Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

To ORBX Global Range or not P3dV6 ?...

So,

I'm really positively  impressed with the looks the of default scenery in v6, but I own Orbx Global Range, since ever, my only ORBX product (so far...) and I don't want to mess with the fake install and rather wait for an official v6 installer BUT! I wonder if Global really makes a difference?

Iam seriously considering ORBX LC Europe at least and for a start with my ORBX purchases for v6, but does Global really make a difference worth the install in v6?

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Isn't global required as a minimum for many of the Orbx airports?

With that said, I use:

• Global
  • OpenLC South America
  • OpenLC Africa
  • All TEs (California, Great Britain, Netherlands, Florida, Oregon, Washington)
  • Australia V2
  • NZ North and South
  • Germany North and South
  • Ireland North and South
  • Orbx Trees and Flora

Adding PILOTs 2024 mesh really makes mountain regions stand out, a MUST and native installer for V6.

Not a fan of the new trees in V6 when it comes to shadows.  The TE's look incredible!

I'm making a list of existing PBR airports and aircraft that were created for V4.4 to V5.4.  Unfortunately the PBR implementation under V6 is better but can make some of the older PBR implementations appear too dark.

• Like 1

Good point, and thank you for bringing it - Global Base being a pre-requisite for further enhancement packs... Wasn't sure about it.

So if I want to I'll have to install Global Base!

I'll wait for the v6-ready installers to get available then 🙂

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Don't stone me with stones but IMHO version 6 looks so good in the raw it doesn't need to be covered up with the ORBX wardrobe. I don't know exactly what it is, graphics, lighting, new or redone default scenery or what but I think it looks just as good if not better than my P3DV5 with all the full fat regions and Vector. Just to compare I uninstalled all my ORBX in V5 and flew the same area but just not the same. Had to reinstall ORBX in V5.

I have very few addon sceneries installed in V6 but plenty of photo scenery I can connect to if I desire. Like @jcomm I don't care to start shoe horning addons since I have V5 for those and don't plan to uninstall it. I just keep version6 as a curiosity. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Vic green

I havent really got into V6 yet. I`m hoping one day to be able to run my PMDG`s in it without issues.

Regarding ORBX I dont really bother with it anymore in V5 as I prefer the vanilla when flying heavies.

• Like 2

Intel® Core™ i9-13900KF - 24 Cores... Watercooling NZXT Kraken 240 RGB Black...MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK...Kingston Fury Beast RGB 128GB DDR5-5600...NVIDIA RTX 4090 24GB.

For me, using P3DV5, the ORBX Global land class series of add-ons including vector is a necessity. In western Canada where I do a lot of my sim flying, the ORBX products looks more like what I expect to see in real life. The default scenery does not look that real to me. I also use ORBX vector, because major rivers are missing in the default vector data for the area near my home airport. Did some flying with the vanilla P3DV6 and it seems to use the similar land class tiles and vector data as the default V5 with the same issues that I mentioned. I have not installed ORBX into P3DV6 yet, waiting to see if and when ORBX central works with P3DV6.  What looks better may depend on the area of the world you're flying in. I've also see some post about lighting and the default scenery may work better with the P3DV6 lighting engine.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Specs: black box thingy with spinning fans, lights and a bunch of wires that go to screens with pretty colours and a keyboard with many keys. The black box thingy also has a push button activated coffee cup holder.

John C.

On 9/22/2023 at 9:29 AM, jcomm said:

So,

I'm really positively  impressed with the looks the of default scenery in v6, but I own Orbx Global Range, since ever, my only ORBX product (so far...) and I don't want to mess with the fake install and rather wait for an official v6 installer BUT! I wonder if Global really makes a difference?

Iam seriously considering ORBX LC Europe at least and for a start with my ORBX purchases for v6, but does Global really make a difference worth the install in v6?

Almost three months have passed since the release of P3D v6 and despite the reassurances of Orbx CEO Anna Cicognani, still no news on Orbx Central for P3D v6.

If you want to install FTX Global and all other Orbx programs, you can follow this procedure:

Orbx products can be installed by entering C:\ProgramData\Lochkedd Martin\Prepar3D v6\add-ons

[DiscoveryPath.0]
Path=C:\Orbx LIBRARY\p3dv5
Title=Orbx My Library
Active=TRUE

Then the add-ons in C:\ProgramData\Lochkedd Martin\Prepar3D v6\ will become:

[Package.0]
Path=C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v6\Development Tools\Visual FX Tool
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[Package.1]
Path=C:\Program Files\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v6\Development Tools\Traffic Toolbox
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

[DiscoveryPath.0]
Path=C:\Orbx LIBRARY\p3dv5
Title=Orbx My Library
Active=TRUE

On Path=C:\ "LIBRARY Orbx" should be replaced with the name of your Orbx library for P3d v5.

