Sign in to follow this  
mgh

A question for Cessna employees

Guest fsxmissionguy

I was just wondering ... why is there no FSX model of the Skycatcher yet?http://cessnaskycatcher.com/Why are there no missions featuring this fine aircraft?It seems to me that Flight Simulator X should be a part of the marketing campaign for ANY new general aviation aircraft. Missions could include "test flight" type missions, actual emergency procedures missions demonstrating procedures unique to the Skycatcher, aircraft checklist familiarization missions, etc.Putting people in a virtual model of this fine aircraft might boost sales ... if nothing else, it would generate a tremendous amount of excitement around this fantastic looking plane. And, it would give the people who've placed orders some time to become familiar with the new aircraft they have on order.There are lots of talented aircraft modelers, scenery modelers and mission designers who could work with you to help you market your aircraft to a captive audience which has already shown an interest in general aviation.I'm just wondering why the aircraft manufacturers aren't a bigger part of the FSX aftermarket community and utilizing the resources that are here?

Guest cr8nkaos

Have they even started flight testing the Skycatcher? I would guess no and therefore they have no idea what kind of flight model info to provide to FSX. All we would get would be an unrealistic guess regarding the performance of the aircraft. The bigger question for me is why wasn't the current best selling single-engine piston aircraft included in FSX (the Cirrus)?

>Have they even started flight testing the Skycatcher? I>would guess no and therefore they have no idea what kind of>flight model info to provide to FSX. All we would get would>be an unrealistic guess regarding the performance of the>aircraft. The bigger question for me is why wasn't the>current best selling single-engine piston aircraft included in>FSX (the Cirrus)?Thats cause..there is a fantastic Cirrus SR-22 and an SR-20 available from Eaglesofthttp://www.eaglesoftdg.com/CirrusSR22G2.htm

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest fsxmissionguy

I think those are valid points ... however, this aircraft is extremely similar to the 162. Modelling the interior and exterior, and giving it the expected flight characteristics would still open up the possibility for mission-based scenarios specific to this aircraft and its expected equipment.It would also drum up excitement for the product (my view, IANAP). I'm quite surprised that none of the marketing departments of the GA manufacturers are capitalizing on FSX.

Not only am I surprised that the Ga manufactures would not be making free models of their aircraft-not only for P.R. but for help training buyers of their products-but that the commercial carriers not only don't do this-but even forbid it. I can't think of a better commercial for them than people proudly posting shots of their logos everywhere!?Unfortunately it seems thinking outside the box is becoming less a part of today's world-perhaps due to the fear of litigation at every move.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Let's be reasonable here. It takes a good year to make a good model of an aircraft inside and out, get it tested and released, at least. I would say that both Cessna and ACES have quite a few other things on their plate at the moment than to worry about this plane. It's a nice idea, but I think it would have been more reasonable for you to suggest that you would like to see a model of the Skycatcher created. I find it a little presumptuous of you to ask why nobody has done it yet, thereby implying that they have the wrong priorities.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Some simmers complain about forking over more than $10.00 for an FS9 to FSX upgrade. $120,000+ for an LSA "trainer" might be a bit too much! :D L.Adamson

Guest fsxmissionguy

Thomas,What I was trying to suggest is that I'm confused about why Cessna itself hasn't done it yet - as part of their marketing campaign. Why haven't they hired some of the talented artists in the FSX community to produce a model of their aircraft for FSX as part of their broader marketing strategy? Why not hire top mission desginers on a contract basis to produce missions featuring their unique design?The engineering and marketing of the Skycatcher has been years in the making. We're only now seeing the results of that work.Having a companion marketing effort working alongside the actual engineering inhouse would be a fantastic way to introduce the virtual plane to the part of the public that can't attend the unveilings of the actual plane at Oshkosh.And as Geof said ... it's always been curious to me that the GA manufacturers go out of their way to prevent FSX models of their products.So, I was merely curious what the thinking was, and not trying to suggest that the community isn't producing enough add-on aircraft.Hope that clears it up.Cheers,Kevin(PS: I'd like to hear from anyone who might work for Cessna!)

>And as Geof said ... it's always been curious to me that the>GA manufacturers go out of their way to prevent FSX models of>their products.Seriously? I can understand if they wont make them thier self, but they actually try to stop developers from making models of thier aricraft? I don't understand why they would do that, or how they could have any say in the matter.

Guest jshyluk

I would imagine that legal and financial issues would be the biggest constraint to getting real-world aircraft companies to participate in MSFS.You might want to look into Kenmore Air in Seattle, whose Beaver is in FSX. Kenmore is the first real-world airline to be featured in MSFS out of the box. They also build their own aircraft. If you are coming to the FanCon, Kenmore Air is very close to the convention site. I am sure ACES could answer your questions on how Kenmore was involved (they helped to model the FSX Beaver and the FSX Goose), or you could visit Kenmore and ask them yourself. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

Guest fsxmissionguy

Quote: "I don't understand why they would do that, or how they could have any say in the matter."To produce a quality model, it helps if the manufacturer is cooperative (or so I'm told). Also, for it to be included in the actual game, Microsoft, I'm certain, requests permission ... and in the absence of it, won't include aircraft from that manufacturer.As for private individuals making models ... there's probably little that prevents one from doing so, although there could be copyright claims if you put logos on the aircraft, etc.

Funny at the Reno Air races the Bombardier/Learjet people proudly told me that Microsoft had sent considerable time photographing the interior of the new learjet for FSX. I wonder if there was a "lockout" deal with Bombardier. The learjet and CRJ are in FSX and the Citation and G5 are out. Kind of funny that the only longrange airliner in FSX is the 747. The 777 dropped out and the A321 came in.

Snowfalcon13 KRTS Reno, NV. The Valley of Speed/PMDG Beta Test Team

Windows 10 64 Pro/AMD Ryzen 3700X 8 core 3.5GHZ, ASUS ROG Strix B450-F, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO M2 Cdrive, 1TB SSD D Drive, P3D V4.5/P3D V5 HF2

32 GB  DDR 3200 RAM/Radeon RX 5700XT 8GB

Check out the Kenmore terminal at the north end of Lake Washington off of Route 522 (Bothell Way). You can get great views of landings there. It is just east of Tracy Owen Station Park.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

"...why Cessna itself hasn't done it yet - as part of their marketing campaign."Because it's sensible enough to know that the number of potential purchasers who are into FS is very small if not negligible and will put its marketing effort where it';s effective.