Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

FANTASTIC shader enhancement for water

Yes indeed a very good advise.Thanks Gert.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

A quick peruse of the differences between the 'improved' water20.fxh and the version on my system (Acceleration) shows that the 'improved' version references textures that are not defined, thus it would be impossible for it to create the files we're removing.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

>>Hi,>>>>Just a friendly advisory.. blindly deleting files without>>knowing if it could have bad concequences sounds like a bad>>idea to me. It's far better and safer to actually MOVE>>(back-up) files to a safe destination directory. Any add-ons>>MIGHT bring their own shaders too(when I look at the time>date>>stamps in my own directory, I suspect some do), and I'm not>>sure if they get rebuild correctly when they are deleted.>>Better to be safe than sorry, it's always possible to delete>>the back-up later when you're sure nothing went wrong..>>>>I haven't tried those new shaders myself yet but, I agree>that>>the pics look very interesting! I wonder though if they are>>"Acceleration/SP2" compatible, since SP2 seems to come with>>it's own set of new/modified shaders too..?>>>>>>Apart from some derailment, very interesting thread and>>modifing!>>>>Regards,>>>>Gert>>Thanks, but I'm not so foolish as to completely delete the>files, they were indeed moved to a separate folder.>>As for whether or not they're acceleration/sp2 compatible...>only ACES can respond on that one.>Hi,Reading back I can understand that you thought my first part of the reply was directed directly at you, but it wasn't.. sorry about that, I should have made my post more clear in regards to who and where it was directed to. It's just a general advise after reading the delete part in the top post, no more no less. I'm sure most people here are very experienced at tweaking and modifying and know perfectly well what to do in regards to safety backups etc, yet it's very possible that lesser experienced just follow the "guide lines" and blindly delete. In my experience it's very difficult to tell in RL face-to-face already how much experience one has in certain fields.. online makes it even more difficult. And if you know that I'm considered being an expert at reading people's minds, or at least squeeze it out of them.. well, go figure! hehe.. ;)Just to avoid confusion, for educating purposes and bad things to fall from roofs etc.. maybe the top post could be edited: "3) Delete the whole TERRAIN folder's content you'll find here:FOR XP users,Go to C:/Documents and Settings/YOUR NAME/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/FSX/Shaders/Terrain"to3) Backup and then Delete the whole TERRAIN folder's content you'll find here:FOR XP users,Go to C:/Documents and Settings/YOUR NAME/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/FSX/Shaders/Terrain"Regards,Gert

Hi, I normally only use water at 1x and I saw a great improvement out of LA with mega scenery and out of KLAG in NY with out mega scenery .Both are a vast improvement !!!TONY

Need to put a BIG note in the original post... this is NOT FSX Acceleration/SP2 compatible.I've gone through both files and they have very little in common, thus this update will not work if you have FSX Acceleration and/or SP2 installed. Yes, I know they're not available, yet... but this is important that people understand this only works with FSX prior to Acceleration/SP2.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

>I have just briefly scanned the thread, wondering how it will>play with DX10?Consider the post immediately before yours. Apparently it doesn't work with Acceleration/SP2 at the moment, and that DX10 is only available with Acceleration/SP2......the answer should then become self-evident. ;)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hats off Chris!And good luck for your work.It really looks great.Does Crysis have an open architecture for addons?Best wishes,David

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest cwright

David, many thanks for the encouragement! The Crysis demo including the editor comes out on Friday, so until then I only have experience of Far Cry. But all the signs are that Crysis is a huge advance. Yes, Far Cry/Crysis have an incredibly open architecture. Crytek released a set of excellent SDK's for Far Cry and, amazingly, they released the Crysis SDK to selected groups about a year ago (under NDA, of course). When Crysis is released in November, or soon after, there will already be a set of mods and add-ons. The editor gives you power that FS designers can only dream of. It is probably the most impressive piece of software I've used. For example, you can use the tools to 'sculpt' the terrain in real time. You can also import terrain data (I developed a tool for importing Shuttle radar data from NASA). After sculpting a hill, say, you could load a vehicle, hit CTRL-G to instantly enter real time game mode, climb into the vehicle and drive up to the top of your new hill! If I am developing an aircaft script, I would save the change, hit the RELOAD button and after a couple of seconds the aircraft is updated. I can then hit CTRL-G and instantly take off to test the changes. The game engine supports the concept of 'entities', which could be essentially any complex animated object such as a vehicle, animal, human, machine - or an aircraft. The entity's base level is C++ code (there is a C++ SDK) and the upper level is the LUA script. The entity can be modified either by C++ code or the script. I recently discovered that the LUA script is incredibly powerful and that entities can be created from scratch with just the script and, of course, the model. Hence the possibility of creating realistic aircraft without having to be a C++ programmer. I could go on for hours but the simple answer is: yes, Far Cry/Crysis is a dream come true for anyone interested in mods/add ons.Far Cry supports 3ds max and Maya, but Crysis may also support XSI. I've been using the max 9 30 day demo to create the aircaft, but I'm not sure whether I can justify buying max. If any aircraft designers out there using max might be interested in contributing.... I've also developed a Far Cry scenery program based on my AutoAsm program for FS. It can create complex scenery from a set of line/polygon bitmaps. The 'city' in the last shot was created automatically by the program.Meanwhile, here are a few shots. Remember that the aircraft models and scenery are nothing special - the priority was to prove that it's possible. I wrote the flight models in LUA and they work surprisingly well. I've no doubt that skilled modellers could create some fantastic aircraft, and fairly complex aircraft systems could be modelled, too.http://www.kline.demon.co.uk/FC001.jpghttp://www.kline.demon.co.uk/FC004.jpgStarting her up....http://www.kline.demon.co.uk/FC009.jpghttp://www.kline.demon.co.uk/FC012.jpgBy the way, this is obviously somewhat off-topic, so I wonder if there is a forum that might be suitable to continue this? I'm sure other people might be intrigued by the idea of a do-it-yourself flight simulator. In the past it would require a huge amount of programming, but the new generation of very powerful game engines makes it feasible. Best regards, Chris

I'm interested in this. Can you email me at johnc5 at iinet dot net dot au

Guest griss0m

excellent work mate!please keep us here updated of your work, it`s great to see some aircraft fyling around in farcry!i can only imagine what crysis can offer. great stuff!!!

According to Geofa's observation, the shader replacement water doesn't work with Acceleration/SP2

Best regards,
David Roch

>According to Geofa's observation, the shader replacement>water doesn't work with Acceleration/SP2 LOL... whom???

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

:--))))))))))Sorry Ed, I didn't see your post!Information taken from this thread:http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...id=419496&page=

Best regards,
David Roch