Sign in to follow this  
mmcmah

Major terrain popping around TFFJ

Has anyone else flown around TFFJ and had MASSIVE terrain popping issues? Everywhere I look when taking off from there is terrible with huge elevation changes as objects get drawn and layers filled in. Is this normal with online graphics and photogrammetry on? 200 LOD and Ultra graphics settings.

Yep the sim is lacking in that regard if you ask me, immersion killer.  Its hit and miss, better in some places worse in others.  Don't go chasing your settings or a snake oil fix.

• Upvote 1

Thomas Derbyshire

Turning off Bing Data World Graphics (which also turns off Photogrammetry), makes the problem go away, but then the scenery looks generic. Turning on the Bing Data World Graphics (but not turning Photogrammetry back on) makes the problem recur as well, so it seems like it's an issue with the World Graphics. I'm on a gigabit ethernet connection, so it shouldn't be bandwidth.

There is a known conflict with South America  mesh (from Orbx) which causes this. Remove the mesh and it is fixed.

Edited by Eclex
  • Upvote 1

Dave Swigert

WIN 10/  i7-9700K@4.8 GHz/ 32 GB ram/ BENQ BL3200 monitor/ NVIDIA GTX1080 TI video

3 minutes ago, Eclex said:

There is a known conflict with South America  mesh (from Orbx) which causes this. Remove the mesh and it is fixed.

AMAZING! Just tried it now and it made all the difference!! Thank you so much. I still got minor popping, but that's normal for the sim. I upped the TLOD to 400 and the popping went away entirely. I will have to remember to change that when I'm flying around there.

Is this a general issue with South America (and I should therefore leave it off - I use Addons Linker), or just in this area of the Caribbean?

I usually keep the Orbx mesh on. I don't know how far north from SA it reaches across the Caribbean islands, but can't recall many complaints elsewhere.

Dave Swigert

WIN 10/  i7-9700K@4.8 GHz/ 32 GB ram/ BENQ BL3200 monitor/ NVIDIA GTX1080 TI video

12 minutes ago, Eclex said:

I usually keep the Orbx mesh on. I don't know how far north from SA it reaches across the Caribbean islands, but can't recall many complaints elsewhere.

Here is a map from the Orbx forums: https://forum.orbxdirect.com/topic/214565-south-america-mesh/?do=findComment&comment=1814249

I will keep it in mind to try not using it in the Caribbean and seeing if it interferes with other parts of South America.

Thanks again.

• Like 1