Sign in to follow this  
Guest The Wizard of Oz

Not much hair left - help!

Dear Community,My Brother-in-law recently upgraded his PC to the following specs:AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+ Dual Core CPUAsus A8N-SLi SE Motherboard3Gb DDR 400 RAM (In Dual Channel config)ASUS branded NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT Graphics Card with 512Mb RAMSoundblaster Audigy Sound CardANTEC 500w Power SupplySeagate Barracuda 80Gb SATA HDD, dedicated to FSXBefore I start with the problem, let me state that the above Motherboard, System RAM and CPU were core components of MY own system, until I passed them onto him when I upgraded. They worked fine with FSX.A fresh install of Windows XP (32-bit) was carried out, along with all latest motherboard/sound/cpu/graphics drivers, downloaded on the day from the respected manufacturers websites. FSX was purchased new, and came sealed. This was installed, and activated. VS C++ 2005 SP1 redist and FSX SP1 were then installed, before any add-ons were. The following add-ons were then installed:FSUIPC 4.1.6.0 (Registered)Traffic2005 with correct patches/service packs for FSX (instructions on their website followed to the letter).Flight1 ATR-72-500 (full FSX package installed, not upgraded from FS9).FeelThere 737 PIC (installed using their FSX package from website)JDT Radar Contact (again instructions on their website followed to the letter).Active Sky X with X Graphics (updated to their SP1 release)OK, to the problem. FSX will run OK for a short while. Then, without warning, the next time you come to start FSX, a dialog will pop up saying "Flight Simulator was unable to load some program files and will now exit. Please reinstall Flight Simulator to restore or repair the program installation." Sometimes a reboot of the computer will cure the problem, sometimes not. Interestingly, a re-install of the Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redist files will make the problem go away for a while, and when the problem does return, another reinstall (of the VS C++ 2005) will get him going again, for a while, ad infinitum.A repair has been performed on the FSX installation, with FSX SP1 being re-installed afterwards. No change - the problem re-appears after a short while.A fresh install of FSX, making sure all old config and other files were gone, has been performed. No change - the problem re-appears after a short while.N.B - "A short while" can mean hours or days.P.S. I don't think this is part of the famous 'corrupt logbook' problem, but I may be wrong.We're both tearing our hair out - he has gone back to FS9 for the time being (who can blame him with all this grief?). The system is not overclocked in any way. When FSX does behave itself, it's very smooth, with good FPS - mostly. See below.There are a couple of other problems, probably better to be posted on the add-ons respective forums, but I'll post here for the FSX community at large, to see if they have any pointers.1. FPS around Bristol Airport (EGGD) (UK2000 Bristol Xtreme Scenery) is poor, with stuttering. This is probably going to have to be a play around with the scenery/autogen settings, but wanted to throw out to the community at large2. The Flight 1 ATR is misbehaving. The overhead panel in VC will sometimes let you click the switches, and somtimes it won't, it just depends on the mood it's in at the time. Also, upon landing, the moment the tires touch the runway, FSX will either CTD, or freeze the computer, requiring a power off at the wall socket to unfreeze. Initially, this was blamed on Active Sky X, but the temporary patch from Flight 1's ATR forums was installed, with no change.Whew, sorry for the long-winded post, but wanted to be sure as much detail as possible was provided, so hopefully we can work the problems out.Help please?!? Carl aka FlilotUK

My suggestion would be to take off the add-ons off and start with only FSX and go from there. I was having problems with low frame rates and after putting on FSX fresh and no add ons I was able to run all setings fully to the right and it ran smooth. I did note after installing UTX it slowed it down, same with FlightDeck 4.... Here is my system Specs:HP m1050y (Media Center PC)It has MCE2005 which is supposed to be Core Windows XP Pro, I have 1 GB DDR2 Mem, Graphics card is XFX Geforce 7300gt, and I have FSX installed on a Beyond Micro USB 250gb HD which is 7200 RPM.After you go back to fresh install of FSX create a restore point before each install of add on and make special notes of where your problems start, that is what I did...Happy Flying!

Thanks for the suggestion. A clean install of FSX was tried, with no add-ons and SP1 installed. The "Flight Simulator cannot load..." msg still cropped up.

