Sign in to follow this  
boris4356

Some EH-101 Questions

I was wondering what side does the pilot sit in the EH-101. I realize that in most helos the pilot usually sits on the right, but in the EH101 in Accelleration, there is an extra MFD on the left, and the right side has a blank spot where it looks like an MFD should be.I also saw a show on TV about the rescue of a Finnish crew at sea by a Canadian CH-149 Cormorant(EH-101)and the pilot was sitting on the left in the dramatizations. Was this just TV inaccuracies or does the pilot really sit in the left seat? I googled this, but couldn't find anythingI was also wondering what the OEI gauge is, with the 1-2-3 horizontal bar that continuously slides up and down the vertical bar whether there is collective input or not. Also, why do the numbers on the torque gauge keep changing even though there is no input from the collective. What does it mean when it shows negative numbers.I tried googling to find out how the gauges worked, but again couldn't find anything. I enjoy flying this helo, even though I don't have a clue what the gauges are telling me. I am also having a hard time keeping it at a steady altitude. I am porpusing all over the place.I think Accelleration is great value, but it would have been nice if there was a manual to explain the gauges.Thanks,Bill

Me too Bill....I wish the new planes had complete manuals...I've found some help for the F18 though....search the for the thread "F-18 manual"

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest fsxmissionguy

In this model of the EH101 - the pilot seat is on the right, copilot on the left, by design.The missing MFD bothered me too, but there's a benefit (sort of) to this ... and that is that when you are in hoist operations, you can open a second view (hoist view) and place it in the empty space where that MFD is missing, and it sort of becomes a new camera MFD! Makes hoist operations much easier.There appear to be a couple of bugs in the gauges that you are noticing. The torque gauge doesn't properly reflect accurate current application of torque and the collective gauge is not right either (this is combined with engine noises that incorrectly match the guage, but not actual flight). I have read elsewhere these bugs did not get fixed due to time constraints.Even despite these shortcomings, I think it's a beautiful model and most flight operations can be simulated even with the guage issues.

>In this model of the EH101 - the pilot seat is on the right,>copilot on the left, by design.>>The missing MFD bothered me too, but there's a benefit (sort>of) to this ... and that is that when you are in hoist>operations, you can open a second view (hoist view) and place>it in the empty space where that MFD is missing, and it sort>of becomes a new camera MFD! Makes hoist operations much>easier.>>There appear to be a couple of bugs in the gauges that you are>noticing. The torque gauge doesn't properly reflect accurate>current application of torque and the collective gauge is not>right either (this is combined with engine noises that>incorrectly match the guage, but not actual flight). I have>read elsewhere these bugs did not get fixed due to time>constraints.>>Even despite these shortcomings, I think it's a beautiful>model and most flight operations can be simulated even with>the guage issues.I think the gauge/torque/engine sounds bugs are pretty lame...It is a great model, but the immersiveness and "as real at it gets" aspects of flight simulator are offset by the constant engine revving and my inability to intelligently use the panel. It is bugged and poorly documented - this is not a positive combination.The features are nice to have as a part of the SDK and I can only hope that some new models arive which are free of the flaws of the official product.The F/18, on the other hand, is very nice if not also poorly documented.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Guest Calb

The OEI gauges correspond to the digital gauge on the VC panel. They should reflect torque (collective setting) but due to a bug, they don't. The rotor RPM is constant (just as it *has* to be in the real world), it does *not* go up and down as has been suggested. If the rotor RPM was changing, you'd be able to hear a distinct change in the pitch of the transmission whine. What you hear is a change in intensity, not pitch.Bottom line: the *apparent* surging of the engines as would *seem* to be indicated by the VC or OEI gauges going up and down has absolutely no affect on the helicopter handling. Ignore it. The inability to hold a steady height during slingload pickup has no direct correlation to the gauge readings. I see no one has noticed it yet but all 3 FSX helicopters have this same problem. Unfortunately, it was discovered too late for ACES to do anything about it.Anyone who has trouble picking up and placing sling loads (or using the hoist) probably needs to polish up their hovering skills. The parameters you must meet for the load to attach are very generous -- far in excess of real world. Realize that maintaining a dead steady hover at 70 feet is somewhat more difficult than at 5 feet. You cannot see undesired movement as well. And for those who insist on using the VC, I can only say, you are operating with a handicap, IMHO, but I'm sure others see it differently. Cal - CYXXFSX Beta tester

Question: If the rotor speed isn't going up or down, what are the turbines spooling up and down to try and maintain?"Bottom line: the *apparent* surging of the engines as would *seem* to be indicated by the VC or OEI gauges going up and down has absolutely no affect on the helicopter handling."Except for the fact when these 3 turbines are spooling up (in the mentioned cycling) to maintain the governed speed of something they create torque. Torque translates into yaw. Wouldn't be so bad if the spool up was gradual. Either way you can reduce the impact of this by dropping the realism, but its still there.LOL - If you time your conections and drops in between this cycling, at least its one less variable to worry about as you put an 8' skid on an 8'6" truck bed.Regards'Garett

Guest Calb

The engine gauge system on the EH-101 is broken. The Manifold Pressure reading for the R-22 is also broken. You simply have to ignore them. As I've said, they have absolutely no impact on the handling of the helicopter.You *don't* have to time your connects or drops in between cycles. As I've said repeatedly, they have nothing to do with how the helicopter handles.I don't find setting the pallet onto the flatbed truck all that difficult. Putting two items on it (so they don't overlap or touch) takes a little more doing. Getting three items on it without touching is difficult because they have to be very close together. Even then there's a little bit of overhang at each end (and the sides, of course).Here's a screen shot of the flatbed with two loads. As you can see, there's lot's of room for two.Cal - CYXX

Guest crosherg

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with the comments that the EH101 engine surges do not affect handling in the EH101 - they do. The engine surge causes the aircraft to alternate between yawing right and then left every 10 seconds or so, and it is related to the engines - you can prove that by applying the fix below.The fix is a quick one which in effect disables the rotor governor.Edit the EH101 aircraft.cfg file and look in the [helicopter] section for the line with "governor_pid" and thencomment it out thus, //governor_pid = 0.25, 0, 0.9, 0.01, 0.15 Make sure you use CTRL+F4 at engine start to get the rotors up to speed if you use this fix. I haven't noticed the problem in the Bell Jetranger. In the Robinson, even though you see the gauge and engine sounds changing, it does not noticeably affect handling in the hover. In the EH101 though it's a big problem and makes the hoist missions a nightmare. The fix above is quick and dirty but it will remove this instability in the hover - check it out.

Guest Calb

The quickest and easiest solution to the yawing is to move the torque slider all the way left.Cal - CYXX