Sign in to follow this  
Chalkman

Acceleration out today or tomorrow?

>I appreciate that post. Thanks.>>You know, the occasional apology from someone whose passion>overwhelmed them and made a quick post they regret would go>far. >>Fortunately there are others here who do that for them. Thanks>again.Yep, #pastopilot# said it all for me too Phil.My only contribution/addition to #pastorpilot's# post to you is:-The majority of us here in the AVSIM forum, are fully aware of all the help and very valuable contributions you make to our hobby.To loose you from AVSIM would be a dreadful tragedy.I know it's all too easy to say sometimes, but please ignore the loose tongued anarchists that infiltrate us here from time to time.

I beleive this thread brings a great deal of understanding.From my view Phil, you blur the line between personal and professional, and to me thats pretty darn cool. :)

>Merchandise distrubution is pretty amazing, there was>something on air cargo on one of the science channels and it's>mind boggling how quickly something can go around the world>from factory to store front.Next time that show about air cargo ops comes on, let me know!That would really be neat to see how Fedex/UPS/DHL etc. do things.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Guest weeniemcween

Don't knock me for being an amateur psychologist,But I think part of the cause of aggression here is the white and very text-oriented forum format. It's too serious-here are my ideas, read them!Anyone agree?By the way, Phil = star

Guest tmilton

>Its about mutual respect. And about having an atmosphere of>the same. Absolutely correct. I too was dismayed to see someone post a tantrum over the issue of just one day. Unbelievable. As if the end of the world has occurred if a purchase was delayed by a mere 24 hours. With an extremely passionate customer, there is potential good and bad. On the good side, they see your product as important and can be loyal. On the bad side, some can take this to an extreme and have difficulty separating perceived flaws and perceived unmet expectations from real damage in their lives. This can result in unreasonably exaggerated responses completely out of proportion to any actual harm inflicted on these individuals.The majority of users here know how to debate in a congenial manner, but yes, there are always a few bad apples out there. Avsim is the premier flight sim website out there, and has the largest user base, so you will see more of any type of user here, both the good and the bad. It's simply numbers and not anything about this site that has led you to unfortunately experience a few more negative users.In my opinion, Avsim is unrivaled in its available resources for the avid simmer. This is the most important site where we simmers gather to discuss and get our information. Phil, most of us do value and appreciate your input and your discussions with us, and we hope you will continue.

Guest jrobert

Phil,To back you up, I too don't think you've ever said 10/23; I've been reading your posts and blogs quite regularly. The confusion I think is that everyone who visited http://www.fsinsider.com saw a release date of 10/23 for the Acceleration expansion pack. To paraphrase, I believe it said: "in stores October 23rd." I think they took that as a definitive date set in stone.

Guest Shalomar

I fully intend to purchase Acceleration; but I also intend to wait till around Christmas when SP2 is released for everyone. Those who buy Acceleration can only join in SP2 sessions- for instance I would not be able to join FS-MP sessions according to an e-mail from them.So it seems like there will be a split in the multiplayer community for a while...Phil, I am one of the silent ones who is satisfied with FSX and stays out of the brouhaha. I am in the middle of updating my rig but still enjoy it as it is. I wasn't around for the "liar" or hangman's noose posts but I would have been sure to send an alert.Keep up the good work...:-beerchugDonald T.FLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

Guest Lith1um

Let me clear something up, Acceleration was listed on Gamestop as "ships on the 23d". Guess what, I preordered and my copy shipped on the 23. Today is the 24th, and my copy is on the ups truck to my house as we speak. It shipped EXACTLY when it was supposed to.When major retailers buy game stock they spend the extra money to ensure that AAA titles arrive on the release day. Sims are very rarely considered AAA titles by major retailers, so they don't expidite their shipping method in the same way. Sims are just a low margin business compared to shooters, they sell mere fractions of what a AAA shooter does. By preordering the sim I have expidited it's shipping myself because I knew the retailers wouldn't spend the money doing so.Secondly, I have no problem with this being/becoming a "pro FSX" or "pro Microsoft" forum. I come here to find usefull information and positive discussions. I am beyond tired of the same people beating the same dead horses into the ground. That doesn't mean we can't debate negative aspects that have merit. But I really, really think some people stand wayyyyy to close to FSX. It's almost like their lives revolve around FSX and being miserable in this forum. I'm tired of seeing the same negative subjects creep into every thread. Imo we don't need 100 threads about who sucks and why.This situation with ACES is really heartbreaking. Very few game houses take time to directly relay information the way ACES has, let alone the two way dialog that has been established by Phil. It kills me that their are people who would beat the messenger and place that relationship in jeopardy. I have a great deal of respect for Phil and he has never lied to us, or been anything less than honest and forthcoming. I am beyond greatful for the relationship he has offered to us.I think it's time to swing the ban hammer, and swing it mightily. Many times in the last month (and not just here) I have been suprised by the mentality of people discussing FSX. I had no idea that so many people were so ignorant (unlearned) about the game industry, the way simulations and/or computer "games" function, or how to relate their grievances in a thoughtful, friendly manner.But I guess that's to be expected. Anyone can buy a sim, anyone can buy a computer. You don't have to be thoughtful or intelligent. You don't have to have a real life, you can devote your every waking moment towards being dissappointed with FSX.

