Sign in to follow this  
Guest mau01

Acceleration crashes upon accessing menu bar

I see no confusion.Who is this beta tester that you base your argument on?-because I am sure Microsoft will want to know...The nda states that we may not talk about anything about the beta testing process-period. Therefore if this was a beta tester this person violated the nda. Would you consider such information trustworthy?I see no contridictions.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest jrobert

I'm also running on an nvidia 7600 but occasionally have the CTDs when accessing menus. I always stay up-to-date with the latest FSUIPC from Pete. (I go to the official website for it so often that I have its URL memorized! lol)My system:Processor: Intel Core2 Duo 6700 (2.667 GHz)Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L/S3LMemory: Corsair DDR2 XMS2 2GB (2x 1GB matched pair)Video: nVidia Geforce 7600 GT (256MB, Driver version 163.71)Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZSStorage: Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM SATAOptical: Liteon DVD-+RW LightscribePower Supply: Athena Power 550WOS: Windows XP Professional SP2, Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

>I am running on a nvidia 7600 gts and have never experienced>this problem. Are any of you using fsuipc? Do you have the>latest version?>>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg>Forum Moderator>http://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/I'm running a 7800GT (latest drivers) 1920X1200 24" HP LCD monitor and no FSUIPC.The only way around this problem I've found is to change to windowed mode, use the menu options, and then return to full screen.I suspect this is not so much a Microsoft Aces problem as it is the 7 series Nvidia cards and drivers.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Guest jrobert

You probably don't have the problem because of differing hardware. Sometimes problems can go away simply by replacing the memory with a different brand. I doubt that 188AHC's, yours, and my computers specs are identical. Perhaps we can compare our specs to see just how (not) identical they really are.My system:Processor: Intel Core2 Duo 6700 (2.667 GHz)Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L/S3LMemory: Corsair DDR2 XMS2 2GB (2x 1GB matched pair)Video: nVidia Geforce 7600 GT (256MB, Driver version 163.71)Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZSStorage: Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM SATAOptical: Liteon DVD-+RW LightscribePower Supply: Athena Power 550WOS: Windows XP Professional SP2, Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit

Mine:Processor: Pentium 4 hp 3.2 ghzMotherboard: Msi-pm8m-vVideo: nvidia geforce 7600 gs 512Memory: 2 gigs 2x 1gb matched pair) no idea the makesound: on board soundstorage: western digital 320 gigs wdc wd3200jb Ataoperating system-windows vista 32 professionalThe reason I asked about fsuipc above-is I know not having the latest version can cause a ctd. Also using fsdiscover without the latest version.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest fsxmissionguy

JimJam,I'm still curious what you've added to FSX that might be causing the problem. It sounds like you aren't using pristine FSX/Acceleration and that you may have a lot of third-party apps from a lot of different developers ... and you're reporting a new problem in the game.Some are coming to the conclusion that this MUST be the fault of FSX/Acceleration/Sloppy Beta Testing Procedures/etc. ... when it may not be.The fault may lie with one of the many third-party applications that you've installed on top of FSX/Acceleration (which is what I suspect, since the problem you're reporting wasn't bugged in development to my knowledge.) It could also be a driver issue (you haven't said which video card/driver release you're using.)So, just curious ... which add-ons have you installed? What graphics system is in use? This is vital information to reach a resolution.I agree that reinstalling when you have a bunch of add-ons is a pain in the neck. But it has been my experience that sudden problems nobody else is reporting soon after I've installed a third-party app from developers unknown is a big red flag.

