Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

FSX one year Anniversary

In my case when I saw textures that finally looked like the view out the window of my plane with high resolution vs. sim city 2000 looks, and finally felt a landing that felt like landing a real airplane (vs. rails) I could not turn back-let alone the higher default mesh (yes pilots tend to worry about running into mesh).Multiplayer shared cockpit sessions where I could instruct a student or give scenic flights I have taken, along with me acting as atc, missions that had real world decisions and unexpected situations -all icing on the cake.Then there are all the hundreds of little things-which I bet a lot who obsess on only fps miss.It isn't perfect-but imho is a huge step forward. To be honest-I'd like better fps too-but on my 4 year old system the fps is so much better than any other past version of fs I haven't had the need to immediately upgrade-maybe a negative as I am now happy with mediocre performance when in the past dismall performance would have caused me to upgrade pronto. I will soon though-and then all the improvements will for sure shine.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

>How is this ACES fault? People already are asking for no>backward compatibility between FSX and FSXI. What then? Will>this be ACES fault also?>Not only that.....ACES never programmed FS9 to be self deleting when installing FSX... :-hah L.Adamson --- remembering "Mission Impossible"

Guest skyking

Poor Bill Gates, I think he his some stock in some of the add on companys, for FSX, I have both F9 and FSX, FSX makes me think a little like Vista, both have lots of bugs. I will wait for a new Flightsim and still run F9 and also wait for a new OS from micosoft and still run XP and F9 with the add ons. Vista is not a gammers system.We all have become testers for Micosoft!! I wish Google with all there money would come out with a new OS system, And give Bill a little run for his money!!

After one year I have mixed emotions .My pc can handle FSX very good , but I want to fly from one detailed airport to another airport with my jet aircraft.I only fly in Europe and there are just 4 or 5 larger airports to fly to.The lack of detailed addon airports spoils a lot of the fun.Several addon airports where announced for future release but few have been released up to now.The 3rd party developers are not to blaim for this ; it is the difficult structure of how FSX has been programmed.Nice weather / clouds / sky / water / landclass / mesh / sharper ground textures are a good thing, but I take off and land on an airport.If Fs XI is going to be released within 1 year from now with a new structure again ( to improve performance ) I really fear that there will never be that many airport addons for FSX.Imho a new Fs once very 3 years would be smarter so all developers would have the chance fully explore it and have their time to release new addons.But probably commercially wise that won't be done.Summary : I see FSX as a transition Fs to better , more realistic future versions, and it will never have the popularity that Fs9 had.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Guest unitedpilot36

>If Fs XI is going to be released within 1 year from now with a>new structure again ( to improve performance ) I really fear>that there will never be that many airport addons for FSX.A year? I'd put my money on 2.

It's been a year and I've done the unthinkable - FSX is installed and FS9 isn't. (I feel like I've dumped my old dog off on a country road and driven away.)I had FS9 all on its own on my 80GB D: drive and FSX on my main C: with everything else. I felt it was time to trade them around to get the most out of FSX. Yesterday I uninstalled both but only re-installed FSX on the D:, so now it's got its very own home with no clutter. A nice clean install with just the essential add-ons; FEX + UTX-Canada + Genesis mesh, and a couple of custom planes. It's completely flyable, smooth and gorgeous(!) at 1920x1200 with the AA & AF set mediuum-high. I have the autogen buildings set low and the trees set extra-high, and I'm having great flights all across Canada.I'll re-install FS9, if for no other reason than to fly the big cities with full AI flights at the big airports at 25+ FPS, but I'm having such a great time bush flying and puddle jumping across the Canadian wilderness in FSX I'm happy to say FSX is my main sim from now on. FS9 is fantastic, but there is nothing in it to match the incredible Haagen-Dazs eye candy I'm getting in FSX.Now, bring on Acceleration!

It's not ACES fault, but I do feel that some 3rd parties have either seem to have thrown in the towel or have less interest porting their add-ons to FSX. It also seems that the "culture" of addons has changed with fewer, but higher-quality offerings.Pat

Seems like ACES has no plans to create an FSX sp3 for Windows XP with Dx9.0c and this sim still has mucho bugs.

Guest n99wb

From day one, I was enthralled with FSX. The Goose, Airbus, Beaver andMaule are just outstanding default aircraft. And the CRJ, wow!The sounds, water and ground textures are excellent. Performance wassolved with disablepreload, bufferpools and defrag. Then SP1 came out.Currently, I don't have FS9 on my machine.

Still enjoying it and waiting for Acceleration anxiously.Nothing like being on final in the Dornier Do-27, SF260 or Scout over a highway with moving traffic, beautiful clouds from FEX and turbulent air via ASX to get the heart pumping.Frame rates are stellar on my machine with even near max settings for this type of flying and add in Ultimate Terrain and Scenery Tech landclass and I'm not complaining.Is FSX perfect, no, but do I enjoy it still after one year, you bet.

This is kind off topic, but someone requested a Squawkbox version for Flight Unlimited 3 over on the SB forum, and I was reading the archived review from IGN:"Frame rates are noticeably slower than other recent civilian flight sims, likely due to the highly-detailed terrain. Ironically, this hurts the "suspension of disbelief" factor in FU3, unless you're running a high-end Pentium II or III with boatloads of RAM and a solid 3D card. Forget what the box recommends for system requirements, you'll need a fast mother to get the most out of this game. And get this, the player has an option to install 300MB up to a whopping 2+ GB to the hard drive! I tested the game on an older P333, with 64MB RAM and a Voodoo Banshee, and even with the max install and not all effects turned on, there's a number of noticeable hiccups and generally slow frame rate issues. Naturally, my experience was much better on a Pentium III 450 with 192MB RAM and a 32MB Matrox G400, and at the highest resolution (1024 x 768), but not all gamers have this kind of horsepower. Allegedly, Looking Glass Studios is releasing a patch at the end of October or early November to help resolve the frame-rate beefs."It brought back some memories. I remember those days of trying to get FU3 to work on my system.

Guest United

Yes it will be. They're the driving force. It's a business and they made a business decision and for me, the wrong one. I side with the addon artists who where left out of the loop and as far as I can see, still are. Jaw at me all you want, I'm grossly disappointed and will not be funding more money at addons this term or next just to have ACES change something yet again and guess what........they won't be telling anyone about their secret little changes for FS11, FS12 or FS35 will they. Good luck with that, I don't buy it!Randy Jura, KPDX

>Yes it will be. They're the driving force. It's a business>and they made a business decision and for me, the wrong one. I>side with the addon artists who where left out of the loop and>as far as I can see, still are. Jaw at me all you want, I'm>grossly disappointed and will not be funding more money at>addons this term or next just to have ACES change something>yet again and guess what........they won't be telling anyone>about their secret little changes for FS11, FS12 or FS35 will>they. Good luck with that, I don't buy it!>I'm sure you have your set of priorities, and I certainly have mine. If I could just get "one" FS9 aircraft to behave with all the qualities that the FSX version of the RealAir SF260 has............I'd be thrilled!I still use FS9 thanks to those high quality 3rd party airports and scenery addons, but I can tell a lacking difference in the sensation of flight, every time I do! Whatever ACES changed with FSX, it's certainly for the better!So, unlike yourself, I'd sure like to see that RealAir "Duke" "addon" come about for FSX, simply because FSX appears to have a better platform for both the aircraft, and simulated air that they fly in. The difference is VERY noticeable, considering I actually flip flop between the sims enough to take note...L.Adamson