Sign in to follow this  
pastorpilot

Acceleration & DX10 Preview so far, not so good here.

Hi FolksVista users -This may not fix the issue directly,but will ensure you're working on the required versions.Please read the readme.html in your FSX root folder.It lists a number of patches & configs that should first be applied for Vista.Info should be displayed on first running FSX.Also available from the help section.Just in case anyone's not doing so -When you apply the DX10 preview, you must then close FSX,and then restart it, before you will see DX10 in FSX.HTHATBPaulhttp://www.basys.f9.co.uk/resources/images..._sig_500x94.jpghttp://www.fs-odg.com

>Well, the only two resolutions that I can see is>>a) Another FSX update>:( No DX10 for FSX at allHmmm, disappointing to see so many problems with DX10 for FSX in Acceleration, but its early days, it does not get released here for over a week yet, perhaps then the correct combination of drivers for our video cards will be known then ... I have a 8800GTX and plan to use Acceleration in Vista 64 with DX10 if possible, I certainly don't mind experimenting with older drivers if it helps.But perhaps you are right, its early days for DX10 as well and it might not have any real usefulness in FSX, maybe FS11.I hope to see more encouraging posts before I do get the expansion though.

Guest danny68

All the wonderful things DX10 promised has just not delivered.Best IMO is to accept that DX9 is what ACES designed FSX to run on. Save your money, don't rush out and buy Vista just so you can use DX10.Personally, I'm going to keep DX9 now and XP for a long while yet.FSX runs just fine with DX9 and XP.

Guest DC-9

Glad I never went out and dropped a large amount of money for these kind of problems. I'm fortunate to have seen the writing on the wall a long time ago with DX10. I do feel bad for those who have though. :(

What's interesting is the term "DX10 Preview". Is it possible it's just that, a preview of what DX10 will look like, but still running off of DX9/CPU? That would account for the slow performance everyone i reporting. The full DX10 functionality may be included in the SP2 patch still to be released! Just trying to understand why it's called a Preview.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

>The full DX10 functionality>may be included in the SP2 patch still to be released! Just>trying to understand why it's called a Preview.I thought SP2 was in Acceleration but will get a seperate stand alone release later?I agree that calling it a DX10 "preview" is a little odd though.

>What's interesting is the term "DX10 Preview". Is it possible>it's just that, a preview of what DX10 will look like, but>still running off of DX9/CPU? That would account for the slow>performance everyone i reporting. The full DX10 functionality>may be included in the SP2 patch still to be released! Just>trying to understand why it's called a Preview. Phil Taylor explained this here toward the bottom of this post:http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007...on-and-sp2.aspx

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Read Phil's blog regarding why it's called a 'preview'....SP2 in Acceleration is the exact same SP2 that will be distributed via the free download.Glenn

The resolution of the cockpit shadows is related to the cross-section of the aircraft you are flying. The larger the cross-section of the aircraft, the more resolution available for the cockpit shadows. Turning off "aircraft self-shadowing" in the Settings dialog will turn off both exterior and interior shadows for the aircraft.

Thanks for that explanation about how the shadows work Phil.I've played around a bit with the various combinations of the nvidia driver overriding AA and AF settings and settings being turned on/off in FSX. I need more testing (darn work, maybe tonight) but it seems like if I have the driver set to override application settings _and_ have the settings enabled in FSX, then I get good frame rates with both AA and AF working. Wierd.I've also noticed that sometimes switching from a small windowed mode then back to full screen improves my frame rates. I assume this causes the application to re-aquire the graphics device or something. Anyway, I think it is a solvable problem. Don

>The resolution of the cockpit shadows is related to the>cross-section of the aircraft you are flying. The larger the>cross-section of the aircraft, the more resolution available>for the cockpit shadows. >>Turning off "aircraft self-shadowing" in the Settings dialog>will turn off both exterior and interior shadows for the>aircraft.Phil,Any idea why many of us are experiencing problems with the DX10 preview and NVIDIA cards?? I cannot beleive that not one beta tester or someone from the development team has responded with a possible cause or solution to this issue.

Guest j0nx

Add me to that list. I lose about 20% frame rate with equivalent settings in dx10 vs dx9. It is impossible to run water on 2high and bloom in dx10 without taking the same frame rate hit that i would take in dx9. The self shadowing also causes major lag and jerkiness for me. Something is definitely not as advertised with the dx10 patch.Forgot to mention that i am core2 duo and 8800 nvidia card as well with latest nvidia whql drivers.

Me too :-( No amount of fiddling brings back AA or AF. Worked very well prior to the installation. I've changed settings in the nvidia control panel as well as nHancer.Seems odd that AA and AF quit working by just installing Acceleration. Someone will come up with a solution and we'll all be shaking our heads.Regards,Jim Karn