If your Orbx library is not located in C:\ it must be replaced with the letter where the Orbx library is installed.

When you start Prepar3D v6 you will be asked to activate every single product in the Orbx library, as is done on P3D v5.

Obviously it is possible to install only the Orbx products present in the library and not those installed directly in the Main program of P3D v5.

After installing FTX Global Base, the trees were not present in the scenario but with this procedure they return to the same as on P3D 5.x:

in ...\Orbx Library\p3dv5\Orbx Libraries\Orbx\Scripts\custom.gb_base

Rename AutogenDescriptions.spb to AutogenDescriptions original.spb

Make a copy of AutogenDescriptions_Legacy.spb and rename it to AutogenDescriptions.spb

Two warnings:

if this Orbx library is also used for P3D 5.x, after this change, the trees will be displayed to a lesser extent on P3D 5.x.

If you install P3D v6 without the presence of other P3D 5.x. you need a copy/paste from where P3D 5.x is installed, of the Prepar3D v5 folder in ...\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\ which must be copied where P3D v6 is installed again in ...\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\ if this is missing folder together with that of P3D v6, even if installed with the procedure described at the beginning, Orbx ObjectFlow does not work.

• Like 2

@RobPol471,

thank you for the hints !

I actually managed to install using ORBX Central the only product I owned - Global - as well as the Libraries and free sceneries...

A purchase of Mkstudios LPPR was also successfully installed.

All I did was using the "Registry fix", pointing a fake v5 install to my v6 folder, and the ProgramData softlink. It worked ok, ORBX Central didn't complain.

With only the Registry fix, ORBX Central complained about v5 not being installed, and indeed I only have a fresh install of v6 on my system, no other version of the sim... but the soft link worked !

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

11 minutes ago, jcomm said:

@RobPol471,

I actually managed to install using ORBX Central the only product I owned - Global - as well as the Libraries and free sceneries...

All I did was using the "Registry fix", pointing a fake v5 install to my v6 folder, and the ProgramData softlink. It worked ok, ORBX Central didn't complain.

With only the Registry fix, ORBX Central complained about v5 not being installed, and indeed I only have a fresh install of v6 on my system, no other version of the sim... but the soft link worked !

Making Orbx Central see P3D v6 as P3D v5 by changing the registry keys is the other option and this shows that it shouldn't be complicated for Orbx Central to "see" P3D v6 but it doesn't explain all this delay of Orbx in updating Orbx Central to P3D v6 despite the CEO's reassurances.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, RobPol471 said:

Making Orbx Central see P3D v6 as P3D v5 by changing the registry keys is the other option and this shows that it shouldn't be complicated for Orbx Central to "see" P3D v6 but it doesn't explain all this delay of Orbx in updating Orbx Central to P3D v6 despite the CEO's reassurances.

Yes,

I have to "understand" all of these developers who have to  put all of their resources into the main source of sales these days, although I regret, particularly because I've been there, and came back to where I feel much more "at home", and would really like to see ORBX, PMDG, FSLABS, ... keeping their support for P3D including v6.

Time will tell... 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Main Simulation Rig:

On 9/22/2023 at 4:59 AM, CO2Neutral said:

Isn't global required as a minimum for many of the Orbx airports?

IIRC, it's not a functional requirement, but rather a visual one. I.e., without the underlying Global/Regional/True Earth sceneries, the airports stick out like a sore thumb on the Default scenery.

OTOH, maybe I'm getting that confused with Orbx for X-Plane...

10 hours ago, jcomm said:

@RobPol471,

What is the lighting of ground and building textures like at dusk and dawn.

I found with my Orbx installed everything was pitch black

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jkeye said:

What is the lighting of ground and building textures like at dusk and dawn.

I found with my Orbx installed everything was pitch black

I have used it just for an hour at most after installing through ORBX Central yesterday, and I think that while at some areas of the scenery I see the same lights, Lisbon airport ( MKStudios LPPT latest version ) did look a bit "too dark" but I will continue to test...

• Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig: