Sign in to follow this  
neilbradley1

Aircraft Crash, NYC

Looks like a Cirrus SR-20, NBC4 New York says it was registered to Yankees Pitcher Corey Lidle, and his passport was found in the street.Not a whole lot of room to maneuver around the East River there with the requirements.http://www.wnbc.com/news/10053779/detail.htmlSad day for Aviation and Yankees fans. ALso heard there was a medical center on the lower floors of the building.Joe

CryptoSonar on Twitch & YouTube. 

Guest AOA

HiHave to wonder what the #### a lowtime (75hr)pilot is doing around Manhatten on a marginal vfr day.Very sad though.Pete

Guest BOPrey

What's wrong with this plane? I did a search on the net a few weeks ago. It had so many accidents, a bad stall and spin characteristic. Comparing to the Columbia 400, it looks like a inferior design.

Guest Shalomar

Ironically; his Cirrus was equipped with a parachute able to lower the entire aircraft to the ground; but it didn't do him any good...Best Regards, Donny :-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

Guess we've got the first winner of the Thurman Munson trophy...at least they're keeping it in the Yankee franchise.Bob Scott

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I'm having trouble understanding this one-the cirrus sr20 has one of the best displays (situational awareness) of any aircraft and the reports say an instructor was onboard. If the engine failed, or even a control issue-I would think the parachute would have been deployed.Very strange....http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

What a plonker. Talks about how great the plane's chute system is and then flys low level in bad weather through Manhattan - with an instructor no less.In absense of all the facts, the situation still seems pretty idiotic.

There are many more situations where the BRS would not be deployed versus those situations where it would be used.This almost sounds like a CFIT issue or a case of both 'pilots' possibly fixating on a possible serious problem without anyone actually flying the plane.The SR is also a very slick a/c and hard to slow down. Maybe they ran out of room in the turn also while trying to dignose their problem.There's to many other variables that we may never know about this one folks.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

Guest BOPrey

We are going to have to wait a few months for the FAA report to come out. As there is no flight recorders, the real cause of the accident might not be unearthed.

Guest Water Mango

A chute is no good if you forget to use it...

"This almost sounds like a CFIT issue or a case of both 'pilots' possibly fixating on a possible serious problem without anyone actually flying the plane."I think you hit the nail on the head here Jeff. After the mayday was called about the fuel problem the plane pitched nose up and rolled to the left (typical stall). It fully rolled over and then nosed down heading toward the building. That alone most likely scared the heck out of them... If they were on top of it the plane wouldn't have stalled in the first place, they could have deployed the chute. Another option depending on altitude is they could have stair stepped it down. Either way an accident like this is almost impossible if both those guys were paying attention to everything around them. You can't get any safer than an aircraft with a parachute on board but you have to remember that option if you get in trouble.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

The chute also does no good if none of the occupants had the time nor realized they were going to need it. You have no clue as to what was happening in that aircraft. Things could have happened so fast that there wasn't time to make a decision as to whether or not to pull it, and given their altitude, even if they did have time to think about it, they may have thought they were too low and/or that by pulling it they would actually cause more harm and damage/injury to themselves or other property or people in an uncontrolled fall if they knew already they were in the midst of the buildings.Even in an engine out situation so long as a somewhat safe landing could be assured, even off field, I'd probably rather go that route, rather than risk even more damage to the A/C or possible injury using the BRS. I would like to think that if it were me, I'd rather use it if I had a loss of flight control more so then an engine out.The chute is not a magic solution when things go wrong. The situation has to be right and planning has to happen also, believe it or not. You may think you'd just pull that thing when the time came, but I bet you'd sure think about it long and hard before doing so. I suspect some pilots may actually not pull it at all out of some sort of fear that it may not set the aircraft down in the manner they want it.In any case, we may never know what was going on in the cockpit, nor what they were thinking about, nor who was flying at the time, etc., etc., etc.It's a sad tragedy, that's for sure.

Jeff D. Nielsen (KMCI)

https://www.twitch.tv/pilotskcx

https://discord.io/MaxDutyDay

10th Gen Intel Core i9 10900KF (10-Core, 20MB Cache, 3.7GHz to 5.3GHz w/Thermal Velocity Boost) | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X | 128GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz | 2TB M.2 PCIe SSD (Boot) + 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage) | Lunar Light chassis with High-Performance CPU/GPU Liquid Cooling and 1000W Power Supply

The chute, like ejection seats, has a definite window in which it is safe to use.A study I saw recently (AOPA?) of Cirrus accidents came to the conclusion that most people fight to save the aircraft until the bird is outside the envelope for deploying the chute.Part of the reluctance to deploy the chute was attributed to the knowledge that the aircraft would be a writeoff.The chute is extremely valuable for one situation - when a controlled forced landing is unavoidable - and there is no possible safe landing area. Fuel starvation, engine failure, control failure, etc.But the decision to use the chute must be made early. You can't work the problem down to 400 ft AGL and then expect the chute to deploy in time to save you.Has anyone heard how high the aircraft was before it's final plunge?The collision with the building would have been 330-400 ft AGL.