Sign in to follow this  
jonss1948

Well, here's the thing.

I have already reported in other forums, that I have decided to support FS9 with 'serious' aircraft and add-ons. So Far, I have purchased the PMDG 737-800/900 and the 747-400 'Queen of the Skies'. Also. on recommendations, I have purchased and downloaded, Active Sky (so, extremely cool) and FS2Crew, (an unbelievably, great add-on for immersive, FS realism). I guess the reason for my post is that I'm at the stage where I need some encouragement from fellow members, because, right now, I feel a little lost and it's not because of the A/C and add-ons I have purchased. The fact is, I'm not a Pilot but I'd love to have had the foresight, in my early life, to become one. Suffice it to say: "I have the utmost respect for those who have had the conviction to attain their expertise". They're almost, another sex :-)My problem is: The jargon, but mainly, understanding how to actually program a flight plan into the FMC. OK, with all the tutorial flights and such, I have no problem. You're walked through it and it's easy but when it comes to formulating my own Flight Plans, My ability, at this time, is seriously lacking. I have the 20 flight version of FSNavigator ( which I will be purchasing next payday) but it terrifies me, mainly because I do not completely understand the jargon ie: IAP's, NPA's etc. Now, I realise that most of you people do understand this and I envy you. I'm on a seriously steep learning curve, here and I'm a little discouraged. Please, pat me and embrace me and tell me "It will not always, be so". I'm struggling and need some genuine direction. What do all you people who actually fly these A/C in 'Real Life', recommend?.........and all those who started off in the default FS9 A/C and progressed to the more accurate, 'Add-On' A/C. What did you do to become profficient?Bottom Line: I've read and reread, all of the documentation with my A/C and Ad-Ons and I suppose, I know, where the answers lie but geez, this is really hard. Any shortcuts you people know of?Jon S.

OK Jon; Here goes.....It'll be just fine, why in no time you'll know allabout IAP's, DME, ILS, ATC, FAR's, VSI's, NDB's, VOR's, AOA, IAS, TAS,PAPI, VASI, REIL, HIRL, MIRL, and if not you'll be SOL:-lol Shouldn't take over two or three years:-eek but if you want to do itquicker, check out the glossary of terms in the learning center includedwith FS. Also might want to make a trip to the FAA web site and download a copy of the AIM.

"I'm on a seriously steep learning curve, here and I'm a little discouraged. Please, pat me and embrace me and tell me "It will not always, be so". I'm struggling and need some genuine direction."Jon,My mouth is is hanging open! What are you doing to yourself? Why is it necessary to to hurry up and learn it all today?You are suppose to be enjoying this hobby. You are not in competition with anyone that I can see so why cause yourseld discouragement?Slow down, and breathe! You are going into overload and you keep buying stuff. As you go along, you are learning more and more about less and less and eventually you will know nothing at all.What bothers me is that you want someone to stroke you. Why? Do it yourself. Learn a little everyday. If all you can learn is one thing a day then do that. It's better to learn a few thing well than to learn alot of stuff poorly.Take your time, read, ask specific questions, experiment, and enjoy. Hey!>>>The one good thing about this hobby is that no one can see you mess up.:-)Now if you plan to fly on line, that may be different. I would suggest that you listen first for a while. see what is going on. then wen you are ready, kill the ego. Let them know you are inexperienced and I'm sure that someone will take you under their wing til you get the hang of it. The sooner you decide that there is alot to learn about this hobby and that you are not ever going to know it all, the easier you will have it and the more you will enjoy this thing instead of getting so discouraged that you drop it all together. Don't do that.I have a list on my computer somewhere. When I find it I will try to get it to you. However, search the forum for the last couple of months. I don't remember where but there was a topic pertaining to this and soomeone gave a website where they could be printed off. Then again, there are too many people here in the forum that will be glad to help you. Ask specific questions. Best regardsJan1,KINDWhen I push the button and it works, I'm happy:-)

Thank you everyone. Everything you say is quite correct and the links you posted have been very helpful. I suppose I might have bought too many programs at once, without realising that every one of them is quite complex and has its own steep learning curve. That said, I'm becoming better, especially with flying my beloved PMDG A/C and setting the FMC so the darn things do as they should. My fault, of course, when they don't and with FSNavigator, I am now able to formulate a cohesive flightplan and export it into the PMDG/Flightplans folder. So, my discouragement I expressed in my first post has waned somewhat and I continue with this 'learning curve', with relish.Regarding flying online: That's the ultimate goal and rest assured, the ego will certainly go on the back burner when I feel confident enough to tackle this aspect. It will be very cool but not for some time as I'm just not profficient enough quite yet.Actually, I do have another question that someone may be able to answer: I notice with the PMDG 737-800/900, many of the liveries are of A/C, not sporting the 'wingtips'. I notice also, that one of our local 'real world' carriers has a mix of 737's, some with, others without, wingtips. My understanding has been that wingtips, per se, were supposed to be the 'duck's guts' with the 737 and that they gave better directional stability and enhanced fuel economy as a result. Why do some carriers use them and some do not?Well, back to the 'learning curve'. I still have FS2Crew and Active Sky to completely understand as yet but I'm working on it. Thank you, everyone for your encouragement and support.Jon S.

Guest airbus2

You ask why some carriers use winglets and some do not. Well winglets are good, they increase aircraft economy and also make them look more modern but they take a week to install and they cost a lot of money (the price of taking a plane out of service and actually purchasing the winglets can cost $750,000USD). They also make the plane heavier. The fule cost of carrying this extra weight takes some flying hours to recover-although this is offset by the need to carry less fule due to increased range given by the winglets. Put Simply, if an airline flys short mainly short haul, they wont get much the benefit from winglets - unless they need any of the other benefits such as reduced noise or regularly operate from obstacle limited runways.

Thank you for that explanation. I did'nt consider the downtime/weight=economic viability aspect previously. I understand why most of the Australian 737's are sporting winglets. Some reasonably long distances here, so they'd pay off quite quickly.Jon S.