Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

FANTASTIC shader enhancement for water

Guest jase439

I've attached it for you. The original author abandoned the work, but a couple guys at simviation.com picked it up and fixed the problem(s). Hats off to them.Copy the contents of this file to ShadersHLSLTerrainWater20.fxh

Hi... I'm a computer novice here ... I found Water20.fxh file. I had this working and had to disable it when teh incompatability showed up. How do I copy the contents of that text file to the .fxh file?Forgive my ignorance. Thanks,Steve

Hi Steve,Just open it with Notepad.That's all

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest cbuchner1

Great.Now all we need is an automated installer for the two water variants (RTM/SP1 or SP2 auto-detection) with a roll-back to default option.And maybe a few knobs to tweak some settings (fresnel constants etc).Any takers? ;-)Christian

Guest Mike707

I opened the Water20.fxh file with notepad, but when I tried to save, I got a dialog box that stated,"Cannot create the C:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesMicrosoft Flight Simulator XShaders HLSLTerrainWater20.fxh file.Make sure that the path and file name are correct."Can someone please inform me as to how I should copy the contents of the file provided by jase into the Water20.fxh file?Thanks all.

Hi Mike,1) Copy Water20.fxh on your desktop, make the change, save it. 2) Backup your original file by renaming it Water20 OLD.fxh3) Move the new file from the desktop into the Terrain folderThat should be OK

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest Desert Flyer

>Wonderful scenery BTW :--)>>Yes, I've already warned people about the non-compatibility of>this file with SP2, it's always nice to reminding it.>Best regards,>DavidWoops, my bad, I totally missed that warning. Hopefully I can get back the files without reinstalling everything. Is there a warning on the original post in this thread? Since it has the instructions there you might want to edit that post and stick the warning in there. Or maybe it is in there and I just breezed over it like usual.

Gentlemen,Have you actually had any success with this new Water20.fxh file in SP2? If so, could you please tell me if I am missing a step somewhere.I have modified the Water20.fxh file as directed, and even followed the original SP1 directions of clearing out the c:/documents and settings/YOURNAME/Local Settings/Application Data/Microsoft/FSX/Shaders/Terrain directory (I am using XP).When I start up FSX however, I am still seeing the usual SP2 water effects without any change.Just for a reality check, I have also tried using Ingvaar's original pre-SP2 Water20.fxh file and found that it is still causing the same SP2 issues that it always caused.For what it is worth I am using the Acceleration version of SP2. Thanks,Dave :-wave

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11

Hi,After a side by side comparison, it appears to me that the text file jase provided is the same as the unmodified SP2 water20.fxh file (which would explain why I am not seeing any changes in FSX).I did a search over at Simviation and couldn't find any more information about this latest modified shader. Does anybody have a link?Thanks,Dave

David Webster

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 3600Mhz | EVGA RTX 3080 Ti @ 3440X1440 | Crucial 2TB M.2 | Win11

Hi Dave,You are right and I am also interested in finding the latest file.I am sure someone will help us!Regards,

Best regards,
David Roch

Guest jase439

Here's the thread. They seem to believe it's different. Sorry, I didn't bother to diff them - it just seemed to fix the badness with the water, so I assumed it worked. I fail to see the point in reposting the original Microsoft file - which is a bit retarded.Perhaps you should inquire with a post there: http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya...m=1194498259/15

Ah yes... I participated in that thread.NickN was posting a copy of the actual SP2 Water20.fxh file so that Str1ker (who did not have a copy of SP2) could try it out before releasing a program that he was working on to modify Ingvaar's original Water20.fxh file. Str1ker was going to attempt to modify the SP2 file to work like Ingvaar's SP1 version, but he never managed to figure it out.Oh well... maybe someone else will figure it out. :(Thanks for the heads-up anyway.Dave

David Webster

>

How long will we compare oranges and>apples?????
>>As long as it continues to irritate you!;-) Lennyt, It's folks like you who care not to make a contribution that ARE NOT needed in this or any other forum. If it's your idea of fun to post just to aggravate someone then perhaps you should take your comments elsewhere. Sincerely, Craig

Thanks Craig.I didn't want to react to this kind of childish provocation because it's exactly what this kind of guy is expecting.Anyway, it was one of his last "contribution" to this forum, his mum probably took him to the park to breathe some fresh air :--)

Best regards,
David Roch