Sign in to follow this  
MM

Working with Scenery Add-ons in FSX

I wonder if someone might point me toward the way to manipulate scenery files in FSX. (That is, a way beyond using the "Scenery Library" commands within FSX itself.)With FS9, one could simply edit the scenery.cfg file in the FS9 folder. Is there an equivalent for FSX? Where does FSX store the information about the add-on sceneries? Thanks,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Hello Mike,In the scenery.cfg, just like in FS 9.You will find it here:C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftFSXBy the way, the scenery.cfg file in the FS X root directory is just a template and should not be modified - if changed, it will not affect the scenery library.Best regards.Luis

Hi Luiz,Thanks. I hope that you will be kind enough to add a bit more help.Now a puzzle. Things are not quite what they should be.I have added some scenery using the internal FSX "Scenery Library". And also, Ultimate Terrain USA (& Canada) has activated some scenery that shows up in the FSX "Scenery Library". All these work in the simulation as expected.However, the scenery.cfg file remains untouched! (In Vista, this lies in "MYNAME/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX/scenery.cfg" . This is the same subdirectory in which lies the FSX.cfg file. I'm not talking about the C:/FSX/scenery.cfg file which is also inert

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1

Guest Stratocruiser

Instead of the MYNAME directory, have you tried the ALL USERS directory? That was the one Luis suggested.Carey

>However, the scenery.cfg file remains untouched! (In Vista,>this lies in>"MYNAME/AppData/Roaming/Microsoft/FSX/scenery.cfg" . In Windows Vista it lies in C:ProgramDataMicrosoftFSX.

Francisco Aguiar

If the scenery you have added appears correctly in FSX are you not trying to complicate a situation that seems ok as it is?

Hello Mike,Sorry, I do not have Vista installed yet - I shall probably wait until next year.So, I cannot tell you where the correct scenery.cfg file is located. It sounds as if the copy you found is also a template.Have you tried a search of your hard disk for all copies of the file? That might turn up everything.Best regards.Luis

Thanks all. It's a treat to have genuinely concerned and helpful people on this forum.Aguiar has the answer in my case: "C:ProgramDataMicrosoftFSX". (This may be useful for others who are working with Vista and playing with their scenery files.)A tip of my cap to Aguiar.Best,Mike

--Mike MacKuen
MikeM_AVSIM.png?dl=1