Sign in to follow this  
rcbarend

Radio Altitude

Guest kd001

I noticed that in FSX you don't get the aircraft computer calling out the radio altitude during final approach. Is there a way of enabling this? I know its a minor thing, it would add to the realism.

Guest jshyluk

You can get call-outs from various third party add-ons: Flight Deck Companion, FS2Crew, and FSFlyingSchool come to my mind immediately, although those are all payware. There may be freeware solutions out there, so hopefully someone can help you there. Otherwise, in FSX, you don't get call-outs as there is no co-pilot to call them out.Automated call-outs come from a GPWS, which if memory serves, stands for Ground Position Warning System. If your aircraft doesn't have a GPWS, then you won't get call-outs. Again, you're either looking for those payware add-ons above, or looking through the Avsim library for freebies. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

Check out my freeware GPWS gauge (file rcbgp-33.zip).Although designed for FS9, it works for FSX as well with a small modification (the included soundgauge version is incompatible with FSX, and may cause crashes.Although FSX has a (limited) GPWS of its own, I had many request for an FSX-compatible version of my gauge.I will publish the FSX-upgrade tomorrow.Rob Barendregt

Guest JeffPreston

As Jeff kindly mentioned, FSFlyingSchool calls out the AGL if you wish it to (it can be disabled). If you are interested, you can try it for free while flying in the Chicago area. It does a lot more too... :)