Sign in to follow this  
Ramasurinen

Acceleration causing freezing at menus?

Guest azflyboy

I've been messing around with Acceleration most of this afternoon, and it seems to have caused a problem that I have no idea how to fix. If I'm flying (free flight a saved flight or a mission), and try and select any menu except "select aircraft", FSX just hangs up, usually to the point where I'm unable to get the task manager to appear and have to reboot using the power switch. Before installing Acceleration, I removed my old FSX install, then re-installed FSX and SP1 before installing Acceleration, so I don't think I'm running into some kind of compatibility issue with a 3rd party product.I've even tried removing the FSX.cfg and letting FSX create a new one, but that also did nothing.I have 2 gigs of RAM and it doesn't seem like I'm running out of memory, but it appears that FSX gets stuck processing something, since I can hear my hard drive running like mad for about 45-60 seconds after trying to open a menu. Oddly enough, If I try to open those same menus from the main screen, there are no problems, but they stubbornly refuse to work in flight. I'm pretty much going nuts trying to figure out what the heck Acceleration has done here, so any help would be appreciated.My system specs are:Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe MotherboardAMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+Nvidia Geforce 7900GT2GB RAM300GB HDD

Guest JIMJAM

Same here.Ive gave up trying to isolate what is causing it but if you started from scratch where as I have not, maybe there is a specific problem.At first I was crashing as soon as I hit the icon.Deleted the .cfg and it runs.Then if I try to access the menu in game, I get a hard freeze requiring a reboot.So it sounds like we have the same problem.I have a 7900gtx, 2 gigs with nhancer.I thought that one of my addons, and I have all of em, was causing the orig crash.Then when I bring up the menu it was trying to load and thus freezing.But if you started from scratch Im now without hope.

I was having some random freezing with Acceleration that went away when I reduced sound card acceleration to "basic." Might be worth a try.Randall

Guest JIMJAM

Full ScreenI hit alt and instead of hitting options, opened add ons.I was able to access it and close it without CTD.Tried again but this time opened options and it CTD.I am not loaded ASX.Scenery maker also seems to not let FSX load.If I ALLOW it when FSX loads, I get a CTD and have to erase my .cfgThis sure is a mess.

Guest azflyboy

I think I might have stumbled on a solution, but I don't know if it's specific to my system. Try loading a mission, then pause FSX (hit "P"), then bring up the menu bar with the ALT key, and then try selecting something using ONLY your keyboard and enter key. For some reason this seems to work for me, but I have no clue why.

Had the same problem on XP, and yup same card pretty much 7900GT/GTO, truly the black sheep of the nvidia family. Tried every driver between 91.47 and the latest, new directx, nada fixed it. Got fed up and installed the Vista ultimate 32 disc that's been sitting on my desk for a couple weeks. Menus work fine now, just have massive stuttering in full screen mode instead. It's days like this that uber-expensive real flying looks awfully good again hehe.Got an 8800 ultra on order now. I've had enough of this 7900's problems, blue water tiles at night and whatnot. :)Try using the menus in windowed mode, should work fine, did for me anyway, though alt-enter'ing between the two sometimes crashed it.Fun!

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations