Sign in to follow this  
Guest j0nx

Acceleration DX10 Quirks

Hi, I discovered a couple of quirks with my limited use of the DX10 preview in Acceleration. I don't know if it's just my setup or if others have the same problem.First, I've noticed missing buildings/bridges at nightime when in DX10 mode. Maybe others can see if they have the same issue. The Lake Washington bridges east of Seattle are there during the day, but gone at night. Also, I noticed the large hangar west of rwy 13R at KBFI is missing at night. What gives? With DX9, the buildings/bridges are there both day and night. I haven't ventured much beyond this area, so I don't know how widespread it is. I know it's nighttime, so they can't be seen very easily anyway, but still.Also, graphically, all my perimeter fences are a solid gray with DX10, I haven't heard of anyone else mentioning this.I am using the nvidea 8800 GTX, if that makes a difference.Thanks,Kevin

Guest j0nx

I too have noticed many of the same graphical issues. I also see flashing runways, horrible loss of frame rate and a few other little quirks with water and ground textures. I just don't see how dx10 support passed beta tests in this condition. dx10 just simply doesn't work in this sim. Dx9 runs great now but dx10 is like something my 12 year old son coded. The acceleration pack is very nice so don't get me wrong. I am referring only to the dx10 patch. I kept seeing pictures of the magic of dx10 on microsofts flagship flight simulator game but all i got was a piece of code that took away more than twice my frame rate and gave me none of those nifty little light and water effects that i saw on those fsx movies online :(

It was only 18 months ago that the "magic" screenies came out and Chris Donahue from MS claimed an 8x improvement in performance with DX10:http://au.gamespot.com/video/931252/614198...vista-interviewThe original DX10 FAQ then claimed a 5 times performance increase.This year MS then claimed DX9 parity, but a 27% improvement with bloom and water shaders, with a screenshot as "proof".What is the real difference? 50% plus performance LOSS, many graphics issues, the menu crashes and backwards compatibility is broken!BUT, the problems are not in the FSX code. Its all in the driver and an update from Nvidia should fix everything (no guarantees though!)Now we have to work on FS11 and there will be no futher updates to updates. Enjoy you DX10.:-lol

I am also having the flashing runways and just recently noticed that in my home town Cuernavaca, Mexico, there are barren lines crisscrossing the mountains and patches of dessert throughout the city, none existent prior to installing acceleration DX10 enabled. I am guessing from reading other posts, that there is definitely a driver problem with Nvidia 8800GTX cards with DX10 Enabled in the simulator that is causing some sort of texture corruption.I believe in one of the post Taylor is working with the team and Nvidia concerning these issues, I hope they come up with a solution soon.

Guest j0nx

I have not seen philtaylor admit to a definitive issue with nvidia on the dx10 problem. I have tried 3 different drivers, even with one that goes back 4 months and the performance is still abysmal. I ask again why this wasn't discovered in the beta tests? I haven't seen anyone say that they were getting anything but a loss in dx10 so I'm pretty sure that it's not just a handful of us having the major dx10 slowdowns. It sure would ease my mind a bit to hear philtaylor say that there is an issue with the driver and that nvidia is escalating it. This is after all microsoft's flagship dx10 entry and deserves a much better showing than this to tout microsoft's much hyped dx10 upgrade! Fsx in dx9 rocks the house gents, but dx10 should never have left the barn like this and you know it.

Guest Lennyt

With DX10 enabled and with my video card set at 4x AA I get bad jaggies. If I enable it in FS I get a significant frame hit.Under DX10 I get blurries, a roughly 20% performance hit, anomalies appearing on runways (moving shadows for example). The only obvious "advantage" I see is the shadowing in the cockpit. This occured with Nvidia's beta driver and 163.69 which I've now gone back to.I've returned to DX9. The performance with full autogen has been good and the blurries are gone.The DX10 implementation in FSX has been a disappointment.Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz, 3 gb ram, 8400GS 256mb, Vista Home Premium

Guest j0nx

The silence on the issue is also disturbing. It's almost as if they spent 20 minutes throwing a dx10 option in the sim as they worked on the acceler pack just to satisfy their promise to have dx10 to those few of us that have vista and the 8800 card. This thing just makes dx10 in general look untenable as a development platform, especially coming from the folks that invented it!! If they can't get it right then what does that say about vista and dx10? The sim runs nicely in dx9 but for those of us that bought vista and the 8800 to run in dx10 i guess we are just out of luck. Very frustrating. All that would be needed is some kind of communication that the issue is real and that they are working on it.