Sign in to follow this  
Guest SkyDrift

Acceleration shipping... what happened?

My amazon.com pre-order just got bumped to a month later: Microsoft Flight Simulator X Acceleration Expansion [CD-ROM] Updated Shipping Estimate: November 23, 2007 - December 7, 2007 Updated Delivery Estimate: November 26, 2007 - December 12, 2007 Your approval required by: November 24, 2007 Best Buy says it is back-ordered for two weeks.Circuit City - unavailable everywhere (local stores and their phone-order)Is there something wrong?

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I know how you feel!Here in Canada, every store I have been to except EB Games haven't even heard of 'FSX Acceleration'!!!EB told me it would be in on the 23rd or 24th. It didn't come in and they have no idea why or when it will.Futureshop, BestBuy, Walmart - all blank stares..............Sick and tired of 'games consoles' Xbox, PS3 - stick em where the sun don't shine.......Glenn

if you go to best buy, you can select Store pick up . Enter your zip code and it would tell you the closest Best buy and it would highlight the one where it is in stock.Go get that and cancel the Amazon order.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Nothings wrong. Just appears that not a whole lot of copies were sent out in the original shipments. After noticing my online order placed on 2-3 week backorder yesterday, I was lucky enough to pickup a copy at my local Best Buy.

You are right, I've made my arrangements with Best Buy and cancelled amazon.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I don't have any specific information, but its possible the fires out in California (and anywhere else ablaze at the moment) might be screwing up the shipping/trucking company schedules (trucks stuck on one side or the other of the fire, or having to take multi-day detours, etc).

Its available in almost all the Best Buys at Dallas Fort Worth area. I just checked an hr ago.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Yes...I got an email from Best Buy yesterday that said Acceleration was backordered. It suggested 3 things: 1. Go to the store to see if they have it, 2. Use my credit for something else, 3. Cancel the order altogether. So, I went to Best Buy here in Allentown, Pa., and it wasn't on the shelf. Asked a salesrep there to check the "back room". He came back with one in hand. They had just come in and were on a skid in the back warehouse area. I paid for it there, called the toll free number for Best Buy and cancelled my online order.I should have known that online orders for these kinds of things "rarely", if ever get filled before the store has them. If you have the store in your area (Best Buy, Circuit City, EB, Gamestop), you're better off just waiting until release day, and going there. Stan

I was wondering where Acceleration was manufactured and shipped from, actually tried searching internet yesterday for this info but came up with nothing. If it's out of Southern California that could cause some problems.

>You are right, I've made my arrangements with Best Buy and>cancelled amazon.Follow up:The Best Buy process worked like a charm. I am home now with Acceleration installed. Now onto enjoying it.Quick question. Are the SDK and SDK-SP1a the same as the SDK releases from earlier in the year?The SDK.exe shows up as the "Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Accleration SDK Setup" and the fsx_sdk_sp1a.exe requires that I have RTM from last year installed.Should I just have the SDK.exe installed?J-

Jeff Bea

Guest JimC1702

Amazon had the same debacle with FSX when it first came out. I had pre-ordered it and got it two weeks after the rest of the world. Not sure what their problem is, I would thing they are among the larger retailers.As for Acceleration Pack, I can wait. I figure by the time I get it, most of the bugs will be squashed.Jim

Guest SkyDrift

>>>Quick question. Are the SDK and SDK-SP1a the same as the SDK releases from earlier in the year? The SDK.exe shows up as the "Microsoft Flight Simulator X:Accleration SDK Setup" and the fsx_sdk_sp1a.exe requires that I have RTM from last year installed.Hi J. No, the SDK included in Acceleration is not the same as the RTM or RTM-SP1a version. The Acceleration SDK includes, amoungst other things, information on the new Carrier and Hoist capabilities, plus has been converted to a CHM (as opposed to HTML) format.You should be able to install over any existing SDK version as the Acceleration install simply removes your existing SDK & replaces it with the new version. I would suggest that if you have created any content of your own within the SDK folders that you back it up. I found that the install does not touch user-created content, but in case things go wrong, it's always good to have backed up any files you created in the SDK folders :>)- regards, SkyDrift

Guest jshyluk

I had an order from Amazon that got bumped 3 months. Then, on Day 88, I got an e-mail saying that my order was bumped another 3 months. On about day 160, I got an e-mail saying the book I wanted was out of stock. My buddy got his book, the same book in two weeks. The moral is: You want to play in Amazon's sandbox, you respect Amazon's rules. There are many other playgrounds to play in, though. I find with Amazon, it's best not to pre-order anything, unless it was written by J.K. Rowling. Also, it's not so good for ordering existing obscure book titles, either. Mainstream items that have already published in the millions of copies, no problem. This is my experience, and my opinion, and may or may not be the same as the official opinion of AVSIM.COM, if any.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

Guest jshyluk

Just to add... hunting down a copy of Acceleration couldn't be as bad as trying to find a copy of the space shootemup "X3-Reunion" in Canada. That game was released everywhere else in the world except Canada, which got the game, what, 6 weeks later than everyone else (except Australia & New Zealand). On top of that, the publishers only sent 2 dozen copies to cover Canada in their first shipment. Then, it turns out that most of the copies in the shipment had a faulty disk #2 that would destroy the intallation. After e-mailing and calling around for weeks, I discovered that the thrill of the game was in hunting it down, and I found it by travelling to several EB's and Best Buys in sequence until I ran across a single copy. Although pretty to look at, the gameplay was only so-so, not nearly as much fun as it was to track down my personal copy, which now sits at the bottom of my "unused" pile. Well, I guess I needed to rant a bit about Amazon & X3. I feel better now that I've vented that, even if it is going off-topic. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

Rant on bro... catharsis. :-)I've had more luck than not with Amazon. This is actually my first disappointment with them.

Jeff Bea