Sign in to follow this  
MM

Anti-aliasing?

Guest chinga

Has anyone gotten anti-aliasing working in Acceleration in DX-10 Preview mode with a Nvidia card? Have tried all kinds of drivers because in a post by Phil i think he stated the Devs we're using pre 16x.xx drivers. I can't believe this got by the Devs or the beta testers. There has to be a solution.Intel E6700 @ 3.8ghz4 gig Corsair Pc2-8500 @ 1066mhzEvga 680i nVidia motherboardXFX 8800GTS 640 mb o/c @ 675/2100 163.44 Drivers2 74gig WD 10,000 rpm Raptors Raid 0Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower PsuAcer 22" Widescreen LCD

>Has anyone gotten anti-aliasing working in Acceleration in>DX-10 Preview mode with a Nvidia card? Have tried all kinds of>drivers because in a post by Phil i think he stated the Devs>we're using pre 16x.xx drivers. I can't believe this got by>the Devs or the beta testers. There has to be a solution.>>>>Intel E6700 @ 3.8ghz>4 gig Corsair Pc2-8500 @ 1066mhz>Evga 680i nVidia motherboard>XFX 8800GTS 640 mb o/c @ 675/2100 163.44 Drivers>2 74gig WD 10,000 rpm Raptors Raid 0>Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower Psu>Acer 22" Widescreen LCDYour assumption is that the flaw is in their code and not the drivers. ;)I have an 8800 GTX and have issues with AA in FS9.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Guest stpierce

ED, is that a yes or no. I would like to know too? Why respond if you can't answer the question?

Guest chinga

Ed...if i'm not mistaken the problem with FS9 and AA is with the built-in profiles that are in the Nvidia drivers. If you use Nhancer to delete the FS9 profile an create a new one with enhance application AA setting...AA works fine. This doesn't work with Acceleration and DX-10. Intel E6700 @ 3.8ghz4 gig Corsair Pc2-8500 @ 1066mhzEvga 680i nVidia motherboardXFX 8800GTS 640 mb o/c @ 675/2100 163.44 Drivers2 74gig WD 10,000 rpm Raptors Raid 0Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower PsuAcer 22" Widescreen LCD

>ED, is that a yes or no. I would like to know too? Why>respond if you can't answer the question? His reply was clear enough. If you can't understand the answer how is that his problem?DX10 anti-aliasing does not work in the preview window of the UI. All of the in-game UI is also not anti-aliased. If you're unhappy with the look of anti-aliasing, there are some configuration file tweaks you can use to control it.In the Graphics section, the "MultiSamplesPerPixel" settings specify how many samples per pixel we use in rendering to render targets. The higher you turn up this number, the more memory you gobble up and the slower the performance. Different cards support different amounts here. The amounts are in powers of two. The default value is 4. The highest my 8800 can support is 8.Also in the Graphics section is the "MultiSampleQuality" setting. This controls the quality setting of the anti-aliasing algorithm. Numbers here are manufacturer dependent. Higher numbers result in better looking pictures but have lower performance. The default value here is 1.If you set the MultiSamplesPerPixel value to 1 and the MultiSampleQuality to zero, you've effectively disabled anti-aliasing. Furthermore, turning off anti-aliasing via the UI settings forces these values to 1 and 0 regardless of what you have in the config file. If you put values that are too high for your graphics card, the application will fall back to using 4 and 1.Aside from the above, there are quite a few reports that the current nVidea drivers are not quite up to the task yet.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The newest version of NHancer will not allow the deletion of profiles with NVidia drivers 163+I copy >> "Since NVidia changed the way predefined profiles are handled with Forceware 163.x, it's no longer possible to delete them.":-sword ? I use 163.69, maybe I could regress the Foreware?Older versions of NHancer are available as well.I am however playing with enhancing the AA performance of the profile already there for MS Simulator XAnd now that I have the entries I want, how do I activate this new profile? Do I just close NHancer?? Not sure hereallen

I've not read of any reports of DX10 mode working as expected from nVidia or ATI users. Maybe Phil or someone from ACES could respond what working DX10 video card and driver combo they used, and suggested settings ?On the other hand DX9 mode is great, I'm not missing DX10 at all.Framerate is up in DX9, I can turn water levels to high 2.x, the new planes are just great. Best $29 I spent in a long time.The only promised benefit I'm missing is bloom, bloom in DX9 mode still kills framerate, but I dont miss it.

The P-51 alone is worth the 30$ I spentI dont see much candy in DX10 right now anyway, and that is what it would be all aboutallen

I got AA working in DX10 with my hardware specs. Don't ask me how, but I remember noticing that the AA button "unchecked" itself and with a series of "re-checking" the AA button and with a "Anisotropic" setting and FSX restarts AA within FSX suddenly worked with DX10. However, the cockpit shadows were still jaggy.Edit: This is with the latest beta drivers: ForceWare release 169.01Pat

>The newest version of NHancer will not allow the deletion of>profiles with NVidia drivers 163+>>I copy >> "Since NVidia changed the way predefined profiles>are handled with Forceware 163.x, it's no longer possible to>delete them.">>>:-sword ? I use 163.69, maybe I could regress the Foreware?>Older versions of NHancer are available as well.>>I am however playing with enhancing the AA performance of the>profile already there for MS Simulator X>>And now that I have the entries I want, how do I activate this>new profile? Do I just close NHancer?? Not sure here>allenCorrect you cannot delete profiles with 163+ drivers. However, utilizing nHancer v2.3.1, you can disable the default FSX profile (you must disable it as you cannot make changes to the default profile) that ships with the driver package and make a new profile and tweak to your hearts content.

It does work, but at a reduced level. It would be nice to be able to crank the levels up a bit to smooth out the jaggies.Hopefully, nvidia will address the issue as Phil Taylor has been in contact with them.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest chinga

Guys...Bill's suggestion works perfectly! Thanks's Bill!!!!Just add the 2 entries into your .cfg file under the (Graphics) header. I added them with a value of 8 and 2 and it works perfectly. But as Bill said the ui (or aircraft preview window) doesn't show it but you can definately notice it in game.Intel E6700 @ 3.8ghz2 gig Corsair Pc2-8500 @ 1066mhzEvga 680i nVidia motherboardXFX 8800GTS 640 mb o/c @675/2100 163.44 Drivers2 74gig WD 10,000 rpm Raptors Raid 0Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower PsuAcer 22" Widescreen LCD

>Guys...Bill's suggestion works perfectly! Thanks's Bill!!!!>Just add the 2 entries into your .cfg file under the>(Graphics) header. I added them with a value of 8 and 2 and it>works perfectly....Just to be clear is that the fsx.cfg file ?Do you have AA checked in FSX?What about the 8800 settings, do you have application control?What 8800 drivers are you using?Thanks would like to try to get DX10 working.

>ED, is that a yes or no. I would like to know too? Why>respond if you can't answer the question? I can not get the current drivers for the nVidia cards to correctly support AA. Period.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

>Ed...if i'm not mistaken the problem with FS9 and AA is with>the built-in profiles that are in the Nvidia drivers. If you>use Nhancer to delete the FS9 profile an create a new one with>enhance application AA setting...AA works fine. This doesn't>work with Acceleration and DX-10. >>>>Intel E6700 @ 3.8ghz>4 gig Corsair Pc2-8500 @ 1066mhz>Evga 680i nVidia motherboard>XFX 8800GTS 640 mb o/c @ 675/2100 163.44 Drivers>2 74gig WD 10,000 rpm Raptors Raid 0>Thermaltake 750watt Toughpower Psu>Acer 22" Widescreen LCDNo... it did not correct AA on my system. In windowed mode AA is working great... if I switch to full screen... *poof* AA is gone.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69