My system specs are listed in post #7 of this thread.I started with a completely fresh install of FSX with no modifications of any sort, no addons, and am using Microsoft resident drivers (Windows XP Pro SP2) and then installed Accel. which installed FSX SP2. Started having CTD when accessing drop down menu right away.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

>>Why is there always the "assumption" that something>>slipped past the beta testers?>>>>Beta testers report problems. The developers (ACES) either>fix>>them or not. That's their call.>>>>After the beta cycle (however many there are) is completed,>>beta testers don't see the final results until everyone else>>does...>>Its a legitimate question, Bill ... I notice you don't own an>Nvidea card or at least list one in your sig! but like it or>not ... customers are going to post things as they find them,>please stop criticizing legit comments, it just causes grief.I've not suggested it's not a "legitimate question," I'm simply asking why there nearly always seems to be the "assumption" that the beta testers are either (a)lazy, (b)stupid, ©incompetent, or (d) some-other-adjective.When the NDA was lifted from the beta testers, that only freed us to talk about the features of the released product. What happened during the beta test is still covered under the NDA. For that reason alone I would submit that either someone is breaking their NDA, or their simply blowing smoke. In any event, I wouldn't put much creedence on the veracity of any such insider knowledge.With respect to my statements regarding the relative usefullness of buying into DX10 at this time, my reasons then remain valid today......unless there's some other compelling reason to do so, it's seldom a prudent decision to spend money on first-generation hardware.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest CocoLoco

I wonder if this might be a graphics memory issue since Geofa has 512MB but at least one of you have 256MB VRAM? Perhaps combining lower VRAM with a high resolution display might push something over the edge.I recently brought a 23" HD monitor home from work for a few days. It's native resolution is 1920X1200 and I noticed that it really hurt FSX performance at that resolution (cut my frame rate in half, with a GeForce 8600M GT and 256MB VRAM). If I went into windowed mode and shrunk the effective resolution to about 2/3rds of the above, performance went back to a solid 24fps. The reason I mention this is it started me wondering about the fact that being in windowed seems to prevent CTD in some cases. Is it the fact that you are in windowed mode or is it that the effective resolution (and demand on the GPU) is reduced? An easy test would be to set the full screen resolution artificially low and then go into full screen mode and try the menus to see if you get the same behavior. I realize this is very speculative and that it won't cure the problem (since running an HD screen in low resolution is not pretty) but it might help identify the problem.I was quite surprised at the frame rate hit in full screen 1920X1200 mode (since FSX is supposedly CPU limited) but I think it is related to the non-linear scaling of the amount of work required to do full scene anti-aliasing as the resolution goes up. The end result of all this is that I have gone back to using my old 19" monitor set at 1280x1024 since I don't find being in windowed mode very immersive.RegardsDavid

Having less VRAM and a high resolution and high AA can reduce the amount of VRAM space for texture and geometry. That swapping can reduce frame rate, sure enough, since that can be a huge drain.

Guest CocoLoco

PhilThanks for your feedback on this. It is appreciated.I hope you and your family are feeling better this week.RegardsDavid

Unlike a lot of others on this board, I've had pretty liveable frame rates from the start with FSX. Some stutters and slight blurries in certain areas, but nothing to keep me from enjoying.However, this problem is just that, a problem. I have gone through the resolution changes from 1920 X 1200 all the way back to 1024 X 768 (ugh) with the same problem (CTD's or lockups). I've had this monitor and card a good while and have been running FSX and have never had a lockup or CTD.I maintain that there is something in Accel. or SP2 and the combination of Nvidia "7" series hardware or the drivers that is in conflict. I hope either Aces or Nvidia can figure it out so we can move on to enjoying this addon to its fullest.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

Guest jrobert

I only have 256MB VRAM on my graphics card and so because of that, I disable AA on all my games. I'm able to run FSX/Accel around 12-20 FPS @ 1024*768*32 resolution with most scenery sliders set pretty high. Traffic and weather scenery however is what I keep on the low side.Still with as good a performance as can be expected with the hardware I have, I'm not able to solve this issue with the menu accesses causing a CTD.PS: I run FSX/Accel on the XP side of my system. Vista causes a noticable performance hit.My system:Processor: Intel Core2 Duo 6700 (2.667 GHz)Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L/S3LMemory: Corsair DDR2 XMS2 2GB (2x 1GB matched pair)Video: nVidia Geforce 7600 GT (256MB, Driver version 163.71)Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZSStorage: Western Digital 250GB 7200RPM SATAOptical: Liteon DVD-+RW LightscribePower Supply: Athena Power 550WOS: Windows XP Professional SP2, Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit