Sign in to follow this  
ahuimanu

Phil Taylor...hang in there

Hi Phil...just thought I'd pass on some wisdom from a fellow PM.In the end:* Some complaints are valid* Some complaints are BS* The rest are in-between.Hang in there anyway, cuz the majority of us LUV YOU.Do you still LUV US?Cheers,bt

Guest LSflyguy

I can't comment as a "fellow PM," but as a longtime MSFS customer I was genuinely shocked to read the recent thread detailing some of the abusive behavior towards Phil. In my view, ALL participants in these forums should be accorded courtesy and respect, certainly no less than if you were conversing with the person face-to-face. The ad hominem attacks have no place within the AVSIM community and I was glad to see our moderators crack down on some of this behavior. If you can't be polite and show some semblance of good manners, even towards people with whom you happen to disagree, then AVSIM really shouldn't be the place for you. Microsoft/ACES made a huge paradigm shift around the time of last year's AVSIM conference when they began to engage the FS community in a more direct dialogue. They shouldn't have to endure abuse as a result, even if it's only from a tiny minority of AVSIM participants -- that still doesn't excuse unacceptable behavior. ACES' involvement in these forums has been a clear plus for the community. Shame on us if we discourage people like Phil Taylor from being active participants in our discussions. From what I've seen, Phil has been doing an outstanding job, and our community would be much poorer if we did not have the benefit of his continued participation. I can only hope that Phil realizes that 99.99% of AVSIM participants are very appreciative of his efforts and would hate to see him leave.

Just a reminder; at the bottom left of every message is an alert link. We can't be here 24x7, and everyone can help. Hit the alert link and that will send us a message with a link back to the specific message of concern. Our tolerance for this kind of behaviour has gone to zero and we will enforce our "one strike" rule. No forewarning, not forgiveness. Abuse the privilege of accessing the AVSIM forums, and the offending poster will be banned. We have 10's of thousands of registered users and double that which are not registered but read these forums daily. We will not allow one or two to ruin if for the rest, and we will certainly not let the very small minority to squash the participation of MS here.

Thanks Tom for taking this stance. It's been great having the ACES team here and I don't want to see this ruined in the future.

Ken

>Thanks Tom for taking this stance. It's been great having the>ACES team here and I don't want to see this ruined in the>future. Ditto!!!

It's great Phil is involved here. I think it may be best that professionals not post directly but rather Avsim have controlled chat sessions from time to time with professionals like Phil. That way comments can be moderated in real time. He deserves much more respect than was shown here.On Acceleration DX10 ... I understand the frustration directed towards Aces. The 8800 / Core Duo is the most widely installed DX10 setup by a wide margin. I just can't understand how MS could release the DX10 preview that fails so badly on that setup. Who tested it?

Guest LSflyguy

Thank you Tom!!!! All these years of using AVSIM and I never realized what the "alert" link did! *facepalms* I'd like to express my support for your policy of zero-tolerance towards abusers. We can all be passionate in these forums without insulting or threatening our fellow participants. AVSIM is a wonderful community of flight sim enthusiasts and I hope it always remains as such.

Acc/SP2 is not failing in all cases on that config. There are a mix of success and failure stories from what I see.Both Aces and nVidia are surprised by the failure cases and we are both investigating. It appears the 169 driver rev offers some users relief, and the investigations will have to run their course.

ATI Radeon HD 2900XT is not problem free either, I hope you might be talking with them as well. Specifically, the runway/taxiway/apron bleed-through problems exist in the DX10 preview with this card and the 7.10 Catalyst drivers.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.