Sign in to follow this  
Mozzy

Yet another weather addon.

Hi Geoff,Sorry, maybe I didn't explain myself very well in that last post.I have read the info on the hifi page, but my concern is that ASX is still in it's infancy and has a major issue with windshifts.Now it appears that to eliminate the windshift issue it is going to mean buying a new version known as ASX Advanced.On reflection, maybe this is not such a bad thing if the discount for existing ASX owners is of a good proportion!Glenn

I truly hope the wind shift issue is fixed. I thought is was gong to be fixed in ASX. I can't use ASX with a jet on autopilot because it gets tossed out of the sky if I leave the plane to walk my dog. :) Bob...

It's great that he's accomplished all that flying and I enjoy reading his insights and pictures, but I'm not going to carbon copy his opinion on expensive add-ons because of his real world flying abilities. The reality for me is that this new ASX would have to be either a very cheap upgrade or absolutely jaw-dropping incredible because I've found that for me FSX is only enjoyable under very limited circumstances.

Gee...I dunno, I've been using FS since FS5, fly almost entirely in FSX now, am shelling out as much bucks as I want for all the third party stuff (as I did in FS9), and will probably shell out more for these promising products as well.If there wasn't a market for these products, they would not be taking the time to develop them.Personally, I like what I see, especially the flight planner...after seeing these announcements, I am holding off purchasing another planner, as I know the quality Hi-Fi will provide.

>It's my opinion, but isn't it also pretty obvious why I have>that opinion? A year after FSXs release and some of the most>highly anticipated add-ons are coming out for FS9. I think>that says something about the rocky transition. >I Disagree most heartily>But because I know exactly where this conversation is going>I'm done responding to you before it gets out of hand. If you can't take the heat...RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>There is one glaring problem with ASX right now that almost>renders it useless - the wind shift issue.>>I know this is primarily a MS/ACES issue and it seems>'simconnect' is not all it was cracked up to be.>>However, there seems to be very little communication between>customers/Hifi/ACES to let us know exacltly where this>windshift problem stands. Hifi blames ACES, ACES don't comment>rinse and repeat.The "wind shift issue" is absolutely an FS problem. It has been so for the past three versions of FS. Pete Dowson was able to hack into the data stream of FS9 in his FSUIPC module to mitigate the sudden wind shift into a "smoother transition."Unfortunately, FSX has changed all the internal offsets used by his "hack," so of course this smoothing algorithim no longer functions.SimConnect has yet to implement the hooks needed to make this possible as well. Since the public announcement of the upcoming "DevCon" it's no longer any "secret" that many payware and freeware developers have been actively working with ACES over the past eighteen months. Specifics of what has been discussed of course remains priveleged information. :)So, if any particular developer states that "it's an FS problem," you can reasonably accept that as gospel, unless contradicted in public by one of the ACES's representatives who post here... ...I know that I've been corrected at least once! :-lol

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Whilst I am happy that there is a fix in the pipeline for the annoying windshift issue, I am NOT happy that it isn't going to be fixed in ASX. HiFi Sim has stated all along that this issue would be fixed in ASX if it could be fixed outside of the FSX engine, which obviously it can since the new ASA product will fix it, so I don't see why ASX can't be given this same fix.. FWIW, ASX meets all my current FSX weather needs, except windshift control.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Hi Geofa,My comments were to WingNut (in which I captured and quoted) which seems he has retracted or removed his O.P.In this reply, I would say that my intent other than the a really excited user irritant, was that you as well as other real-world pilots add tremendously to this verbal exchange within ALL forums and upon all issues, and that I see yours as well as other real-world pilot's 'opinions' to come with serious credentials.This does not mean that one must carbon-stamp what you say, and that is not what I meant AT ALL. I would only hope that one disagreeing with you, or other real-world pilots, would read three or four times your comments, and then digest them. You have been there...the lot of you, while a lot of us hobbyists have turned off the computer, and pushed away from our desks. I hope you guys and gals never sell your computers, (smile).I find real-world pilot's forum inputs valuable, and premium.That was my brunt.Cheers!Mitch

>Whilst I am happy that there is a fix in the pipeline for the>annoying windshift issue, I am NOT happy that it isn't going>to be fixed in ASX. HiFi Sim has stated all along that this>issue would be fixed in ASX if it could be fixed outside of>the FSX engine, which obviously it can since the new ASA>product will fix it, so I don't see why ASX can't be given>this same fix.. FWIW, ASX meets all my current FSX weather>needs, except windshift control.>>GaryI concur!

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Keep that Baron stocked with AVGAS and a map to somewhere you haven't yet flown...for my imagination is right up there with ya, guy!:)Mitch'er

Unfortunately-they found a crack in the right engine crankcase on our brand new engines at annual! The engine is off-back at the factory and it looks like it might be a 2 month turn around (luckily warranty kicks in).So right now the only Baron I am flying is in fs-thank god for fs!Even with its bugs-they don't get as bad as reality-and don't cost as much either! :-)http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Hi,The smoothing planned in ASA will not be a "fix" but rather a large development effort to get around some fundamental transition problems we are up against. We are still very early in development. But as mentioned in our forum about this, if it ends up being portable, it will be ported. It's too early to tell.There is also an ASX SP2 upgrade in the works that further addresses wind shifts.In short, ASX is not being abandoned, we are still actively developing for it. Wind shift issues have always been a focus and continue to be for SP2.ASA is quite a ways out and smoothing is just one small aspect of the greater vision. There are all kinds of features (many yet to be announced) that we think will be a big hit, and there will be a significant discount for ASX owners.Best,

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Thanks Damian Good to know. I felt the same way when Ground env Pro was announced just a week after I bought Ground Env. However, their pricing was such that it was very fair. They basically priced the Env Pro discount to the value of Ground Env. If a product has been out for an entire FSim cycle, such expectation may not be right. but for a new product that is not far fetched. IMO. But thats just about expectations.. not questioning the right to price a product any way the vendor feels.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter