Sign in to follow this  
Bob Familton

Acceleration is great, but a few details are a no-go

>I`m not silly man.>Do you do it like that?>I`ll tellyou, with 2D Panels i need 2 Seconds for tuning in a>new frequency.>In the 3D Cockpit, despite the "3D Panels" you need a lot more>time. First you have to cycle to it (or move view in 3D>VC)then dial it in, which is harder in 3D than in 2D and also>worser to see, and then cycle back to normal view.>That will last... let`s say 10-15 seconds and it`s more>useless work.Well, you COULD open the panel.cfg file and simply add a 2d popup panel yourself, but that'd require about five minutes work...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill, I always enjoy and respect your posts here, but that's a bit harsh. I've been doing the MS-FS thing for quite a while but I am still not conversant on hacking .cfg files. IMO the FS-X-A aircraft are in an unfinished state, as compared to the original FS-X ones, and we shouldn't have to become config file experts to get what we've always gotten "for free".Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

>Bill, I always enjoy and respect your posts here, but that's>a bit harsh. I've been doing the MS-FS thing for quite a while>but I am still not conversant on hacking .cfg files. >>IMO the FS-X-A aircraft are in an unfinished state, as>compared to the original FS-X ones, and we shouldn't have to>become config file experts to get what we've always gotten>"for free".Dave, you are right. It was a bit "harsh." No excuses offered, but my apologies are extended.The new aircraft were deliberately designed to *not* have 2d panels, so they are by no means "incomplete," at least not in the usual sense of the term. Adding a new sub-window isn't difficult at all. In fact, the question should have been, "How can I add a radio stack to my new Acceleration aircraft?"First open the panel.cfg file for any a/c that has a "radio stack" popup, such as the C172. Copy/paste the entries for that popup to the panel.cfg file for your target aircraft:[Window Titles]Window00=Main PanelWindow01=Radio Stack // add this entry//--------------------------------------------------------{Window01}Background_color=2,2,2 size_mm=156,308window_size_ratio=1.000 position=8visible=0ident=RADIO_STACK_PANELwindow_size= 0.243, 0.641window_pos= 0.756, 0.358zorder=3gauge00=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Audio, 0,0,156,31gauge01=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Nav-Comm 1, 0,29,156,59gauge02=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Nav-Comm 2, 0,86,156,59gauge03=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio ADF, 0,142,156,41gauge04=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio DME, 0,180,156,41gauge05=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio Xpndr, 0,217,156,49gauge06=Bendix_King_Radio!Bendix-King Radio AP, 0,262,156,48Now when loaded in the sim, pressing Shift-1 will "popup" this radio stack in any active view, including the VC.Of course, the above is only an example. For the actual aircraft it might be best to substitute the actual gauges that a/c uses, but this example can serve as a "template" for further tweaking.I have no doubt that before long some kind person who has the time and skills will create some 2d panels that can be "added" to the new aircraft, and will also include some helpful popup panels as well.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks Bill - although I didn't ask the original question, I will use your template as a guide to add panels to the Acc. a/c.BTW my "incomplete" comment was made from the perspective that default FS aircraft have always had 2D cockpits, and I certainly expected a payware addon *by Microsoft" to have 'em. Due to the way I have my hardware setup (projector for front view, monitor below that for instruments) 3D cockpits don't really work for me. I was really looking forward to a glorious 2D panel for the Merlin - had I known it was not forthcoming I would've been ranting about it a long time ago. If it was mentioned somewhere early on that Acceleration would not have 2D cockpits, I certainly missed it.cheers,Dave.

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

I have certainly posted about this on multiple sites, that it was a design decision to not have 2D panels.

>I have certainly posted about this on multiple sites, that it>was a design decision to not have 2D panels. Well, like I said, I definitely missed that - but I was too busy at work to really follow a lot of the Acceleration pre-release back and forth for a while.I cornered one of the MS guys at the Avsim conference last weekend about this (and for the record, he said that he agreed with me) but I'll say it again: Please do not abandon the concept of 2D panels. I understand that perhaps in FS-XI the included planes might not have 2D panels anymore (which would really suck, to be honest, but I know that I'm not representative of the typical at-Costco FS impulse buyer) but I would hope that the tools for aftermarket developers to make 2D panels would not be abandoned.And, I'm also hoping that this moving away from 2D panels by MS does not give the impression to the aftermarket folks that this is OK. It's not.thanks for the response, Dave Blevins

Guest slydon

Yeah it makes an awesome addition to my closet where I keep all my old junk!!!