Sign in to follow this  
ahuimanu

EH101- Surging Engine & Rotor Speeds

LOL - Those sling load tutorials/missions are a nightmare. I racked up tons of hours on Jordan's & Nemeth's stuff and my Dodo (even the 206 in FSX is pretty good, plucked many swimmers out with it in Kevin's Palm90 etc missions) - but I'm having a wreck trying to get that EH101 hover in one spot (and at consistant altitude), let alone trying to compensate for the perpetually increasing and decreasing rotor speeds. (its go from about 90 to 120, repeating on a consistant loop)That surging engine sound is hard to fight your natural reflex of compensating for, it would be nice to fix that and figure out how to stop the rotor speeds from that darn increase/deacrease. A few have posted about it over at Hovercontrol, saying it a bug that just didn't get quite squashed due to time contrains.Appreciate if anyone has some ideas what I could tinker with in the cfg to help, or could you switch out an airfile or something? I guess I could crank the realism to nothing, but I'd rather try and fix it.Regards'Garett

Guest fsxmissionguy

Garrett,Can you post a link to the discussion over at Hovercontrol. I can't find the thread you mentioned.Cheers,Kevin

For the time being I have turned the realism all the way down when I fly the EH-101.I don't like doing that, but it really makes it fun to fly. Or learn to fly in my case.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

>Yep, that's one of them.>>You have to manually add the last part of the link, as it>doesn't catch for some reason.>>Thanks>>Garett>>http://64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard...=ST;f=1;t=13427>>and>>http://64.34.169.161/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard...=1;t=13341;st=0>>About 3/4's the way down on page 1.>>Well, that's a REAL drag. It makes the helicopter VERY annoying to use and thus negates much of its utility. The surging engine and rotor speeds are NOT "as real as it gets." And this has crept into the Robinson? I'll have to check that out.Eye candy features make the cut, but bugs pertaining to aircraft realism take the hindmost. It seems that way to a lay person.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Well, read a bit in the SDK and made a few changes. While I've got a few hours on 206's, haven't a clue what a EH101 is like - and I'm no FS flight dynamics guy thats for sure. But here's what I changed, and I run at full realism on all sliders. If your going to try it, just make sure you back yours up first prior to adding this. Maybe some nice rotor guru will fix the EH101 up down the road, as its such a nice model.Under {Helicopter}reference_length = 74.1 reference_frontal_area = 125.0reference_side_area = 308side_aero_center = -38.0lift_aero_center = -34.0 right_trim_scalar = -10.0correlator_available = 0governed_pct_rpm_ref = 1.0governor_pid = .75, 0.25, 0.92, 0.01, 0.15rotor_brake_scalar = 10.0torque_scalar = 10.0tail_rotor_translating_scalar = 0.5cyclic_roll_control_scalar =1.5cyclic_pitch_control_scalar =4.0pedal_control_scalar =0.4collective_on_rotor_torque_scalar = 0.1under {fuselage_aerodynamics}drag_force_cf = 0.52side_drag_force_cf = 10.0pitch_damp_cf = -6.0pitch_stability_cf = .85roll_damp_cf = -6.0yaw_damp_cf = -0.9yaw_stability_cf = .5And I changed the: static_pitch = 0.75 (at the end of {contact points})And as a side note if you what to try and rem this out after://governor_pid = .75, 0.25, 0.92, 0.01, 0.15 you'll get rid of the engine cycling. However, you have to use prop inc/dec to get the rpms up on start up. After that the blade will spin wide open (at 225 or so) as theres no PID settings to run the govenor. Have fun, with the decreased torque settings - it's not to bad. Hardly realistic, but blade torque doesent seem to be working anyways from my impression. At least I finished the sling missions, without swearing ... ;)Regards'Garett

>Well, that's a REAL drag. It makes the helicopter VERY>annoying to use and thus negates much of its utility. The>surging engine and rotor speeds are NOT "as real as it gets." >>You mean you are having problems flying the EH-101?This confuses me, I do hear it surging but it doesn't seem to be affecting the flight at all. ??RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Round two ... Reduced most of the buffeting, and did a little more reading & testing. I pulled most of the main torque out and adjusted the collective on rotor, so you still have to pedal out increased collective. Running still at full realism. I'd done screwing with it, as I'm trying to figure out how to put a winch on my Nemeth CH-53. ;)Under |Helicopter|reference_length = 74.1 reference_frontal_area = 125.0reference_side_area = 308side_aero_center = -38.0lift_aero_center = -33.0 right_trim_scalar = -0.25correlator_available = 0governed_pct_rpm_ref = 1.0governor_pid = .75, 0.25, 0.95, 0.01, 0.15rotor_brake_scalar = 10.0torque_scalar = 0.75tail_rotor_translating_scalar = 0.5cyclic_roll_control_scalar =1.75cyclic_pitch_control_scalar =4.0pedal_control_scalar =0.6collective_on_rotor_torque_scalar = 0.7Under |fuselage_aerodynamics|drag_force_cf = 0.52side_drag_force_cf = 10.0pitch_damp_cf = -8.0pitch_stability_cf = 0.75roll_damp_cf = -6.0yaw_damp_cf = -1.0yaw_stability_cf = 0.20Under |MainRotor|Position = -30.5, 0, 13.9 Radius = 30.51max_disc_angle = 7.0static_pitch_angle = 2.0static_bank_angle = 0RatedRpm = 210Number_of_blades = 5Weight_per_blade = 286.0inflow_vel_reference = 56.0weight_to_moi_factor=0.577000

it is psychological. I get used to it like I get used to the brakes on my car squeling when I use them - it sucks and needs fixing, but it still "works."

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guest crosherg

Yes I totally agree with one of clinks suggestions there, commenting out the line://governor_pid = .75, 0.25, 0.95, 0.01, 0.15is a good quick fix for eliminating the engine surges in the EH101. It certainly stopped me tearing my hair out with the hoist missions and puts you back in control of the aircraft rather than feeling it's the other way round.

Guest sleat

Hi,>I guess I could crank the realism to nothing, but I'd rather try and fix it.Amen to that. Tried these numbers in the pid, no other significant changes, and the surging and yawing is gone.governor_pid = .5,1,400,0.01,0.01Note that many sets of numbers will work, but we are looking for a tuning which brings the rotors up to optimal RPM and keeps them right there, without hunting. The coefficients above do that. Be careful of yanking up the collective, you may get ahead of this governor and slow the rotor down.Wait for the engine RPM to stabilize, it overshoots a bit on startup, but then locks in, at least for me. I fly RC helis, and if one of mine did like the out-of-box EH-101, I'd definitely try to fix it.Cheers,Joe