Sign in to follow this  
kparrish1

The FSX SP2/Acceleration incompatibilities thread

Glenn,I never had performance problems, nor did I notice any bugs that bothered me in SP1. But I certainly notice when I cannot use add-on aircraft in DirectX 10 with Acceleration. I could care less about the new content. I'd rather not have my hangar cluttered up with aircraft I will never use. (F-18, the Augusta, the P-51, etc.) I never fly ANY default aircraft. Maybe the Baron on rare occasion. There is no benefit for me to have Acceleration right now when I was perfect with SP1. Serves me right for buying and trying something new (DirectX 10 support) in hopes of improvement!Scott

But did you really expect aircraft designed in FS9 or FSX RTM / SP1 to work in DX10 mode??DX10 is totally different animal with the new code / shaders etc.Do the addons you mention work in SP2 DX9?? If they do, what's the problem? If not, ask the developer to patch it for SP2 DX9 as this will be the defacto standard for the rest of FSX's lifetime. I would think any addon developed for FSX will be patched for DX9 SP2. FS9 models, well maybe not. You have had your $ worth already for FS9 addons. I'm sure a lot of addons will also eventually be patched for the DX10 preview, but it may take a while.I dont understand what people expect here. You can't move forward without change. Folks, get used to it. FS11 will more than likely do away with backwards compatability totally. Consider the SP2 DX10 preview just that.....a preview.

>>Is this the Do-27 X or the older Do-27 for FS9?>Sorry, the Do-27 X of course. The front window, and so far i see everything else, is fine.Heiko

Guest moogman

I think this is the worst investment I have made since Enron. Nowhere in the product information does it tell you that is going to trash every addon plane on my computer. And that is exactly what it has done. Aside from the facts that it destroys other software, the best you can say for the other "improvements" is cute. That's it, and its not much of a trade. To trash all the stuff I have bought for the sim in exchange for cute. Hope there is a way I can get this disaster uninstalled from my computer without having to wipe the whole thing and reinstall FS X (sans SP2/Degeneration) and then reinstall all of my stuff to recover the $$$ I have spent on all those planes.I suppose any hope for getting a refund for this FS X shredder I just bought is going to be out of the question.Jeff

I thought maybe it would be a good idea to have a running list in this thread so we can keep tabs on current payware/freeware that we can use to help identify these issues. So far this is what I've got:FSX Acceleration compatibility issues:Payware Aircraft:Carenado T34b Mentor - VC cockpit display issuesCarenado 206 - Reported issueDigital Aviation Do-27 X - Reported IssuesPayware Misc:UTX - patched for Acceleration see update here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=23111FS Genesis - Reported Issue (Chopper mission)Freeware aircraft:FS9 ported over aircraft various issuesFreeware MiscEnhanced Water for FSX by IngvarrAlso maybe we could list the add-ons that we have that we have tested that seem to work ok. That way we can keep track, as this issue is going to be hard to keep with as we go. Like Xgraphics for example.

Guest JIMJAM

I need to use my keyboard to activate the in flight menu.If I click it, I get a nasty freeze requiring reboot or at best ctd.I needed to delete Flight ones scenery maker.When I originally loaded accel, it ask if I wanted to load it. If yes, then the sim never ran.My water textures are terrible. Swirls and odd colors that will cause instant vertigo especially over the ocean.Running xgraphics and FEX before without all this mess.Im going to sit tight for a few days then decide on de-accelerating FSX.

Yes, they work with SP2 DirectX 9. But I got Acceleration to take advantage of 10. They touted DirectX 10 as better in a number of ways. I read where people had tested some add-ons in DirectX 10 and noted no incompatibility. Obviously, they can't test everything. That was some form of encouragement, though. The bottom line is that running SP2 in DirectX 9 provides nothing more (to me) that is worth the installation to begin with....at least not until payware developers update products for DirectX 10.DirectX 10 doesn't even look much better to me with the default aircraft. I'm not accusing Aces of anything wrong or complaining. Essentially: 1) Yes, Acceleration allows default aircraft to work flawlessly in DirectX 10 with a slight performance increase and improved rendering. 2) Yes, my own personal add-ons seem to work in DirectX 9 SP2 with no performance increase.3) Yes, Acceleration does not merit installation if you are hoping to run FSX using DirectX 10 while flying add-on aircraft at this time.I'm just voicing my observations to those who might be weighing out their options and considering purchasing Acceleration. I had DirectX 9 before and had zero problems without Acceleration, so I'm choosing to remove Acceleration and all the content that I won't use that came with it.If you don't want the content, you need to wait for developer fixes and the free Microsoft FSX DirectX 10 patch in December. Period.