Guest firehawk44

I would suggest looking at your event viewer for any application errors. Sometimes it will show the modular that caused the problem. I recommend checking out the following thread, currently on the first page of the Crash to Desktop forum: "msvcr80.dll crash after SP1". That long thread may provide some solutions to your problem(s). In regards to the Flight1 ATR 72-500 misbehaving - it sounds like you are having or nearly having OOM (out of memory) problems. Suggest lowering some of your sliders, especially the scenery radius slider to medium (if you have them max'd out) and turn off Autogen. If you had a CTD, again suggest looking at the System Event Viewer and see if there are any hints as to what caused the crash.Best regards,Jim

EventViewer is indeed a great tool. I just recovered from a problem with BitDefender anti-virus program. I was getting random 'stopped working' errors loading programs along with other unrelated problems. EventViewer pointed to a .dll used by BitDefender so I removed it and all my problems vanised; Voil

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

I doubt this is an OOM problem, though I may be wrong of course. The reason I say this, is because I was running the same system (albeit different Videocard - Geforce 7900GTO/512Mb and Power Supply - 480w), with the ATR, with none of the problems he is experiencing. This is why it's so bizzare. He's running essentially the SAME system I had, with the SAME ATR install file used.Error messages reported in the event viewer are:Source: SideBySideCategory: NoneEvent ID: 32Dependent Assembly Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.Source: SideBySideCategory: NoneEvent ID: 59Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.FlightSimulator.SimConnect . Reference error message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.Source: SideBySideCategory: NoneEvent ID: 59Generate Activation Context failed for X:Microsoft Flight Simulator XModulesFSUIPC4.dll. Reference error message: The operation completed successfully.These are wierd errors in themselves, as both SimConnect and FSUIPC are installed correctly. Looking on my own system, I get these errors listed in Event Viewer too! However, they do not cause any grief when I fly the ATR, or with FSX in general.

Guest firehawk44

"These are wierd errors in themselves, as both SimConnect and FSUIPC are installed correctly. Looking on my own system, I get these errors listed in Event Viewer too! However, they do not cause any grief when I fly the ATR, or with FSX in general."I have the ATR installed too and don't receive any of those references to SimConnect in my Event Viewer. I do receive the FSUIPC4 error message but it does not cause a crash. I assume there's a problem in my dll.xml. Not causing a crash so not concerned. Hope you took a look at the long thread I referenced over in the CTD forum even though that particular module didn't show up in the Event Viewer.I have a super powerful system (Dell XPS 720H2C) and found FSX runs smoothly for me if I turn off autogen and set my FPS limit to 50. I found the scenery radius slider (the one on top under the scenery tab) is a memory and frame killer if max'd out and I keep mine max'd unless I'm running a commercial aircraft that seems to be lowering my normal FPS. The ATR is one of those aircraft. Another idea is to simply rename the FSX.cfg and restart the sim and let the FSX.cfg rebuild itself. Perhaps the cfg got corrupted somehow. If it doesn't fix the problem, you can simply bring back your renamed FSX.cfg. EDIT: See in your orig thread you have done this already. Sorry.He has a lot of addons. Lots of room for errors if just one addon wasn't installed correctly or has a corrupted texture or bad gauge. You don't have to uninstall any of the addons, just move them one-by-one to a temp folder and run the sim each time after you have moved an addon.Sorry to hear you're still having problems. Hope you can find a solution soon.Best regards,Jim

Ok, an update.FSX is now coming up with the following error, with NO add-ons whatsoever installed:AppName: fsx.exe AppVer: 10.0.61355.0 AppStamp:4643ee0aModName: unknown ModVer: 0.0.0.0 ModStamp:00000000fDebug: 0 Offset: 0017a0c0This is getting beyond a freaking joke now, and I'm suspecting a dodgy FSX DVD or two, as my copy of FSX ran on this pc fine.

Is DirectX up to date?Is .Net up to date?Apply WXP SP2Run FSX 'repair' option and apply FSX sp2This 'VS C++ 2005 SP1 redist' is most likely the culpret. I would remove it and see what happens.

Guest The Wizard of Oz

I would try:Uuninstalling FSX completely.Then reinstall XP (on top of existing)Re-install FSX and then FSX SP1Turn off all other non-essentials I did this recently after many irregular blue screens.All is working well now.Cheers WOZ