I think the date actually came from retail outlets to be honest.Build ups and expectations are a part of fandom. Personally attacking, and holding one man responsible for things outside of his control are indeed unreasonable.Feature slips and other product shortcomings, those perhaps are another issue. In any case, constraints are constraints and a fact of life and doing busines in this life.Most, including myself, will agree with the "Gee, look at how much we've gotten out of flightsim for 25 years" posts that are floating around. But fans are escaping from life's everyday troubles with this sim/game. Hobbies are notoriously touchy subjects in some cultures and people build up superhuman expectations. For some of us, this stuff is our "junk," our "crank" and what we are addicted to. Addicts are never pleasant people to be around.Is this fair to the good-natured and hard-working mortals who are ACES and Microsoft? No, it is not.However, it is easy for people to immortalize a person like Phil Taylor and Mike Gilbert as they are the leaders and spokesperson for a fan(atic)'s "fix."None of this excuses poor behavior, but there is usually a rationale behind irrational behavior unless a person is truly suffering from psychological irregularity. People who are strongly attracted to the hobby end up at places like AVSIM and thus, you'll get the cross-section of the population here: the good, the bad, the crazy.So, when I say things like: "it's not a big deal, but it is too" I mean that in the sense that, cosmically, it isn't a big deal, but in some people's lives their very being and existence rides on hitting this next "fix." Why do you think the add-on industry has any success? People are hooked and run about buying any enhancement possible - you see this with other hobbies too.An expectation has surfaced and many people strongly believed the 10/23 date. Again, I think it surfaced from retailers, who sometimes estimate. Whereas software release dates can be fuzzy, music and movies and usually a bit closer to predictions.In closing, remember that any leader is going to have a tough time when he is leading a project which is the source of a fan(atic)'s fantasy and pleasure. The interaction with the public is great and I believe this interaction is going to make a better product and a better fan(atic). There will be (it seems) growing pains associated with this as we've only recently (in the context of 25 years) been doing this public interaction thing. For far many more years than that, the fan(atic) public has only been able to speculate and ruminate about what's going on behind the closed doors of the development studio.It is good for Phil to stand up and demand respect, crazed fans need to be brought back to planet earth. In any case, the majority of them will be back next time (and next time and the time after that) to continue to get their fix. Don't worry, once the "junk" hits their system, they'll be floating in la la land. That is, until some quirk or bugaboo in the program hits their craw the wrong way, then they'll be back to squawk like a baby vulture. That's the way of fan(atic)dom.J-

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

>I didn't see people jumping all over wingnut when he threw the>hangman's noose at me. I didnt see any repudiation of that,Phil,IMO, The reason you didn't see any strong repudiation, for some of the moronic statement made by a few ill mannered posters is that once it starts, it usually ends up on a personal level and the moderators have to step in and break up the fight.I think if you go back and check, you will see that there IS repudiation and there are lots of posters who defend Aces and you personally! I don't blame you for getting upset, but to be truthful I didn't see the "noose" or even bother to read posts by the likes of wingnut or wingnut1.So please consider the source, when taking offense! Pete S.

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

Guest firehawk44

"I think the date actually came from retail outlets to be honest."I got my release date info from the FS Insider website (http://www.fsinsider.com/Pages/default.aspx) which states it will be on the store shelves on the 23d. That's why I drove to 5 different stores yesterday looking for it. I suspect that's why others anticipated receiving the software on the 23rd. Not a big deal for me. I decided to order it from the Internet and it should arrive sometime next week. As I have stated many times in past posts, I certainly appreciate the support Phil Taylor and all the members of Aces, and their supporting contractors, have provided the FS Community and hope the relationship continues forever.Best regards,Jim

Jim,You are right, I just mentioned the source of the 10/23 date coming from fsinsider.com in a post I made in the "Circuit City $17.99" thread.So, yeah, I can see why you'd drive to 5 different stores. When October 17th was the street date for FSX, people certainly did have to wait until that day as the stock was sitting in the back room in many cases.The track record so far for FSX has been:1 release date accidentally broken early due to retailer error1 release date slipping due to "who knows."The take-away lesson is to have skepticism on the veracity of these dates. I too have ordered it online and it'll get here when the brown van drives up.Jeff

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Phil,When I think back to all the varying types and degrees of critizism you've taken since you came on board over a year ago I have to say that I beleive you are completely justified in "pushing back". You have always been very forthcoming with information and I agree that in the overall scheme of things, a computer game/simulation ranks pretty low.I hereby nominate you for the 'Toughest Hide' award for 2007. You may pick up your prize on the 30th......I think.:-)

Best Buy's site lists it as available at most stores. Of course when I look it up at any of the stores near me it says "Unavailable" Lol.