simulator was unable to load some program files and will now exit. Please reinstall FS to restore or repair the program installation.I searched the forum and there were some suggestions to try. So far I have done the following:1.) Tried to restore windows to an earlier restore point. Windows XP is not doing that for some reason. (another problem to work on.)2.) Removed FSX.cfg file so that FSX would build another. (didn't work)3.) Tried a suggestion from Holger and put a new target shortcut into the icon properties. (didn't work).If anyone has any other suggestions, please feel free. I had hear that maybe Norton AntiVirus might mess up the restore option, but I tried disabling that and restore still didn't work. Another option I heard of is to reboot in Safe mode and restore from that. Have not tried that yet.So I am left with putting the FSX install disk and running that. First of all does anyone know if a repair option comes up as a choice or does FSX just install itself? Second, I have FSX SP1 installed. Will I have to reinstall that? Third, addons like UTX, UT for 2007 and FEX, will those need to be reinstalled.Thanks in advance,KenAMD 4800+Nvidia G7800 AGP 512mg2 mg RamWindows XP Pro

Guest Lith1um

A corrupt pilots logbook will cause FSX not to start.Try moving logbook.bin to another location.There is a utility in the avsim file library that can repair a damaged logbook by removing the corrup entry.

Guest supernova50

Thanks,I moved the logbook.bin file out of the folder it was in. FSX still did not start.Thanks,Ken

Guest Marlin Manhiem

I was thinking logbook too.Try running this program, fsxlogrecovery11.zip which is located here in the libary.

Guest supernova50

I moved the logbook.bin back to the directory and ran the recovery program. It told me there were no errors. FSX still will not start.Thanks,Ken

Try running fsx from the command prompt, using the manualstart flag, ie>fsx -manualstartFSX will then prompt before loading each module. It won't fix the problem, but it might help identify what's causing it.

Guest supernova50

Tim,Tried your suggestion. Get the same error windows as listed in my first message. Thanks,Ken

Guest supernova50

Hey Guys,I was able install a restore point after starting windows xp in safe mode. I went back to 10/10/2007 before installation of Software Distribution Service 3.0. That must be an automatic windows install because I don't remember it. Anyway I was able to start FSX and the restore. Now I have to go back and re-download and install freeware addons from the past week. Oh well, thanks to everyone for there suggestions and it looks like I will be able to purchase Acceleration next week. Microsoft will sure be happy.Ken

Guest Marlin Manhiem

I'm glad you got it running, good job.