Sign in to follow this  
Illegitimi non carborundum

Mesh Anomaly at Dillingham

Towards the end of the default field of Dillingham in Oahu, there is a large mound with water textures on it. I'm running FSGenesis world mesh and maybe that's the culprit. I'm thinking about buying Aerosoft's Dillingham but want to be sure I can get rid of that mountain of water.Anyone else see this?Thanks.Randall

RandallI have Bill Womack's Dillingham and Megascenery Hawaii and there is no mound as you describe. I never went there in the default scenery (plus FSG) so I can't say if the above 2 addons removed the problem.RegardsPeter Hayes

Guest CocoLoco

I think it's an FSGenisis thing - I have it as well and I have FSGenesis + MegaScenery Hawaii X. I think it turned up after I installed FSGenesis. I don't recall seeing it there beforehand.David

>Towards the end of the default field of Dillingham in Oahu,>there is a large mound with water textures on it. I'm running>FSGenesis world mesh and maybe that's the culprit. I'm>thinking about buying Aerosoft's Dillingham but want to be>sure I can get rid of that mountain of water.>>Anyone else see this?>>Thanks.>>RandallIf you are refering to the blue thingie near the bottom of the mountain, it looks like a rock to me.Is this what you are talking about?

>>Towards the end of the default field of Dillingham in Oahu,>>there is a large mound with water textures on it. I'm>running>>FSGenesis world mesh and maybe that's the culprit. I'm>>thinking about buying Aerosoft's Dillingham but want to be>>sure I can get rid of that mountain of water.>>>>Anyone else see this?>>>>Thanks.>>>>Randall>>>If you are refering to the blue thingie near the bottom of the>mountain, it looks like a rock to me.>>Is this what you are talking about?>>I couldn't open up the file--is showing as a text file. Anyways, yes, as you described but it definitely has water textures on it.Looks like it's an FSGenesis thing. Thanks. Randall

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the mesh. Take this with a grain of salt, because I can't see the object in question (the attachment posted was incorrectly marked as type .txt, not jpg), but there can potentially be more to it than mesh:If the coastline is not as accurate, and most in FSX are not, then the bump will show as sea, when it's really supposed to be land. That's not the mesh's fault.I have seen this problem at other places and that was the reason.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest CocoLoco

OK - the attachment shows what we are talking about. There is a pond with floats in it at the west end of the runway at Dillingham. Even with all terrain sliders full right, it has crept onto the adjacent slope giving the appearance of a bluish rock (complete with wave animations in water 2.hi). Interestingly, Google Earth does the same thing if you look at it in 3D terrain view (not sure if it is permissible to post a screen shot of this so I have erred on the side of caution). I think there is a very steep slope at this edge of the pond which is giving rise to this effect. Unless you had hand tailored the terrain mesh, you would be unlikely to spot this. I don't remember the watery slope being there prior to installing FSGenesis - is there a way I can disable FSGenesis for just the Hawaii area to confirm this?Please note that I'm not unhappy with FSGenesis - Justin can hardly be held responsible for handcrafting the mesh of the entire planet. It's just one of those things. My only wish is that there were some way to automagically flatten airports to the surrounding terrain level. If someone knows a definitive automated procedure that could be encoded to achieve this (i.e. read this file, get this value, create this file and place here etc), I would be willing to program it up and give it a shot. I've tried to do this manually at Milford Sound, NZ and didn't have much luck so didn't fancy writing up code based on a poorly understood (by me) process. I also suspect if it was possible, Justin would have done it by now.RegardsDavidhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/179048.jpg

It does indeed look fixed. Another good reason to get Bill's Dillingham!Thanks.Randall

It's not a mesh anomaly - mesh does not create ponds / bodies of water - but it can stand existing one on their sides as the photo suggests.There is not a pond or other body of water there in the default FSX or after the FSGenesis National Landclass project is added.Google Earth does show a pond at that location - so some other addon has placed the pond.Either the addon which placed the pond does not have the correct data to keep the pond flat, or it's placement in the scenery layering is wrong.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/179072.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/179073.jpg

IRL I think there is a sort of reservoir or pond there. It looks like maybe the Army excavated some there perhaps when they built the airfield. I don't see the purpose of it, if it was intended as a reservoir at one time. I have gone through some of the old revetments and concrete pads that are there (most of the buildings are gone). I think maybe the water needs to be flattened. I'm not home for a couple weeks otherwise I would run up there and take some photos to show how it looks.scott s..

>IRL I think there is a sort of reservoir or pond there. It>looks like maybe the Army excavated some there perhaps when>they built the airfield. I don't see the purpose of it, if it>was intended as a reservoir at one time. I have gone through>some of the old revetments and concrete pads that are there>(most of the buildings are gone). I think maybe the water>needs to be flattened. >>I'm not home for a couple weeks otherwise I would run up there>and take some photos to show how it looks.>>scott s.>.>Yes, it's an old quarry.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guest UlfB

Hi all,Ultimate Terrain X USA?Edited after initial post: Megascenery Hawaii adds this pond, but it climbs on the hill. The dillingham scenery makes the pond look allright. That's my result of testing with FSX.And the pond shows up allright in Google Earth as shown in this picture:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/179105.jpgUlf B :-)

You must be using UT-X or some other add-on, because Dillingham doesn't look like that in my FSGenesis+FSX install.The pond simply is not there. That's why you must have some 3rd-party scenery installed to get the pond.Usually, I have found in scenery design, when I see a situation like this, it means that the pond is slightly wrongly located, and the mesh is correct.At Dillingham, that old quarry/pond could be off by 10 meters and end up on the side of that hill. That's how close the hill is to the water!That is a spot that needs tweaking for sure because of the close tolerances.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB