Sign in to follow this  

Comparing DX9(+acc) to DX10(+acc)

Guest phenom

And I'm running:Vista UltimateCore 2 E6600 OC'd to 3.6 GHz4GB of RAM (PC-6400)dual EVGA GTX 8800 in SLI (I believe I have SLI disabled, however)Asus Striker Extreme onboard sound150GB Raptor partitioned w/XP and Vista150GB Raptor dedicated to FSX and its add-ons

Sorry, you JUST CAN'T compare these games where the "world" is a small area to MSFS, which models the world.These are not directly comparable. No matter how upsetting the performance issues are, any program which tries to model the globe to the level that MSFS and its attendant add-ons do is going to be in its own class.Ask any of the developers of these engines and they'll tell you that limiting the extent of the "world" is a key factor allowing performance.I had a discussion with a game developer just this week about why maps were limited in size and he said if he went beyond about 20 x 20 km^2 he would have to get into a "round earth" model. We have a round earth model in msfs now.I am not saying that some other engine would be more powerful, but I seriously doubt any of the engines-du-jour even attempt to model the whole world.Have you slewed out as far as you can go and come back down again with FSX? The ability to see this transition is non-existent in any other game.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

>oh, and I forgot>>XNA==DX9.>>No DX10 using XNA. And no separate Managed DX10. So thats a>non-starter. And having been the PM on Managed DX9 which grew>into XNA; the goal was within 5% of the native interfaces.>There is some overhead there even if its small. And there were>significant limitations besides the use of the DX APIs. Float>performance wasnt great, conversions arent especially great>unless you can avoid box/unbox of the types, and anything that>isnt managed that you have to interface with has P-Invoke>overhead. And thats just the top 3.>>It isnt as simple as it seems.Phil,Would you please (pretty, pretty, pretty please) shed some light on why Managed DX was killed? It was a major disappointment. XNA clearly equates to console with XNA, making the PC a 2nd class citizen.Thanks,J-

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

If I turn FSX's AA off after takeoff, AND lock my fps to 18 instead of unlimited, althewhile having DX10 preview on, it aint as bad then, less stutters, higher fps than with it still on.But i need AA on the ground the lines are way to zigzagedallen

We ran on a mix of 8xxx and 2xxx series.As far as driver rev, it was pre 16x on the nv side and pre 7.x on the ATI side.I am home sick with a sick kid, and cannot access my work hw so thats as definitive as I can be.Has anyone validated that the nV 169.x and ATI 7.1 are performing better, or showing the same symptoms?As far as AA/AF, if you disable in-game, and out-of-game doesnt work either, thats definitely not the games issue as we are out of the loop then.

>Have you slewed out as far as you can go and come back down>again with FSX? The ability to see this transition is>non-existent in any other game.And what good is this feature to us if the result is blurries and low FPS. If we would limit the engine to only show the things we would see within a typical visibilty condition (ie the part we realy see) and gain 10 FPS by it we would be stupid to keep that feature in.Limiting 3dworlds is all about not overloading your graphics card with calls it can't possibly handle. Typical 3d engines do that with limited mapsizes. I'm sure 3D programmers can come up with something that works in a round earth model. Remember that the 3d engine only has to render that part of the world we realy see. Beyond that we need several miles of data on 'standby' because that part of the world might come into view during the playing session. Large parts of that data is just static info (mesh, landclass, roads)which you can load in a background task. You need to do a bit more with dynamic data (AI traffic, weather) but again your engine would be wasting time worrying about rain in New York when you currently fly above London. The original poster and I are not comparing the raw 3D engines with each other we are making a statement about the different design decisions. The other 3D games have much more competition in their genre so they take a lot of time making sure that their game works with nice graphics and good FPS on an avarage PC. FS developers still seem to think their target adience want to buy the new game and then a new highend machine to play it on.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Ya, It's strange. I think the AA was working for me earlier (perhaps not) when i had the check box checked in game. But when i had it checked it caused horrible stutters and looked ugly so i unchecked it. I then turned turned AA on in the control panel to 4x - And went back to the sim and it looked great with smooth performance. But now that i've played with a little I realized my AA is not working because when i turn it up to 16x it dosn't do a thing - exactly the same. Even if it is not working it looks great though, there is not much glitter/ gitter effect on my screen. Sorry I goofed you up and others. My bad.

I haven't seen it mentioned yet. Has anyone gotten Vsync to work with DX10 yet? That seems to be another casualty, at least for me. Can't run it through the fsx.cfg lines or through forcing it in the driver at all. Works fine in DX9 mode when forcing through the driver, but the config tweaks have no effect there. They worked in sp1.Cheers,Mike

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

I agree that the fs graphics engine development needs a new and fresh approach. But fs2000, as far as I can remember, was quite slow and suffered from microstutters even on high end machines. So that's hardly the ideal performance we are looking for in the next iteration of fs.best regards,C.G.

I have AA checked in FS for the DX10 preview. Eliminates the jaggies on everything except the cockpit shadows which, after flying around for awhile, are actually really good as long as you don't focus on them.Still seeing no effect from using the control panel for AA or AF.

If anyone is interested, I kept my promis and put together a quick video yesterday. The video has no theme or anything - just a bunch of random stuff using acceleration in DX10 mode. I have to say, the F18 and the aircraft carrier are really fun to play around with. I tried to show off the white caps in the water but they barley show when on youtube. Oh well. Enjoy: Sorry, do not post videos on Avsim that contain copyrighted music please

Really great video Joey!!Are you using Vista 32 or 64?

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Thanks guys, Much appreciated. I using vista 32. And Ya, I can try to figure out a way so you can download a better quality video.