Sign in to follow this  
Guest Lith1um

FSGenisis and FSX?

Short and simple..... Before i splash out....Does FSG does the same great jot with FSX as it does with FS9?

Since FSX terrain is an improvement over FS9, it may not be as apparent.The answer is still, Yes.

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

>Short and simple..... Before i splash out....>>Does FSG does the same great jot with FSX as it does with>FS9?No not even close, the default mesh in FS9 was very weak but the mesh in FSX is great.Default FSX mesh is at much higher resolution to begin with.FSG mesh is sampled higher than FSX mesh but in use I found little difference in the areas I fly. FSG (Jason) is great to deal with, very helpful and will offer a refund if your not happy.Here's a compare I did over Banff: Any real difference?http://www.pbase.com/jackcnd/image/68141972/original.jpgMaybe others have better screenshots.Ulitmate Terrain X Canada will make a much bigger visual difference in Canada.

It certainly does more in FS9, that's for sure. But it does take FSX Canada from 76 meters to 38 meters, and the US from 38 meters to 9 meters.The price is low, the FPS hit is none to minimal, and it's an overall improvement. I say splash away!

There is a big difference in mesh resolution in MANY areas (FSGenesis offers higher resolution than default FSX). If you configure FSX for 10M resolution in the areas that offer it you will notice a difference. I own FSG2008 as well, but FSGenesis is much better (although there are elveation issues at some airports but for me thats a minor issue).Follow this link for the comparisons:http://www.fsgenesis.com/Merchant2/merchan...uct_Code=SP1BDL

Those who have FSG mesh for North America can you post some screenshots from Canada and the US with location details, so we compare ....The mesh resolution sounds good, but does it make a difference...

Hi Guys,The problem with distance screenshots is that as the terrain resolution gets higher, the display distance gets shorter. It's essentially hard-coded into the terrain engine for performance reasons. So showing shots of mountains 25 km in the distance is not going to show any difference. Shots of terrain within 7-10 km distance will show the higher detail.Think concentric rings of terrain radiating out from your aircraft's position. The closest ring will have the highest resolution terrain, the most distant ring, the lowest resolution.For instance, due to the distance of those mountains only the 76m ring will display, no matter what the resolution of the terrain is. Come closer in and you will see the 38m terrain ring, closer yet, the 19m terrain ring. And in the US, closer yet, the 10m terrain ring.Hope this helps explain things . . .-------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

For me..its a good and bad.Yes..FSGenesis improves the elevation resolution much more... but some airports being elevated or sunk in or in some cases textures not falling flat. Sand Diego and few other airports is a pain. So I end up removing a large section of he FSGenesis terrain. But thats not due to the specific FSGenesis product. Its just that the default elevation and any higher resolution mesh is going to have these anomalies.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hi Justin ...I so love the realism your product adds ...I knew this was the issue when the screenshots of the distant mountains was posted.Along the same line, When I am displaying the 10 m resolution, how does THAT compare with what FSX can offer by default.Thanks ... always wondered that.Steve

Thanks to all for great feedback. Now for an informed decision.....SPERRRRRRRRRRR>>>>>>>>>>LASH!!!!!

I tried the package last year it was far from complete when it 1st went on sale, maybe I didn't have FSX configured right.Would love to see some screenshots with location and consider it again with the sale FSG has on...

>Those who have FSG mesh for North America can you post some>screenshots from Canada and the US with location details, so>we compare ....>The mesh resolution sounds good, but does it make a>difference...>I have FSG for FSX. YES!

Go for Justin's mesh, you can't go wrong with it, for the majority of the world Justin's stuff improves the elevation resolution...

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR

Guest Lith1um

Justin,Have you given any consideration towards writing a simple app so fixing airport elevation could be idiot proofed for people like me? Im not talking about a "make it perfect" app, but just a simple app that could lower an entire airport to an elevation somewhat closer to the terrain by using trial and error gestimates by the end user.I'd pay for a utility such as that, no matter who made it. I don't care if an airport is 5 or 10 feet off, but 30 or 40+ looks bad. It wouldn't even have to try massaging the poly's surrounding the flatten, just adjust gross elevation and I'd be happy.Something like a gui that shows current airport elevation numbers, and perhaps an elevation wheel for adjustment would be prime. I could view an airport in game and make a guesstimate how far above/below a field is compared to it's surroundings. Then I could exit the game and tweak the elevation, then restart the game and see how it looks. A little skill development and it should become easier as I do more airports.I love the improved terrain res provided by FSG. I think it was an incredible purchase value. But I recently reinstalled FSX and SP1 in anticipation of Adrenaline. Im torn because I don't want to spoil the new missions with graphical glitches untill I've had a chance to enjoy them. For that reason I'm problably gonna hold off reinstalling FSG. But then I feel like I'm missing out on some nice visuals during those missions and I really don't want to fly without FSG.I know it's not your bug or problem, so it may be a bit much to ask. But I have no idea how to do it myself so ask is all I can do. Maybe a 3rd party could code a simplistic app. I wish someone would.