Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

What's wrong with my Baron?

Guest jtek

I just got FSX, and I'm liking it, but I'm having trouble flying the Baron. When I push the throttles all the way up, I'm only getting about 17 inches of manifold pressure. Is that normal? It seems like it should be higher than that with full throttle. I'm only able to climb at 200 fpm, and with that climb the indicated airspeed is only about 80 knots! In cruise I can only get 136 KIAS (the Baron is supposed to cruise at closer to 200 KIAS).Any ideas? Am I missing something?

Guest Calb

Did you check the setting of your stick sensitivities slider for the throttle? It should be full, with no null.Cal - CYXXFSX Beta Tester

Yes, it sounds like you aren't leaning the engine's mixture as you climb...If you don't want to be bothered with manually adjusting the mixture controls, then check of the box in the Realism menu to enable "auto-mixture."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest jtek

Auto-mixture was already enabled. I've always played with auto mixture turned on in FS9. But guess what? I disabled auto-mixture in FSX now and problem solved!Now here's my next question. Now that I have auto-mixture turned off, how do I properly adjust mixture?

You can lean the mixture with your mouse by pulling back on the red levers, or you can do it on your keyboard with the Shift+Ctrl+F3 to increase the mixture, or F2 to lean it. You lean the mixture as you gain altitude by listening to when the motor begins to die, then you push the lever back a few notches. Be careful though because leaning too much will kill the engine.Mike.

Mike Beckwith

Much better yet, instead of hearing your engine die, watch your EGT. If you have reached altitude and start to lean, EGT will rise until it comes to a peak (chemical correct mixture), then drop again. Now to not let the engine get too hot you might increase the mix again so EGT drops about 50

Guest jtek

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll try it out on my next flight.

Also what is your field elevation?The Baron on a standard day at sea level should give you about 27" at full power. But if you take off from an airport such as Flagstaff, Az. which is nearly at 7000 ft. you can expect to get approx. an inch less per thousand feet. At a high altitude airport you would want to lean before takeoff-and consult the performance charts for sure.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/