Sign in to follow this  
Mace

FS a classic over 25 years

No, the beta testers are reporting the game is already performing good on Directx9/XP.http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?p=4914003My system:Intel Pentium D 3.4Ghz, 2x2mb cacheKingston RAM 1x2Gb, 800MhzNvidia 7900GS 512MB, Core clock 600Mhz, Memory clock 800MhzWindowsXp (sp2)All drivers are up to date------------------------I run the game with 1024x768 and all settings to max with no AA. Surprisingly the game run very smooth, I think the fps are between 30-40.

Guest fsxmissionguy

Quote:"As soon as "Crysis" comes complete, with worldwide navigational, airport, and topographical mesh data-bases; as well as the ability to use my favorite aircraft ..."I think this is a really, really basic point.The environment of Crysis looks spectacular, as anyone can readily see - and as a demonstration of what can be achieved with DX10, its out of this world. But it is what it is, and it isn't what it isn't.It is not a realistic portrayal of the planet Earth (which is what MSFS is). It's an artificial and repeating simulated landscape ... albeit a stunning one.And, it is not able to simulate flight, which for me is pretty much one of the essential requirements of a flight simulator.Programming Crysis to be a flight simulator would not work (my view) because doing so would mean removing all of the things that make the natural environment in Crysis look so beautiful.

I've flown flight simulators even before the Sublogic days and have purchased and flown every version of Microsoft Flight Simulator including FSX. Granted, there are some shortcomings in FSX (Sunshine Skyway missing for one), but I have never seen a perfect program.Each version has been technologically above the previous version and I have enjoyed each. Having flown in real life for the past 40 years, I fly the keyboard to keep sharp on procedures.Take Flight Simulator, whatever version, for what it is. It is a simulator that costs less than a tank of fuel in a Cessna 172 yet it offers us many different aircraft, the entire world, and the ability to practice or fly any situation we desire without the risk or expense of real flight.I for one would like to commend and thank all the persons involved in the continued development of this software and intend to keep purchasing new versions as long as they are produced.My advice - If you don't like it, leave it. If you do, and have the experience, help your fellow simmers, else partake of what is offered and enjoy others hard work. All the shots at simmers and Microsoft aren't helping anyone.Thanks Phil and Aces for what you do.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

> I asked the question the other day-are you related to>Wingnut? >>Because he was removed from avsim..There are three registered "wingnut" users:Wingnutwingnut1wingnut2Coincidence?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest TomOOO

Oh dear not again with trying to compare FPshooter with flightsimulation. Here are some more additions to comments...1) The typical view in FS involves sight of some 60 miles in alldirections, this requires some 1000 square miles of textures withthe necessary MIP mapping and AF control. This is some orders ofmagnitude greater computer/disk/FSB requirements2) The mesh is unique for the entire world - I use 76 meter (which issome 20Gb), The landclass is unique for the world, the textures arenot unique, but depending on quality the number of textures isvery high.3) Traffic requires a radius of some 110 miles to know what to do with planes that fly away from your current point of view.4) Clouds consist of a lot of textures with translucent display, nota lot of cloud structure in that game that was given as an example. Also, the average FPshooter cannot walk through the cloud so anythat are drawn are just painted as a backdrop. (Fogging effects are standard library calls for directX and OpenGL so these arejust dealt with a very simplified texture scaling)5) Planes move much faster requiring significantly higher framerates for useful use. My son uses Oblivian, and seams to use ithappily with fps of something like 5 fps without too much complaint6) The buildings are 3D objects with textures painted on on all games,but it comes down to the problem that FS requires a lot more of themin one view, and the number of trees is huge in the 1000 square miles of view.So you cannot compare FPshooter games which are not set in realenvironment - and based on the ground, with FS. The extent of thedata is massive in FS - I have some 50Gb of FS with 200,000 filesnow. Lots of this has to be loaded and rendered in real time.Tom

Guest jshyluk

To bring things back on track...The FSHistory website that was cited at the top of the thread is run by a gentleman named Jos Grupping. Despite that the last "News" is from 2006, and the last entry is from 2005, he keeps a close watch on the site. I think it's a tremendous archive of information relating to the old MSFS. I've used it many times in my reviews, with Mr. Grupping's blessing (although he wishes to make sure that credit is given where credit is due -- he and his crew are the ones doing all of the hard research, I am just someone passing it on!). If you have specific questions or comments about the history of MSFS, you can contact him and ask them yourself.Mr. Grupping has suggested to me that he will update his site to include the most recent events concerning MSFS, but even if he doesn't, it's an amazing collection of facts, pictures, and video that does very well to document the history of one of my favourite hobbies.Jeff Shyluk,Senior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

Wingnut1 and Wingnut2 are both the same person from Australia. John (Wingnut 1 AND 2), wingnut2 is now shut down and you need to explain to me via email why you felt the necessity to open two accounts in explicit violation of our policies - please do it soon or you will find Wingnut1 shut down too. Wingnut is a different account entirely.

Thank you, Tom. You have finally convinced me that locking my framerates at 20 in a vain attempt to get the textures to load on time is actually quite enjoyable. I also like having to delve into the config files changing all sorts of numbers so, yet again in vain, I can try to get textures to load on time. I also now realize that while playing an FPS outputs 1920x1200 regular pixels onto my screen, FSX outputs 1920x1200 super-mega-awesome-deluxe pixels that are really special and require intense computing processing power, because you know, they're special and all.

Guest Simpit

Just an FYI, not wanting to be caught in the crossfire or to compare apples to oranges, but there are hang-gliders in Far Cry - at least there were when I played it. I see no reason they couldn't be in Crysis.But that is secondary to the rest of the arguments going on...Carry on!Simpit

I can guarantee "wingnut" and "wingnut2" are not me. It must be a coincidence. If you check the IP addresses you will see that.