Guest boxel27

After installing Acceleration I was having the "solid white outside" problem under the directX 10 preview option too. I was also having problems with the panel loading on the Level-D 767. But all i did was a fresh install of the latest FSUIPC and evrything is working now. you can get it here. http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.htmlNathan

But Phil clearly stated in his blog that DX10 is only a 'preview' and that he fully expected developers to continue to develop for the DX9 path in the most part.You cannot expect addon aircraft to take advantage of DX10 features or be made DX10 compatible without some time to make the pathces available, that's just silly.When FSX came out did you expect all of the FS9 addon aircraft to work without some kind of patch? Did you expect the patch to be out and available the same day you purchased FSX? We are still waiting for some FS9 aircraft to be patched for FSX a year later! Expecting addons to be DX10 ready the same day SP2/Acceleration ships is unrealistic expectations taken to the max. Use SP2 in DX9 mode until your addons are DX10 patched and be happy. You may also consider, that in light of Phils comments regarding devs mainly sticking to the DX9 path, some of the addons may never get patched to DX10.I think Lou Betti from Dreamfleet said it best (can't recall where) after Phils DX10 blog post hit when he said that 'you have to consider if DX10 is worth it to you'For me, VC cockpit shadows and bloom performance enhancements aren't enough to warrant spending good money on Vista and a DX10 GPU.Phils blog clearly set out what DX10 would bring to the FSX table. If I had purchased vista and DX10 hadware before this blog article I would be upset too. These are the risks in becoming an early adopter in the tech / PC / software world.Glenn

Yes, Glenn. I purchased all of my rig's hardware prior to Phil's articles. I purchased it with the idea that I would be safe for all DX 9 stuff and I'd be good for the upcoming DX 10. It is disappointing now, I can assure you.And yes, I was under the impression that there shouldn't be a problem with add-on aircraft working within the same sim, ragardless of the DX version. Seems a bit pointless to even offer DX 10 for FSX after seeing it for myself, especially considering it affects certain aspects of payware add-ons.My personal opinion is that all this DX 10 mess is just a complete disaster. My rig runs the heck out of everything and even runs FSX decently with DX 9. But having all this add-on headache is just no fun. I'm just gonna forget DX 10 until I am given a reason to use it.

Other tools like older FSDS versions ( 2.24 ) can also have issues. We have worked through this with one 3rd party and they successfully fixed their issue within the same version of FSDS ( yes, they didnt need to move to FSDS 3.5 ).I also got permission to distribute the technique they used, here it is before I blog about it:Restoring virtual cockpit appearance and external light disks after installation of FSX Acceleration/SP2Concerns only designs made with FSDS2.24 compiled with " SCASM " which previously worked satisfactorily on FSX+SP1------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------PROBLEM: WHEN ADDING THE " ACCELERATION " FILES, the following effects appear;111 - SOME TRANSPARENCY, mainly on Virtual ####

Guest dswo

I'm enjoying Acceleration so far. I like the new helicopter, and I seem to be seeing sharper ground textures (hard to say for sure after only a few hours).Here are the incompatibilities I've noticed:1. Rear windows of Digital Aviation Do-27 are opaque. Front window is normal.2. Instrument panel of Digital Aviation Katana is now polished chrome and corner extends up into windscreen.3. Flight Replicas Me 109G has opaque prop disc in VC.4. Lionheart Gigant (from "Operation Valkyrie" package) has chrome instrument panel like Katana.A few planes that I've tested and seem fine so far:1. Aerosoft Beaver2. Wings of Power Spitfire3. Wings of Power Me 109E4. Lionheart Bestmann (from "Operation Valkyrie")EDIT: Above are with DX9, WinXP Pro (SP2), Nvidia 7600GS (512Mb), E6600 (2.4GHz), 2 Gb RAMI expect that payware developers will issue replacement textures. For freeware, I encourage those of you who find solutions -- especially when they involve redoing textures -- to make your fixes available in the file library. We can get through this!

>>So far I found the T34-B Mentor aircraft from Carenado not to>work right in SP2. The cockpit panel in the Virtual Cockpit is>all gooey grey. Probably a victim of dropping some backwards>compatibility.>>If anyone knows how to fix this beautiful payware for SP2, let>me know.>>Any other incompatibilities found? Report them here.>Hi. Does this occur if you run in the DX9 configuration? I want to install it and run in DX9 but will wait until I hear if the T-34 and all the other problems will be gone if I run in DX9. I sent Carenado an e-mail and got a reply that I don't understand. They did not offer and real assistance. Thanks, regards, Bob.

When you check/uncheck the DX10 Preview box, you need to exit and restart FSX to change from DX10-DX9 or vice versa.Once you re-exit and re-start, does that not revert you?

Guest Lith1um

Wings of Power II: WWII FIGHTERS special editionDX9 mode appears to function well.In DX10 mode all of the aircraft are fine except the P-51D, the P47-D, and the A6M Zero, which all have missing textures.As per Phil's posts I fully expected this. No big deal to me, I'm sure the recompiled textures will be released by Shockwave soon enough.