Sign in to follow this  
citationjet

Struggeling with settings on a RTX4080 with a Gaming Laptop

Hello,
I have a gaming Laptop with a i9-13900HX, RTX4080 and 64GB RAM
If I use DX12, NVIDIA DLSS Super Resolution (Balanced) and Frame Generation ON, TLOD 100 and the rest as a mix of Ultra and High I get a Frames above 120 ( idicated by MSI afterburner). But the frames jumping around between 60 and the 120’s. I’m not sure what is the optimal setting in MSFS and what I need to select in the Nvidia CP? (At the moment in the CP everything is default) I read a lot of entries here in the forum but most of them are related to a Desktop and not to a Laptop. The refresh rate of the Laptop is selectable for 240hz and 60hz so I’m not sure what is the best to choose.
So i really appreciate your input what settings make sense to have a more or less stutter free experience.
Thx in advance
Mark

Edited by citationjet

Ensure you are testing on a vanilla game with NO mods.

Community folder should be empty.

in nVidia control panel you can set Global Settings to High Performance nVidia Processor

You will find a LOT of forum posts that you can use as a guide  - and thats all they are good for because you will have to tweak and play around a lot on your own system to tweak it to find that sweet spot.

Heres a good one

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/how-to-graphics-settings-and-performance-guide-su12-update-7-26-2023/132407

It will take some time as you will have to play with the nVidia panel and the game menu settings.

Does the laptop display have G-Sync? That’s a key consideration for how you handle tearing.

Frames jumping around between 60 and 120 is normal and actually word not allowed good! This sim is heavily constrained by the CPU in almost all cases except perhaps in a 152 in the middle of the ocean. 😝 And thus your FPS is a direct function of how much work the CPU has to do to create the scene… scenery, airports, photogrammetry, buildings, objects, AI traffic, etc, all have an effect on the CPU and thus your FPS at any given moment. 

Also probably want to set max frame rate via Nvidia control panel just below the refresh rate of the screen.

So 240hz is really high hehe...  I guess you could try setting 120 max fps for half and see if it smooths things out.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Sounds like your laptop is struggling between feeding the CPU and the GPU at the same time. As you probably know, laptops are power limited (175w GPU is usually the maximum for your configuration), so if your GPU demands a lot of power, your CPU will suffer and vice-versa. MSFS is highly dependent on CPU, so any power losses and throttling (which WILL occur on a 13900 inside a laptop) will cause stuttering.

That CPU is problematic for MSFS (has way too many cores for what we need), so I'd try to use an affinity mask when launching MSFS in order to stop the CPU from using the efficiency cores (worthless in MSFS, you have 8 high power cores which are already too many) thus balancing things off and/or power limit the GPU to maybe 100W and see how it behaves.

So, affinitymask to use only 8 high power cores (6 would suffice for sure, but...) and limit the GPU to 100W if you still get stuttering. I hate frame generation, but in this case it will probably be a necessity. Also DX12 seems to be slower, try DX11 and see how that goes.

Edited by Nuno Pinto

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Use 240hz + Gsync or Freesync, that frames jumping around between 60 and the 120’s are normal, if your laptop doesn't have G-sync or Freesync use DX 11 + V-sync in game instead.

Edited by Ixoye

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

As a rule of thumb, the RTX4080 (laptop) should perform similar to a RTX4070TI Desktop.  Same amount of VRAM and generally similar performance.

Frame generation on a Nividia 4000 gpu requires DX12. It also requires HAGS on.

I found this out tonight, just installed my new 4070. FG was greyed out in MSFS options until I did the 2 things above. (Resetting HAGS on or off requires system reboot and resetting DX 11 or DX  12 requires MSFS reboot or the change won't  take effect).

Edited by Fielder

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.